Added Bezier points an option?

I'm not sure how to utilize this site to my advantage as of yet so please bear with me.

To BolBait, or any plug-in designers.  I was wondering if you could design a plug-in in where the Bezier slimmed to a point at the ends, eg instead of an arrow head or curved it will be a point like a bendy needle?

at the moment I am using curved tipped (beziers) in black for eg. then using (white) beziers on top of the black ones to overlap the tip and turn it into a point. (as shown in image)2016-08-27 (1).png

This would be useful in outlining characters or objects. its not a necessity but helpful.

• Upvote 1

There are quite detailed tutorials by BoltBait and others. You need to have some knowledge of C# to write plugins, since that's the language Paint.net uses. Plugins are most often written using a feature of PDN called CodeLab, but can also be written using the Visual Studio development system (versions of which are free). This is explained in the tutorials.

• Upvote 1

I'd really like to have those sort of tapered lines too.

There's nothing in the .NET Framework that will provide that style of end cap, nor have I seen any 3rd-party libraries that offer it.

Having said that, I think I might be able to hack something together. I'll try to work on it next weekend.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

C# is a programming language, and CodeLab is a sort of editor/compiler that allows the C# code to be immediately executed within Paint.net. I wouldn't say C# is too similar to HTML, which is a markup language. (Given a choice, I'd much rather write C# than HTML.)

If you read the beginning CodeLab tutorial, you will see some simple plugin examples showing how the pieces fit together. You really don't need to know much C# to write plugins. C# has lots of fancy features that are seldom needed for plugins. All most plugins do is go through pixels in the destination buffer (the one containing the image after it's been modified) one at a time and calculate each pixel's color. The calculations can be rather complex, but the concept is straight forward.

Unfortunately, I think the plugin you're interested in for this thread is on the upper-end of plugin complexity. It probably requires fairly sophisticated knowledge of Microsoft's 2D rendering system, GDI+. As head_toe2001 mentioned, the tapering line-ends isn't something built in to the .NET framework, which makes the problem considerably more difficult.

I've been playing with a tapered line renderer. Unfortunately the forum update & ensuing problems got in the way.

@ProlificDesign, you said you're using Bezier Curves, but in your screenshot, it shows Spline Curves is selected.

Please clarify which type of curve you're using, as they work very differently.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab