Exploding planets

PacerCoin

This tutorial is available as a free PDF. Click here to open or download the PDF

I'm a li'l shy about posting this as I'm fairly new to the program and I don't know if something like is has already been done or is common knowledge but I'll never know unless I do it. So here goes.

I wanted an exploding planet but I couldn't find any images I liked or that were big enough. After searching for a while and finding a few exploding planets that were made in Photoshop I figured I should be able to do something like it in PdN. It took a few tries but I finally got something I liked.

1. I started off by finding some dry mud.

2. Copy the image and paste it as a new image. (Ctrl+Alt+V)

3. Now invert the color of the image. (Ctrl+Shift+I)

4. Select the Ellipse tool and select an area of mud. (as big or as small as you like just as long as it's somewhat centered)

5. Invert the selection (Ctrl+I)

And then delete it.

6. Now fill in the blank section with black.

7. Next step is to bulge the image. (Effects -> Distort -> Bulge...) This makes it look round and thus planet-like. For this image I used a bulge of 31%. Do what looks best for your size of image.

8. Now duplicate the image (Ctrl+Shift+D) (Rename the layer if you wish)

9. On the new layer, adjust the blending to Color Burn.

10. Duplicate the image you just did the Color Burn on and adjust the blending to Additive. (You might be able to skip this step if your mud is fairly dark.)

11. Now Merge Layer down (v3.0) so that you only have one layer to work with (You should only have to do it twice)

12. Time for some glow. (Effect -> Glow...) You'll have to adjust the glow depending on the effect you want and the image. You'll need more or less depending on how many cracks your "planet" has.

13. Now duplicate the image. After you've done that, on the new layer do a Zoom Blur. (Effects -> Blurs -> Zoom Blur...) I used 48% use more or less to your liking.

14: On the image we just did the blur on, adjust the blending to Lighten.

15: Final step. Turn the saturation to zero (Adjustments -> Hue/Saturation) now merge down and you're done. (Again, depending taste and the type of mude you use, you might want to skip the saturation step)

That's that. Here's an image I did with some different mud. I simply changed the hue before I started.

• Upvote 3

Cool tutorial! ^^ I'll try this out. The red one you made looks a little blurry to me in my opinion, but eh, it's awesome anyways :3

Edit: This is what I made:

Explode.png

Asplode! :O

Bunnie.png

7. Next step is to bulge the image. (Effects -> Distort -> Bulge...) This makes it look round and thus planet-like. For this image I used a bulge of 31%. Do what looks best for your size of image.

Step_07.jpg

At this step it would be better if you used the Sphere Plugin set to about 15.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

• 2 weeks later...

My perception is that if a planet explodes, chances are that the sun is nearly dead and thus is either expanding (as our sun will do) or is becoming extremely dark (implosion, and what the sun in my picture is doing) casting the planets into an internal freeze.

From our view they'd then be black (or dark). So an explosion (implosion?) from the inside would be the only light visible, and since each planet has a different core (color, size, heat, etc), the color would be unknown, so I made it green since it works well being bright over black.

Sig2.jpg

My perception is that if a planet explodes, chances are that the sun is nearly dead and thus is either expanding (as our sun will do) or is becoming extremely dark (implosion, and what the sun in my picture is doing) casting the planets into an internal freeze.

From our view they'd then be black (or dark). So an explosion (implosion?) from the inside would be the only light visible, and since each planet has a different core (color, size, heat, etc), the color would be unknown, so I made it green since it works well being bright over black.

Riiight. Now in english :P

sig6rj3.png

Madjik: Lol yeah. I was gearing for implosion, though the title said "Exploding" so I decided to say that first.

Trickman: That was in English :-p I'm only a 17 year old with three siblings working in NASA....Or rather two as one died on Apollo 1...

Hm.. Do you understand my logic though?

Sig2.jpg

...I'm only a 17 year old with three siblings working in NASA....Or rather two as one died on Apollo 1...

OK, is Bokunic your married name or something?

Apollo 1

Crew:

Virgil I. Grissom

Edward H. White II

Roger B. Chaffee

Backup Crew:

Walter M. Schirra, Jr

Donn F. Eisele

Walter Cunningham

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

...I'm only a 17 year old with three siblings working in NASA....Or rather two as one died on Apollo 1...

What? He can marry at 17 o.O?

sig6rj3.png

Apollo 1

Crew:

Virgil I. Grissom

Edward H. White II

Roger B. Chaffee

Backup Crew:

Walter M. Schirra, Jr

Donn F. Eisele

Walter Cunningham

Virgil "Gus" Grissom was my Dad's cousin, therefore he is (was?) a relative of mine, though I never met him, obviously.

Trickman: Lol. He means that if a female was born and then married another man resulting in my last name. In this case my Grandmas was that woman, who remarried to my gandfather who became the father of my father in the 60's. That's how it works.

Sig2.jpg

Cool tutorial! ^^ I'll try this out. The red one you made looks a little blurry to me in my opinion, but eh, it's awesome anyways :3

Edit: This is what I made:

Explode.png

Asplode! :O

That one looks good.

Apollo 1

Crew:

Virgil I. Grissom

Edward H. White II

Roger B. Chaffee

Backup Crew:

Walter M. Schirra, Jr

Donn F. Eisele

Walter Cunningham

Virgil "Gus" Grissom was my Dad's cousin, therefore he is (was?) a relative of mine, though I never met him, obviously.

Then, that hardly makes him your sibling. :roll:

Perhaps I used the wrong term, but he was still part of the family. And had he survived that mission I would have surely met him as my dad is rather close with all of his direct cousins (not second or later cousins, direct as in first cousins) - whom I have met.

Sig2.jpg

WOW :shock: Very nice tut, and the results are more than out-of-this-world! You can even place your planet on a starry sky to make it look authentic.

EDIT: This is my planet:

2w65p35.jpg