How to Install Plugins ×

Smudge

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After updating to the new version of PDN:

Paint.NET v3.5.9 Beta, build 4278

I had a crash when trying to use the 'Smudge' Tool, so i uninstalled and reinstalled the new version Smudge 3.0 I continue to get the same crash:

File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\Smudge.dll

Effect Name: pyrochild.effects.smudge.Smudge

Full error message: System.MethodAccessException: PaintDotNet.PdnInfo.get_UserDataPath2()

at pyrochild.effects.common.PngBrush.GetSurface()

at pyrochild.effects.common.PngBrush.GetSurface(Int32 maxsidelength)

at pyrochild.effects.common.PngBrush..ctor(String brushName)

at pyrochild.effects.smudge.ConfigToken..ctor()

at pyrochild.effects.smudge.ConfigDialog.InitialInitToken()

at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectConfigDialog.Constructor() in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\Effects\EffectConfigDialog.cs:line 112

at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectConfigDialog..ctor() in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\Effects\EffectConfigDialog.cs:line 106

at pyrochild.effects.common.CanvasConfigDialog..ctor()

at pyrochild.effects.smudge.ConfigDialog..ctor()

at pyrochild.effects.smudge.Smudge.CreateConfigDialog()

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffectImpl(Type effectType) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 799

I really love this tool, it has done so much for my work. Please tell me there is an update or simple correction to the crash.

that goes without saying, but if you wish to find out about the bugs they must first be reported. I can and will revert back to my old version, but i guess trying to be informative is not what is meant to be in forums for software such as this. i stand corrected sir/maddam you are right, i should not rely on "beta" versions of software, and should not rely on the persons who build and establish known "addons/plugins" for such software as competent.

Thank you again for your courteous and informative answer.

I really don't appreciate your attitude. You're the one who highlighted this part of your post:

Please tell me there is an update or simple correction to the crash.

Clearly you were not just reporting a bug for my sake, you were begging for a fix.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

D: happens with you're 'ScriptLab' Plugin too

I hope there's an easy fix for this, I was going to use that to automatically adjust over 300 pictures D:

Seems to give the same error code. Hope you can fix it soon mate. I can survive until then. Too lazy to revert back a version lol

SamusSig-1.png

I really don't appreciate your attitude. You're the one who highlighted this part of your post:

Clearly you were not just reporting a bug for my sake, you were begging for a fix.

I was not 'begging' for a fix, i was emphasizing the hope that there would be a solution without reverting back.

as far as attitude i have no attitude.

You on the other hand, gave attitude in your original response.

My reply was direct and to the point. Your response to that was dripping with sarcasm. Further, you called me incompetent.

Do not post in this thread again unless it's about Smudge. If you want to continue arguing with me, feel free to be ignored in my PM inbox.

xZYt6wl.png

that goes without saying
Discussion should have ended here. You reported the bug, so a solution is in the works. If you are reporting the bug because the plugin doesn't work and you need it, pyro gave you a perfectly reasonable answer and there is no need to argue about it.

Back on topic: pyro, is there a planned release date for the next version of smudge? I really like the background color change option, but I don't really trust beta releases with my projects... Actually, let me rephrase that: I don't trust myself to save often enough so that I can safely use beta plugins :lol:

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Oh hey since I'm here...

Pyro is there any way for your plugin to show layers below the one I'm working on?

The smudging works great and all that, but it gets really hard to reference where the results will be, or how I want to smudge something based off the layer below it, when I only have 1 layer to look at.

I don't want/need access to switch working layers, just the ability to see it any below it

SamusSig-1.png

Pyro had explained that before, but I can find where was that on this forum.

You just need to right click in the working area in the plugin to see some more options, From Clipboard option I guess is what you need, hope this help.

EDIT: sorry for the confusing, I meant "but I can't find where was that on this forum"

Edited by yellowman

pyro, is there a planned release date for the next version of smudge?

Should be either before 3.5.9 goes gold or at most a couple days after.

Oh hey since I'm here...Pyro is there any way for your plugin to show layers below the one I'm working on?The smudging works great and all that, but it gets really hard to reference where the results will be, or how I want to smudge something based off the layer below it, when I only have 1 layer to look at.I don't want/need access to switch working layers, just the ability to see it any below it

Yeah, what yellowman said. The plugin can't see your other layers, so you have to copy what you want into the Clipboard first, then set the clipboard as the background for Smudge.

xZYt6wl.png

• 2 weeks later...

Umm, so I've had the Smudge Plugin for awhile and all has been well. But then after installing (what I thought was) an updated version (it's named Smudge BETA) , and it doesn't have all my brushes, only the one it came with. When I went to find the old plugin, I only found the same one. Can anyone help me out?

Sig Battle Wins: 5
DigitalTypographyNightvision.gif
My Gallery
| Smoke>Flames Tutorial

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 4% who will

Why are you still using the beta version? I released an update a week ago.

The brush folder changed to avoid conflicts with the Custom Brushes plugin. Go to the brush list and choose Add/Remove Brushes to find the new folder.

xZYt6wl.png

Well I went to the effects program folder and it was named "Smudge" ,but in paint.net when I select the plugin for use, it's listed as Smudge BETA. So I was confused on that contradiction

Sig Battle Wins: 5
DigitalTypographyNightvision.gif
My Gallery
| Smoke>Flames Tutorial

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 4% who will

• 2 weeks later...

Q: Have you tried downloading the LATEST release?