How to Install Plugins ×

Animated Image 2.4 - AGIF & APNG

Simon Brown

Every time that I save either APNG or AGIF, the Save Configuration shows -

Preview, file size: (error).

The saved files usually work, but not always.

I have used Firefox and XnView as viewers. Apng files made with paint.net that are larger than ~200x150 have open errors with both programs. Apng files that are 150x112 or smaller open with out errors.

I have found some larger sample apng files that open without errors in both programs.

Not that I know of. Have you tried viewing it in Firefox or Opera?

• 2 weeks later...

I think the url link is dead. I get a page does not exist message from the website when I click the link. When I tried to download another effect by you I also get a page does not exist message. Could you fix the link? Thanks, Alpha Quadrant

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, there's a bit of a weird thing going on.

First, I could get .agif renamed to .gif and there is no problem at all with the animation. I would prefer to use .apng renamed to .png, but this is where I have a problem: I could not display the renamed .png file from .apng in Firefox, which says contains errors. What's weirder, is that animated .pngs made by others (like the one on the first post of this thread), work. In the Windows Picture Viewer, it's just a blank instead of an error.

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light into this?

Edited by Earl Brooks

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be bumping this thread, but after toying it with a little with concern to my above post, I noticed something hinky.

The concept is great, yet interestingly, there's few programs that integrate making APNGs and AGIFs, and far fewer support for either objects. Sadly, I haven't had the chance to try out third party programs, but there's far fewer "free" ones that don't skimp out on the features. I realize there's no guarantee plugins will always work, but with something as rare as this, I'm disappointed there's not much attention to it.

The first thing I tried, was editing an AGIF. Converting it to open in Paint.NET was easy, and there weren't any issues. What it opens, however, is a totally different thing. Apparently, I'm assuming AGIFs were made by different programs, especially the one I worked on. I couldn't replicate it as the original one as far as the speed and timing were concerned. I feel that is a feature much underdeveloped, and probably more complicated if a first time GIF animator were trying to make one.

Secondly, even if I used the original GIF then save it as a new one, it wasn't just the performance that was the problem. The quality of the images were worse than the original, even if I hadn't altered it! This is what I don't get. Maybe, somehow someone used a different program, and happen to have a non-GIF color palette. I didn't notice any differences in the conversion when it opened in Paint. Saving it to AGIF/GIF was the issue. In this case, I would understand how one could lose quality if they had a PNG image saved to GIF. It is a bit odd, I think, that somehow someone may have magically embedded PNG to the GIF. When you use it on PaintNET, however, I think the plugin, or even the program itself, was designed to keep the AGIF to true GIF qualities, rather than maintaining consistency. I was assuming GIF - GIF wouldn't change, like it should have been. Something went wrong.

Learning from trial and error. Interestingly though, As close as I could come to replicating the original GIF I was using, I could in no way get near the same file size. I would understand if the loss of color was caused by compression, but it seems like it was decompressed. Theoretically, I could try compressing it somehow, but I'm afraid that would just make it worse than it already is. I'm not sure if this is what is causing it. If I were to post it on a forum that has a file size limit (it is well within the acceptable dimension restrictions), I couldn't post it, as it would be violating its TOS because of a stupid little thing as this.

APNG seems to work half the time, I think. IIRC, it's the same issue with file size. It seems to be a little more bloated than normal, or maybe it's because of all those frames. It actually doesn't take very much to be oversized than the original.

Hi. Please, does anyone have a solution to the i/o error when saving an apng using Win7 x64. The java aspect, i think, is null, as I uninstalled all java on machine and still have same problem. And I do not know what the "linked command line utility" is but I do not see it in google for Win 7. I was able to save 2 out of about 20 attempts, so it is not a "barrier". It is simply an obstacle, more than occasionally getting in the way. I am borderline desparate to get this going as I have some things I need to get completed and I am completely lost with the cli option and only have a pc, not a linux box. And I cannot use online methods as the images are way too many in number and size. Any alteration, other than OS reinstall will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

splinter_logo_3_by_dipperdon-d4tqqf5.png

Thanks, Simon. That did the trick. I had actually installed the latest version last week and still had the trouble. I decided to reinstall both pdn and the plug-in and it is working smoothly. Many thanks.

splinter_logo_3_by_dipperdon-d4tqqf5.png

I don't know what it is, but I can't save agif nor apng files. I just get ERROR as output size and there is no preview in the save window whatsoever.

Of course, the file is unusable.

Requesting a display delay on a per-frame basis, maybe have the dragbar in the save dialog as basic delay between frames and use the layername of the image as adjustment (+10 for 10msec longer display, -10 for 10msec shorter display before going to the next frame), too.

I know you are not responsible for pdn's png handler, but I think it'd be nice if you could incorporate some sort of optimization in the apng handler, or a function that removes similarities to the background / last frame and saves only the differences.

Yes, pretty much like avi works (as far as I know).

I don't know what it is, but I can't save agif nor apng files. I just get ERROR as output size and there is no preview in the save window whatsoever.

Of course, the file is unusable.

The output size and preview thing is a known issue. Are you sure the file is unusable? (Try the APNG in Firefox or Opera.)

KaHuc.png

the weird thing is: the jpg works! at least my firefox identifies it as png graphic, probably due to it's png header.

anyway, to avoid causing an apileptic seizure i set the display time to 3000 ms (3 seconds) for all frames.

by no means is this the finished file, i need to resize it and add some more frames as well.

The animation is fine, you created it in APNG Assembler, right?

I opened this animation in paint.net without problems, but couldn't re-save it as APNG. The result is definitelly broken.

Yes.

1zpmsty.jpg

whatever i do, this is what i get. and the outputfile was redicolously large as well, each jpg frame is between 50kb and 60kb, but the finished product exceeds 500kb. that might be the cause of paint.net's png handler, but in these cases, every bit of information helps.

and the outputfile was redicolously large as well

That's a completely different thing, not related to animation. Convert any JPG to static PNG in any program, and you'll see the same thing.

Same here. For animated PNGs.

The Save Configuration - File size: Error.

File doesn't work.

============================

Tried another one.

The Save Configuration - File size: Error.

File works.

Go figure.

Edited by Sarkut