How to Install Plugins ×

Smudge

In the smudge brushes dropdown list I have 2 brushes and then the option to add/remove brushes, the Custom Brushes folder opens up, yes, but I am unable to use any of the brushes, If I try to select one it just opens up in windows picture viewer. I have all my custom brushes where they are supposed to be and all the required dll installed.

What file type is the brush you try to install?

CookiesSigPDN2.png

So why can I not select the "sample brush" ? That one is not in a subfolder.

Because it's a sample and is deliberately excluded.

I just coppied a brush to the custom brushes folder instead of the subfolder it resided in, seems to work now, thanks for the help.:)

I'm glad you got it working finally :D

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Pyrochild plugins are awesome! But... I can use all the plugins in the Pyrochild pack, apart from the smudge. I have it installed in the right drive along with all the other plugins, but the smudge doesnt show up at all. Ive tried uninstalling just the one plugin, uninstalling all my custom plugins, but nothing works. What should i do?

Pyrochild plugins are awesome! But... I can use all the plugins in the Pyrochild pack, apart from the smudge. I have it installed in the right drive along with all the other plugins, but the smudge doesnt show up at all. Ive tried uninstalling just the one plugin, uninstalling all my custom plugins, but nothing works. What should i do?

Are you using the latest version of Paint.NET (3.5.5)?

Are you using the latest version of all the plugin files?

Do you have pyrochild.effects.REQUIRED.dll installed in Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\ with the rest of the plugins?

Is there anything listed in Utilities -> View Plugin Load Errors?

Are you looking in the correct location (Effects -> Tools -> Smudge)?

xZYt6wl.png

• 3 weeks later...

I have PdN v3.5.5 and the only version of Smudge that works is this one...

copyright 2009,

product version 2.3.3599.36650

To check this just right click on the smudge dll file, and click on the details tab.

I have all of Pyro's latest plugins but had to keep this version of smudge.

Edited by PeterPawn

I'm sorry blush.gif but, what about the gray background (instead chessboard pattern) to Smudge Effect? It's really need! cray.gif

You are very persistent. Hopefully I can get that done by the end of the year, but I really am very busy with school, work and other coding projects. And soon, snowboarding.

xZYt6wl.png

• 2 months later...

Hi, I am new to the forum and new to really working with PDN. I am just getting into doing a lot of effects and stuff. I really needed a smudge tool for a project I am working on, and found this thread. I DL'd the tools from box.net and installed them in the effects folder of PDN program files. I get this error when I try to open the Smudge tool -

File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\Smudge.dll

Effect Name: pyrochild.effects.smudge.Smudge

Full error message: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.String PaintDotNet.PdnInfo.get_UserDataPath2()'.

at pyrochild.effects.common.PngBrush.GetSurface()

at pyrochild.effects.common.PngBrush.GetSurface(Int32 maxsidelength)

at pyrochild.effects.common.PngBrush..ctor(String brushName)

at pyrochild.effects.smudge.ConfigToken..ctor()

at pyrochild.effects.smudge.ConfigDialog.InitialInitToken()

at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectConfigDialog.Constructor()

at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectConfigDialog..ctor()

at pyrochild.effects.common.CanvasConfigDialog..ctor()

at pyrochild.effects.smudge.ConfigDialog..ctor()

at pyrochild.effects.smudge.Smudge.CreateConfigDialog()

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffect(Type effectType)

I am using PDN.v 3.36

Any help or direction on what I am doing wrong will be greatly appreciated!

Gina

• 1 month later...

hello guys,

thank you very much but I can' t find it in my effects ! I have add it on my "effect" folder, but in Paint Net, when I go to "Tools", I don' t see "Smudge" !! Look at this please:

2cc00c7a62dddb751167c15bcb628.png

There is "liquify" wich looks like "Smudge" but I don' t think it is. So if you can help me please ?

2cc00c7a62dddb751167c15bcb628.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank you Pyrochild for this great Plugin. I've been away from the forums now for some time, but was very active 2 years ago. I still use PDN almost on a daily basis, but real life has kept me away from here. Your plugin is one of my most used effects, not only for Custom Backgrounds, but a very useful tool to soften up edges of Cutouts/Renders that Feathering couldnt totally dispose of.

I've got a question tho... if there is work on a newer version being done, could you look into why the tool takes so long to open when you have lots of brushes loaded? If I'm doing several projects at one time, I may have 200 brushes loaded into Simons Mini-Brush tool. All Brushes in Simons tool are automaticly imported to the Smudge tool (which I find good, saves me having to import them myself). It takes up to 2 minutes to open the Smudge tool when large amounts of Brushes are in the Choose Brush Section.

Anyways, thanks for this fantastic tool... :beer: & :pizza: are on me mate.

Jud@s

Juds_Fire_sig.png

100% PDN

I've got a question tho... if there is work on a newer version being done, could you look into why the tool takes so long to open when you have lots of brushes loaded? If I'm doing several projects at one time, I may have 200 brushes loaded into Simons Mini-Brush tool. All Brushes in Simons tool are automaticly imported to the Smudge tool (which I find good, saves me having to import them myself). It takes up to 2 minutes to open the Smudge tool when large amounts of Brushes are in the Choose Brush Section.

It takes a long time with a lot of brushes because when it starts up, it reads every image file in the Custom Brushes folder and resizes each one to the thumbnail you see in the dropdown. This can be a lot of work on slower computers and/or when there are a lot of images.

What I've wanted to do for a very long time is make this only happen once, and then cache the smaller thumbnails so this doesn't need to be done on every start up. I also want to make the thumbnails load in the background so the plugin starts instantly, but does not show every thumbnail immediately (similar to the way the font previews work in Paint.NET).

Unfortunately, this is a lot of work and I have very little free time lately between work and school. When I do get time to code, I tend toward newer projects. I could have worked on this instead of Liquify, but then... we wouldn't have Liquify. :)

xZYt6wl.png

I don't know why, but even if I delete brushes from my Custom Brushes folder, all the brushes I delete still get loaded into all the PDN brush tools I use (Liquify, Smudge, and Custom Mini Brush for example). I've even put my Custom Brushes Folder on a USB stick and deleted the whole folder but all brushes were still loaded into the Brush tools when I restated PDN eventho I had no Brushes at all in my PDN folder or on my PC (as far as I know).

And btw, I'm on a 4x3.40Ghz & 8GB RAM PC and it still takes me 2 minutes to load the tool. But I can live with it seeing what the tool does for me :D

Juds_Fire_sig.png

100% PDN

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why, but even if I delete brushes from my Custom Brushes folder, all the brushes I delete still get loaded into all the PDN brush tools I use (Liquify, Smudge, and Custom Mini Brush for example). I've even put my Custom Brushes Folder on a USB stick and deleted the whole folder but all brushes were still loaded into the Brush tools when I restated PDN eventho I had no Brushes at all in my PDN folder or on my PC (as far as I know).

And btw, I'm on a 4x3.40Ghz & 8GB RAM PC and it still takes me 2 minutes to load the tool. But I can live with it seeing what the tool does for me :D

In Smudge, at the bottom of the brush selection dropdown, there is an entry like "Add/Remove brushes." Click that, and make sure you're deleting the brushes from the right place.

xZYt6wl.png