How to Install Plugins ×

Animated Image 2.4 - AGIF & APNG

Simon Brown

Simon,

This is a great tool. Your GIF animation is a great addition to PDN. I know this would require more of a user interface and since I haven't done any plug-in development, I don't know what would be involved or if it's even possible given the hooks available.

Instead of exporting each layer as a frame in the animation, it would be nice to add an animation editor that would allow one to manage the frames independent of the layers. The idea would be that I would add a frame (and the length that frame is displayed) and I can modify what layers are part of that frame. When I select a frame in the animation list, I can then show/hide layers that are associated with that animation frame. That gives us a lot more flexibility when creating animation sequences since many frames would share the same content of a layer. If you go this far, it would be also nice to have the ability to change the time of each frame individually verses all sharing the same time.

I've mocked up an animation window just for reference here:

AnimationExample.gif

It uses the same interface we are all familiar with with layers.

I am sure there are plenty of plug-in developers that can help. At some point my skills will get to a level where I can contribute as well, although that will likely be a while! :)

Thanks again for a great contribution.

--Ed

That's too bad. Hopefully the developers will see a need to expand the exposed APIs, which would give developers writing plug-ins more capabilities. It would be well worth the effort.

Great plug-in regardless. Thanks again.

--Ed

Where does the plugin show up in pdn?

It doesn't show up in any effects menu since it is a file format. If you drop the plug-in in the folder:

C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes\

you will see a "Animated GIF (*.agif)" item in your file types drop-down menu when you "Save As..." from the File menu.

AnimatedGIFSaveDialog.gif

(You have to restart PDN after installing a new plug-in before it will show up.)

--Ed

That's too bad. Hopefully the developers will see a need to expand the exposed APIs, which would give developers writing plug-ins more capabilities. It would be well worth the effort.
Well, after reading a blog post from Feb 5, 2009, it appears that we might get what we're asking for, but we have to be patient.
Paint.NET v3.5 is a stepping stone towards a hopefully epic v4.0. I’m slowly rebuilding the application from the inside out, and it takes a lot of time to do the necessary research and development. About 2 years ago, right around the time I was preparing to release Paint.NET v3.0, I had this nagging feeling in the back of my head that said basically “ur doin’ it wrong”. My document model was wrong, my application model was brittle, and I just couldn’t implement really cool features without using up a ton of memory. I also couldn’t provide features like scripting or a better extensibility model (plugins) in a manner that was both safe and powerful.

However, I didn’t really know how to solve all of this at a scale lower than the 50,000-foot view. Since then I’ve been slowly piecing together the tools and knowledge that I’ll need to create the best version of Paint.NET ever – one that’s great both outside (for users) and inside (for developers).

I am so amazed and grateful that this program continues to evolve and is available to the public for free. My hat's off to Rick for all his hard work. (and all other developers who continue to contribute to this product)

--Ed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have two suggestions to improve this good plugin:

1-If it is possible to add a box for reverse feature that mean if you check the box, the saved GIF will play two ways automatically, forward and back

2-I think this is more difficult, is to add a feature of Use A Background , that's mean the background layer will repeat itself on all transparent frames automatically during the saving.

I hope it's clear, but the plugin is still very good as it is.Thanks

I get an error When I try to save as apng for 21 layers and up, but works fine with agif and also a tried various delays without success.

Like this file which has 35 frames, can you please open it and try to save it as apng?

galaxy200x149.gif

Unfortunately I didn't save the project as pdn and when I was trying saving it as apng it disappeared from the Paint.NET window without showing any error or crash.

It is all about the quality of the animation what i am looking for.

Once I figured out that this goes in the file types and not the effects folder ( I know, you're thinking he's not very bright is he) I was able to complete Yellowman's animated circle text tut. This is really amazing ! I have been using another GIF animator program but never posted any of my stuff here because it was not completely 100% PdN. Now I can animate some of the stuff I do here, especially sigs and avatars. This will also be a great addition to my video projects. I have been using PdN for the graphics on the last few videos and this completes the tools I have wanted. Thanks so much Simon, this is really a great addition.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

Once I figured out that this goes in the file types and not the effects folder ( I know, you're thinking he's not very bright is he) I was able to complete Yellowman's animated circle text tut. This is really amazing ! I have been using another GIF animator program but never posted any of my stuff here because it was not completely 100% PdN. Now I can animate some of the stuff I do here, especially sigs and avatars. This will also be a great addition to my video projects. I have been using PdN for the graphics on the last few videos and this completes the tools I have wanted. Thanks so much Simon, this is really a great addition.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

Why does it remove white in .gif animations? Oh, and the gif quality is way too low. >.<

E: I don't know how hard it would be to improve the gif quality, though, but if it would be possible then I'd like to see it in future versions.

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
|fb(page)|portfolio|blog|

Why does it remove white in .gif animations? Oh, and the gif quality is way too low. >.<

E: I don't know how hard it would be to improve the gif quality, though, but if it would be possible then I'd like to see it in future versions.

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
|fb(page)|portfolio|blog|