Image Umbrella: Signatures, Avatars, Logos & Text

david.atwell

CC?

The orb is rough around the edges and a little 1D, wire is kinda bent and lop-sided, every things really dark and hazy. Sorry if that was a little too rough :oops: . On the other hand I can def. see where you were going with it and for (I'm guessing) your first try at a tech sig it's pretty darn good. Try adding something around the orb so that it doesn't look like it's just floating there and add some details to the blank areas on the side. Keep at it, we need more tech sigs on this forum haha.

Puteulanus___Jake2k_by_Club_PaintDotNET.png

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^

It was a start, yes. I made a tech sig awhile back but it was just a mess around. The problem I have with them is that I can't get a good rounded-shaped object without A. it being to blurry or B. it being too unrealistic. I need help on how to get a good dirt texture without making the whole thing too dark. Oh and also, I need help on the "creases" in the metal. Where there are cracks, I don't understand how to do this. Should I use outline object? I think I might start over so that I can use your advice in a different piece.

Can someone help me with getting a good metal texture which is 3d'ish but not being A. blurry.. or B. unrealistic.

Thanks both of you for the feedback. I love tech stuff so I thought I'd have a go at it. I hope sometime to get up to Jake's level, but for now I'm a beginner. Oh and Jake, I don't take criticism roughly ever.. it just helps me improve.

Yeah, I'd say its a bit too hazy also. Tech is all about the details, so obscuring too much ruins the effect.

I really like the orb colors, though. If you could preserve them (like the inner glow around the edge) while making it more 3d, it would look pretty sweet.

I'm pretty much a n00b at this, so I'll have to give it a try. If I come up with anything cool tips, I'll gladly share.

Gl&hf.

===========================================================================

Edit:

XorBIANT.png

Omgz, Xor style. Purple and xorchrome flow great. x_x

(failed experiment(1/2 way .pdn(s)ftw))

seamtex.png

(5 mins)

Some type of metal texture+seam/weld+screw...Thing....>_>

Duz it wurk?

I need to find a way to add scratches to the metal without them looking cheap. -_-

•♪♫♫♪•

FoolsBlood.png

|- The Rules -|- çobblestones -|- CaMo -|- MeTaL -|

╠═╧╨»Φ«╨╤═╣

As the previous comments said, depth of field is a cool concept, but removes a lot of detail.

I've found some quality high-res textures at http://www.darknews.com/high-res-textures/.

An easy way to make a simple seam in metal is to make a light grey 1px line with another dark grey 1px line fitting snug beside it. The order of the light and dark depends on where the light is supposed to be coming from (If the light is coming from the top then put the darker line at the top).

Have a look at jake2k's sig to see how he did the seams.

This might be some inspiration:

36thumb.gif

sig.php

As the previous comments said, depth of field is a cool concept, but removes a lot of detail.

I've found some quality high-res textures at http://www.darknews.com/high-res-textures/.

An easy way to make a simple seam in metal is to make a light grey 1px line with another dark grey 1px line fitting snug beside it. The order of the light and dark depends on where the light is supposed to be coming from (If the light is coming from the top then put the darker line at the top).

Have a look at jake2k's sig to see how he did the seams.

This might be some inspiration:

I don't want to use already made textures....

The main thing I need to work on is to keep it clean. Last night I was working on this one sig but then a blackout happened and I lost it. It was really good though, imo.

ah yes I had to find a work around for that, i'll make a little tut for you:

Ok the object is to give this red circle some shading:

2dvvj9h.png

Start by making your mask(I assume you know how to do that already, if not let me know):

e8vneg.png

Then on a new layer add your shading:

2vv9rub.png

Make a plain white layer under the shading layer and merge them together:

1zqbk8k.png

Now run the alpha mask effect and select the mask you made earlier:

15mfz0j.png

Under that place another plain white layer and merge them together:

iwkc4z.png

And run the alpha mask effect but dont select a mask file so you get something like this:

1xxjlj.png

Now you just need to make the shading black again so use the Hue/Saturation effect with these settings:

fmp84o.png

And your done!

ekriu1.png

Hope that helps man

*Mods* Sorry if this is too much for this thread, Ill make the pics links if need be.

Puteulanus___Jake2k_by_Club_PaintDotNET.png

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^

Jake, thanks man. I think the thing I've been doing wrong for shading is making a black line where I want it, then blurring.But the thing about this, is that it will make the shape look less 3d and more flat.

Thanks again. I'm going to start on a new one and use your wire tut+this new one.

PS: Yeah, I know how to work alpha mask (make mask, run it, etc.) ;)

E: anothersig2.png

^Click for dA. 100% PdN.