Animated Image 2.4 - AGIF & APNG

Simon Brown

AGIF test using this plugin

test.gif

APNG test using this plugin

test.png

APNG using a firefox plugin

testa.png

The second image does not work for me. Is this from the Paint.NET plugin?

What's the Firefox Plugin you're using?

Edited by Earl Brooks

The second image does not work for me. Is this from the Paint.NET plugin?

What's the Firefox Plugin you're using?

The second image is from the this plugin here, and as you state, it's NOT working, no matter what browser, this plugin can open it, but the bottom layer would look like if it was just a new layer, just at the bottom (totally transparent), the last image is working in browsers that support APNG, if the browser doesn't support it just whows one frame, for the firefox addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/da/firefox/addon/5519/

CookiesSigPDN2.png

The second image is from the this plugin here, and as you state, it's NOT working, no matter what browser, this plugin can open it, but the bottom layer would look like if it was just a new layer, just at the bottom (totally transparent), the last image is working in browsers that support APNG, if the browser doesn't support it just whows one frame, for the firefox addon: https://addons.mozil...fox/addon/5519/

OK I'll try the Firefox one.

Interestingly enough, if I downloaded the second picture (just saved in the original .png extension), in the pictureviewer it is pretty transparent. When I saved the third picture int he .png extension (since I can see it in Firefox), it only shows the first picture and doesn't animate. So, with that comparison, the plugin doesn't work. I have the same experience with the second picture.

Actually, in just a little side note, since most of the plugins I have are made by Simon Brown, right now, most of them do not work. They'll just crash on me (but I can continue working). That is, except this plugin, which only partly works because it can still edit AGIFs. I'm thinking that most of the plugins probably worked in older versions of PDN, which I think is kind of sad.

OK I'll try the Firefox one.

Interestingly enough, if I downloaded the second picture (just saved in the original .png extension), in the pictureviewer it is pretty transparent. When I saved the third picture int he .png extension (since I can see it in Firefox), it only shows the first picture and doesn't animate. So, with that comparison, the plugin doesn't work. I have the same experience with the second picture.

Of course it doesn't work in a picture viewer, they dont support animated PNG's just like most browsers

CookiesSigPDN2.png

The first frame of the picture is supposed to show up, is what I was saying.

Yeah, first frame is broken too. That's how it looks in TweakPNG:

captures.png

Two identical IDAT chunks? That is not right.

Repros for me, unfortunately I'm a bit short of time at the moment.

That's how it looks in TweakPNG:

Thanks for telling me about that tool, should be useful.

KaHuc.png

I'm under the impression that this plugin isn't working right at the moment so I'm going to wait to see the outcome of all this. I don't understand what the advantage of this plugin is, compared to Microsoft Animator for instance. I used MS Animator to assemble my current sig after making 6 different frames with PdN (each frame was on it's own layer). Maybe someone could enlighten me.

Edited by PeterPawn

Yeah, first frame is broken too.

The first frame shows up for me in the picture viewer (or at least a frame). The fact that I know it is animated, and that it an image appears in picture viewer means it works. Firefox is one of the few browsers that actually play APNGs. The first and third posted image work. Again, the second one (claimed to be made by the PDN plugin), does not work. This was also tested by using the plugin that takes apart the animation frame by frame.

Also, as I mentioned before, I'm wondering why taking an original aGIF (what or where it comes from is not a concern), redone with the PDN plugin reduces the original quality of the GIF? I don't think it's supposed to do that, especially since I don't think I've ever had this happen to me with saving a GIF to GIF. This might need to be looked at more.

Fix posted. Note that this doesn't fix the save preview bug.

This is an update, right?

Okay, I don't know if I'm missing something here, or what, but... I don't see APNG support in that plugin pack link, at all. I downloaded the zip file and extracted it where it belongs, but the only plugin DLL is "AnimGIF.dll". Nothing for APNG. When trying to save in Paint .NET, now, the .agif save option shows up, but .apng/"Animated PNG" is nowhere to be found on the list. Attempting to manually type in the filename results in a "filename.apng.pdn" file.

Am I just being stupid, or was the animated PNG dll file removed?

It's called AnimGIF.dll for historical reasons. As long as you put it in the FileTypes folder, the APNG option should show up. Also make sure the DLL isn't in a subfolder of FileTypes.

Obh8s.png

KaHuc.png

Have you closed and re-started Paint.NET since installing the .dll?

Yes. I even reinstalled Paint .NET, put in the DLL, then started Paint .NET, and all I get is the .agif option. As you can see, at least the agif option is present, which means it is recognizing the dll, it's just not showing the apng option for some reason. Nothing shows up under plugin errors, either.

EDIT: It's version 2.2.0.0. It's the version from sbplgbest-1288913429.zip.

Edited by Jaitsu

Did it work before the update (assuming you used it then)?

I believe I had this plugin through the "Megalo OMG TEH COPYRITE VIRUZ Plugins Pack" previously, for about two months, and have never had APNG support. Not sure what version that was, though.

Edited by Jaitsu

I believe I had this plugin through the "Mega Malware Pack" previously, for about two months, and have never had APNG support. Not sure what version that was, though.

If you installed that pack then you have a large load of out of date plugins and possibly viruses & malware as well.

The 'Mega' pack is an illegal distribution of many plugins. The authors of these plugins are being ripped off by this crowd. My investigations have revealed that the site distributing that pack is linked to many 'adult' sites. There is a strong possibility that you already have their malware installed on your PC.

You should do a comprehensive virus scan of your system immediately, then delete all the plugins in you EFFECTS and FILETYPES folders and download the latest and uncorruped versions from this forum.

THE ONLY SAFE PLACE TO GET PLUGINS IS THIS FORUM. If you ignore this warning you do so at your own risk - DON"T SAY YOU HAVEN'T BEEN WARNED.

You could have maturely and privately messaged me about this to ask me to edit my post to remove the mention of this useful dastardly bundle of convenient evil plugins rather than doing it yourself and trying to make me look like an idiot.

The pack is clean (scanned with several reputable scanners, before and after unpacking; not so much as a false positive. I am careful. It's a simple RAR self-extracting archive.) and as of its most recent update contains working, useful, relatively up-to-date versions of the same plugins available through this forum; it's not as if they stripped the author data from the DLLs and injected keyloggers into them. I apologize if any of the plugin creators whose free plugins were put into the pack honestly, vehemently hated the thought of their plugins being put into a convenient (gasp!) pack that people would actually find via Google as opposed to having to scour the forum to piece a collection of plugins together one-by-one off the forum; if any of them really do, I will gladly delete these plugins and never use them again.

I suppose I'll be banned for putting my two cents in, here, so, ta. (mods: have fun wiping this post and replacing it with "dur I m stupud doodo hed who donludz virus plugnz," I'll be off writing my own APNG handler)

Edited by Jaitsu