How to Install Plugins ×

Smudge

pyrochild

:UnsavedChangesSave:Download from my plugin set :UnsavedChangesSave:

btn_donate_SM.gif

Every popular image editor has a smudge tool, and now Paint.NET can be popular, too! ;)

Effects > Tools > Smudge

smudge.jpg

2cg2eer.png

Want to make a cute monster like this one? Check out this tutorial by Marken.

Even if you don't find it cute, the tutorial is still a good introduction to smudging.

Here's how to use brushes to get different styles of smudging: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/29947-advanced-smudging/

To install more brushes, they must be in PNG format. Put the file in Documents\paint.net User Files\Smudge Brushes

Smudge only cares about the alpha channel (transparency) of the brushes; color data is ignored.

To change the background color or use a picture, right-click on the image in Smudge.

To change the frame color, right-click on the frame.

:UnsavedChangesSave:Download from my plugin set :UnsavedChangesSave:

btn_donate_SM.gif

For developers: Smudge is on GitHub! https://github.com/bsneeze/pdn-smudge

• Upvote 5

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Holy.

Carp.

'Nuff said.

*downloads*

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Don't go counting your chickens before the pack of rabid ravaging foxes attacks. -Sozo

My parents would disown me if they knew I worship fish...

Holy.

Carp.

xZYt6wl.png

Finally, the smudge tool is out on PDN. Never thought it'd be released. Thanks.

PS: Isn't this plugin also from GIMP?

.:Latest:.

14b6u5j.png

Is it possible for plugins to have PDN shortcut keys like "Ctrl+Mouse wheel=Zoom in and out" & "Shift+mouse wheel= Pan left and right"?

When opening a new window like Smudge?

And there is a bug? (kinda)

When using smudge on an object with a transparent background. It will treat the transparent part as black.

Open the attached file in PDN to see what I mean.

2868_ed463b5ebb049cef3ef11044255249e9

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

Is it possible for plugins to have PDN shortcut keys like "Ctrl+Mouse wheel=Zoom in and out" & "Shift+mouse wheel= Pan left and right"?

When opening a new window like Smudge?

When using smudge on an object with a transparent background. It will treat the transparent part as black.

Open the attached file in PDN to see what I mean.

That is, if I am correct, because the color of those transparent pores are black and Smudge does not smudge alpha levels. Could be wrong, we will just have to wait for Pyrochild.

signature.png

I appreciate this fantastic plugin; especially when used with custom brushes you can achieve impressive results.

However, I get massive performance issues when using it with larger pictures (above ~ 1000x800 px). It tooks a while until the smudge effect is rendered, what drastically reduces usability (you have to wait 1,2 seconds until you see what you've done). Also the CPU goes crazy. I never had such problems with GIMP. Smaller pictures (e.g. 640x480) work fine with the plugin.

In my opinion it needs performance tweaks. (Indeed, I have no dual-core.)

In my tests the missing undo-ability was also a problem.

And maybe - maybe - future releases of this plugin should go in "Blurs". The reason for this idea is mainly the rather empty Blur menu compared with the overcrowded Distort menu.

However, no one can doubt that this plugin is a great addition to Paint.NET and hopefully goes to the tool window for 4.xx. :)

Thank you very much, I've been waiting for it ~

Thank you kindly for this exceptional plug-in which perfectly complements your host of other effective tools to be found here free of charge. Your gratuitous nature is very much appreciated in public communities and forums such as this. Have you ever considered politics?

ray.png

OH MY GOD. This is just great. :shock:

Thank you so very much.

Edit: Ran into a thing to bee careful about.

#1 Use smudges in on layer on a multi layer PDN.

#2 Pres OK

#3 Go to a deferent layer and hit ctrl+f.

This makes the smudge effect SUBSTITUDE the original layer with a copy of the layer from # 1 and #2.

Not a bug, but something to be aware about.

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

AH MAY ZING.

Simply the best plugin IMO other than Custom Brushes!!! Goodness gracious I need to try this out. Very good job Pyro.

Oh btw, is there going to be a panel like in photoshop where we canadjust scattering, dynamics, size, spacing, texture? That'd make me leave photoshop for good, btw. :)

Edit: Ran into a thing to bee careful about.

#1 Use smudges in on layer on a multi layer PDN.

#2 Pres OK

#3 Go to a deferent layer and hit ctrl+f.

This makes the smudge effect SUBSTITUDE the original layer with a copy of the layer from # 1 and #2.

Not a bug, but something to be aware about.

This plugin does NOT work properly with Effects > Repeat x or [Ctrl]+[F]. I do not intend to fix this - ever - so don't even ask about it.
:P
PS: Isn't this plugin also from GIMP?

The GIMP has a Smudge tool built-in, and I used the icon from that. The code is all original, though. GIMP source code is a nightmare.

It already supports the brush-size shortcuts, so there's no reason I can't expand on that and follow even more of the shortcuts, sure.

I didn't want to deal with alpha values in the first release. For now it just ignores them. It will be fixed soon.

However, I get massive performance issues when using it with larger pictures (above ~ 1000x800 px). It tooks a while until the smudge effect is rendered, what drastically reduces usability (you have to wait 1,2 seconds until you see what you've done). Also the CPU goes crazy. I never had such problems with GIMP. Smaller pictures (e.g. 640x480) work fine with the plugin.

In my opinion it needs performance tweaks. (Indeed, I have no dual-core.)

Performance tweaks on the way!
In my tests the missing undo-ability was also a problem.
Undo on the way!
And maybe - maybe - future releases of this plugin should go in "Blurs". The reason for this idea is mainly the rather empty Blur menu compared with the overcrowded Distort menu.
Indeed. I'll consider it.
However, no one can doubt that this plugin is a great addition to Paint.NET and hopefully goes to the tool window for 4.xx. :)
Rick and I discussed this briefly a while ago. Once I get the performance better on single-core systems, we can start really discussing it.
Oh btw, is there going to be a panel like in photoshop where we canadjust scattering, dynamics, size, spacing, texture? That'd make me leave photoshop for good, btw. :)
I don't know what those do. I'll have to get my hands on a copy of Photoshop so I can play with it. But yeah, bringing this Smudge tool on par with others like GIMP and Photoshop is definitely a goal I'm willing to work for.

xZYt6wl.png

Well in photoshop.. you can take a brush. Then in the smudge/brush menu you can choose if it spaces, scatters, the density, variation, hardness, power, etc.

I'll try to get you a video of what I mean.

Pyrochild does this plugin have the ability for me to add my own brushes? like SABrown's brush system? (in a brush file) I'd be interested in developing some if there is.

According to the first post (I am about to install this myself) it allows you to use brushes you have already installed for the CustomBrushes plugin.

KaHuc.png

Is there a chance of a zoom function?

Sure.

xZYt6wl.png

Will you ever make Bad Plugins?

Awesomeness!

WHATZ.png

wear our signature and earn 50 studiocredits. pm me your username if you want to participate.

Will you ever make Bad Plugins?

Stitch is a bad plugin. So were Film and Borders N' Shapes before I rewrote them.

xZYt6wl.png