How to Install Plugins ×

Custom Brushes Plugin 5.1.5

Also, what would be the advantages of the (Angular Sense) rotate feature. I am not convinced it wouldn't cause a performance lag. The plugin currently stores two brushes in memory (the masked version and the unmasked version). With such a feature it would have to, of course, store 16 brushes at a time. And each time the user selects a new colour or brush - it would have to render a rotation 14 times.

KaHuc.png

What I'd like to see is brushes that change when you drag, instead of repeating the same image again and again. You could have a folder in Paint.NET User Files> Custom brushes, and that folder would have brushes in it. The plugin would just load these files and make each one appear in order or randomly, via checkbox. That does sound pretty hard to code.

Of course, I am still planning to allow the program to accept the standard format.

With a special format I could remove that annoying option of whether to mask the brush or not in most cases as this could be determined on a per-brush basis by the creator.

KaHuc.png

Any other suggestions about the potential format?

I don't think I have the knowledge to talk about such stuff, but I'd made it ZIP-based, meaning the format is a ZIP - or 7zip - with a changed extension, which includes the brushes, maybe together with an Ini or XML file (last one e.g. for autor, version etc.).

The advantage is that you can manually edit it.

I would prefer to (and find it much easier to) use a custom format and create a program and FileType to allow creation and editing of brushes. This way I could also give brush creators the ability to do things such as require users to accept terms before using brushes. But this is mainly because I don't want to include another DLL with my plugin which I felt uncomfortable doing with AVIImport.

KaHuc.png

I would prefer to (and find it much easier to) use a custom format and create a program and FileType to allow creation and editing of brushes. This way I could also give brush creators the ability to do things such as require users to accept terms before using brushes. But this is mainly because I don't want to include another DLL with my plugin which I felt uncomfortable doing with AVIImport.

I wouldn't mind having two DLL's. If it's annoying code-wise, but I don't think anyone is going to rant about the plugin having two dlls. pyrochild uses two dll's (pyro-thing-common) for a few of his plugins, if not all of them, and no one is saying anything about it (I think). Then again it's not like anyone would... :P

Two DLLs are only slightly more difficult to deal with than one. :-) I'd say, go for it.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I will create a FileType plugin and a seperate application (if the format supports) multiple brushes. And yes, the plugin will still support the old format.

Which old format... PNG..?

However, regarding translation stuff:

1) You should mind doing it the same way like Toli did, which means that the strings are stored in INI files. People could upload INIs with the appropriate translation, and if anyone doesn't like a localization, he could change it on his own without nagging you.

Effect programmers, feel free to use IniFile.dll (ask me for technical support). Just don't credit yourselves for coding it.

2) If you gonna move Custom Brushes to the Tools submenu, you should not localize the submenu string. In the German version (I'm not experienced enough to say what is correct for other languages), the Tools Window of Paint.NET is also called "Tools". Google might give you "Werkzeuge", which is rather something like this. The English term is used in Germany as well for computer software.

Also, and this counts for any language, if you localize "Tools" and e.g. pyrochild* does not, you would get two "Tools" menus if you don't use English - one localized and one English.

This is not of importance if you use INIs or quit the localization.

---

The tools menu is intended for canvas-type plugins. I created it as I have plans for more plugins of this type.

Interesting idea. I may follow your lead on this one.

Small issue I noticed, the preview only shows the layer you're working on, would it be possible for it to show all the layers at once?

Unfortunately that is impossible - the only way it could be achieved is if RB extends the API to allow plugins to access all layers.

KaHuc.png

Small issue I noticed, the preview only shows the layer you're working on, would it be possible for it to show all the layers at once?

Unfortunately that is impossible - the only way it could be achieved is if RB extends the API to allow plugins to access all layers.

Is API being extended to allow plugins to access all layers one of those "can/will be done in PDN 4.0" things? :? :wink: