How to Install Plugins ×

Custom Brushes Plugin 5.1.5

Simon Brown

This plugin has been discontinued. I recommend using

CustomBrushesMini instead.

Scroll down to see and download the legacy, unrecommended, deprecated plugin.

Click here unless you like bloated plugins.

Download Plugin | Download SDK | Download Firefox Extension | Provide Feedback

One of the most eagerly awaited features planned for Paint.NET v4.0 is custom brushes. But wait no more - while this is not as good as having them incorporated into the program at least its a start. This plugin lets you draw on a canvas with a custom brush.

9h76ly.png

Brush Sharing Thread | Brush Sharing Website | Chatroom | Converting Photoshop Brushes | Brush-Creation Tutorials

How can I install it

To use it, install the plugin the normal way and then open up My DocumentsPaint.NET User FilesCustom Brushes. To make a custom brush just add a new png file to that folder.

How can I create a brush the changes each time it is used?

To create such a brush, put several PNGs in a zip-archive and change the extension to .cbb. Then put it in My DocumentsPaint.NET User FilesCustom Brushes.

Hidden Content:
[reason]Update Log[/reason]
1.5: No Longer Brush Limit; Create Brushes more easily; New Brush
2.0: Mask Brush Option; Easily Add New Brushes; Brush Number Limit Bug Fixed
3.0: Ability to change brush colour from window; smaller icons; search function; zoom ability; dialog is now topmost
3.2: Bug fixes, stamp option, transparency grid.
3.3: Fixed brush colour bug
3.7: Window Maximizes on startup; Search Box now labelled; French, German and Spanish translations for important interface elements; Custom Right-Click Spacing
3.9: Error brushes now listed, more compact size presets
4.0: Characters can now be used as brushes.
4.5: Transitional Mode; Multi-Frame Brushes
4.6: Bug Fixes; Stroke Lifetime option; Back & Fourth option
4.8: Menu shortcut to brushes folder; Selection of multiple symbols now behaves as an animated brush; Size Increase option
5.0: C# brushes; C#, CBB and PNG brushes are now loaded dynamically; Brush preview pane; Custom language files; Window normal/maximised status is now derived from that of the given Paint.NET setting; The ability to load a custom background to in brush front of that is invisible in the final result.
5.1: Language bugfix; luggin re-use bugfix
5.1.1: Fixed "brush not present" bug.
5.1.2: Fixed wrong version bug.
5.1.3: Brushes no longer loaded in real-time; Certain settings are saved when the plugin is closed
5.1.4: Yes, i'm insane. It should work now.
5.1.5: Uses a custom crashing system.

• [*:3f285o7a]
    Thanks go to pyrochild for the idea of showing a new window with a blank canvas to implement a custom brush. (
Splatter) and for his enormous help in developing this plugin.
[*:3f285o7a]Thanks to jerkfight for the icon.
[*:3f285o7a]Ego Eram Reputo for approving of implementing the idea behind WhichSymbol into Custom Brushes.
[*:3f285o7a]The developers at ICSharpCode for SharpZipLib.

ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll: License can be found here: <!-- m -->http://sharpdevelop.net/OpenSource/Shar ... fault.aspx<!-- m --> under the "License" heading.

CustomBrushes.dll: Copyright © Simon Brown 2009

Portions Copyright © Zach Walker 2008

Portions Copyright © Jerkfight 2008

Use at your own risk.

KaHuc.png

Good plugin, Simon. Although, here we are at v5.0 and I must say it has some 'useless' features (read WhichSymbol implementation)

signature.png

WoW, it helps a lot, thank you!

But why are only 20 Brushes allowed?

And how to expand this limit? :mrgreen:

rhfjdjejdca.png

Only the feather brush is available atm? And how do we go about creating one, and then switching it with the custom brush?

signature.png

Um.....

Why are you showing the dialog from OnSetRenderInfo()?

You should be overriding OnCreateConfigDialog() and returning an instance of your dialog (which should derive from EffectConfigDialog) in that.

And why, when I click the close button, does it still show what's been drawn? That should cancel the operation.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

You can't, unless sabrown100 open-sources it.

Otherwise, you wait for sabrown to do it for you.

xZYt6wl.png

You can't, unless sabrown100 open-sources it.

I will expand the limit if that is what many of the users want. I assumed 20 would be enough.

KaHuc.png

good start with brushes

one thing would like to see is if you could at least link to primary and secondary color .. don't need to change within the actual screen just if I change the colors within the main screen it would use those colors similar to how splatter is working at the moment.

oh yes is it possible to stick a round picture in there for a brush and drag it along. like a tube in that other ###%* program.

didn't check but can I specify select area with marching ants. that is just about a must.

test picture good fuzzy fluffy furry.

softbrushtest.png

Really I need help. Is the feather brush the only brush, and if not how do I switch it?

Go into your My Documents folder. IN there is the Paint.NET User Files folder. ANd in there is the Custom Brushes folder. And in there is the Feather brush folder. Copy the example from that.

xZYt6wl.png

good start with brushes

one thing would like to see is if you could at least link to primary and secondary color .. don't need to change within the actual screen just if I change the colors within the main screen it would use those colors similar to how splatter is working at the moment.

oh yes is it possible to stick a round picture in there for a brush and drag it along. like a tube in that other ###%* program.

didn't check but can I specify select area with marching ants. that is just about a must.

test picture good fuzzy fluffy furry.

I may do that. For the circle you can use transparent PNGs.

----

Should I create a thread where people can post brushes they have made?

KaHuc.png

Yes.

(and you should also post more detailed instructions for creating your own. and add GUI to make adding them easier)

xZYt6wl.png

Yes.

(and you should also post more detailed instructions for creating your own. and add GUI to make adding them easier)

Should I create an installer people can use to distribute them?

KaHuc.png

THANK you for MAKING me feal absolutely STUPID by capitalizing the word IN lol

And yes, make a thread as I have about thirteen already lol

signature.png

Should I create an installer people can use to distribute them?
Not until you add a Cancel button! :P

xZYt6wl.png

No. GD&Q.

This forum is only for publishing plugins.

xZYt6wl.png

Uhm, you need for every own brush a new ordner... Ther's no easy copy paste, please fix it :D

btw: atm im using 210 brushes :<

rhfjdjejdca.png

No. GD&Q.

Why does it need a GUI.

----

To make brush creation simpler, should I just have a brush as an image and just resize to get the thumbnail?

KaHuc.png

No. GD&Q.

Why does it need a GUI.

----

To make brush creation simpler, should I just have a brush as an image and just resize to get the thumbnail?

DEFINETTLY! Creating thumbnails is a pain.

signature.png

Uhm, you need for every own brush a new ordner... Ther's no easy copy paste, please fix it :D

Because of the huge demend - an update may support an infinite number. But to do that I will have to remove the listing from the toolbar.

KaHuc.png

No. GD&Q.

Why does it need a GUI.

----

DEFINETTLY! Creating thumbnails is a pain.

Because of all this - I will wait until the next version before starting such a thread.

KaHuc.png

Because of the huge demend - an update may support an infinite number. But to do that I will have to remove the listing from the toolbar.

Make it into a drop down menu, and allow us to categorize them similar to the Effects menu.

signature.png

Make it into a drop down menu, and allow us to categorize them similar to the Effects menu.

I'm not totally sure how to do that at runtime - I will make it a listview.

KaHuc.png