How to Install Plugins ×

Grim Color Reaper plugin

Jotaf

Stuart: Color Reaper is a bit... fanboyish, don't you think? Like your 10-yr-old makes a drawing of a robot with missiles and calls it Color Reaper. Oh well it might be just my imagination!

...Why would a "robot with missiles" be called "Color Reaper"?

"Color Reaper" makes sense in the context of the plugin, since it reaps a color from the image. Adding "Grim" as a prefix isn't a particularly descriptive adjective.

Grim Color Reaper is a nice name IMO, but I'm sure it's not for everyone's taste (what is?).

"Color To Transparency"? I really think this should just replace the current "Chroma Key" plugin, since it does the same operation except with a greater range of inputs.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

The idea is that it completely extinguishes the color, not only through alpha but through color modification also. So I tried to convey that through the naming too :)

I like the name "Color Extinguisher". Too bad the skull icon wouldn't really apply.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for all the nice words guys :) I'm sorry I didn't reply for a long time. I enabled e-mail notification when someone replies here, so hopefully this won't happen a lot in the future.

So, it turns out that the original plug-in is no longer compatible with PDN. I fixed it, and also decided to make it open-source! This way I can take contributions to improve this, and maybe it will also help improve other plug-ins with this sort of alpha handling.

Unfortunately the forum doesn't let me attach any files (!) so I put it in a file hosting site that I've used for some time and find tolerable:

Edit: Attachments magically started working again, go figure! You can just check the top post of this thread to download the attachment.

This includes the DLL and source code (you can open it with CodeLab). Of course I'd prefer to attach the files here, if anyone has any idea about what's happening...

Edited by Jotaf

Jotaf

Unfortunately the forum doesn't let me attach any files (!) ...

Did you try ZIPping it? I bet that would work - the forum doesn't recognise some file types.

@Yellowman: Thanks for the support, I'm glad you found it useful! :mrgreen:

@Ego Eram Reputo: Weird, it worked now! Before it would give me an error, even when zipped. You can check the top post for the attachment.

Jotaf

That's weird. Up to v3.5.9 I've had no problems with compatibility at all. And I use it a lot! I'm still to dowload v3.5.10 but, reading the changelog, don't expect any problems with that either.

Still, it's always nice to have a recent update. Thank you Jotaf. For sure I'll be using the new version as much as I did the previous one.

Xkds4Lh.png

@Djisves: That's always great to hear :) Regarding the incompatibility, there was this report:

When I loaded the old code in the new CodeLab release it wouldn't compile anymore, so I had to make a few fixes. Dunno if the DLL fared any better, but anyway as APIs evolve there's always some fixin' to do...

Jotaf

• 5 months later...

I'm sure you have good intentions, however you should always contact the plugin author and get permission before making changes to someone else's plugin.

This is especially true if you intend publically release the results.

• 2 months later...

I didn't use the color wheel because I think that, for most color removal jobs, you probably prefer to use the Color Picker, to choose a color that already exists in the image. Because of that I gave the option of primary/secondary color (and black and white which are very common backgrounds). But if you want to share a version with the color wheel it's ok by me, I'm sure some folks will find it useful :)

Jotaf

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OK I've been reluctant to use this as I was concerned about inadvertent changes. I've seen others recommend this plugin several times, especially to delete a color. So for those of you who have used this, correct me if I'm wrong... in the first example picture on the first page of this thread where the grey background existed and was replaced w/transparency, wouldn't it replace that same grey color if it exists even in small bits on the same picture elsewhere? Essentially like using the magic wand in flood mode?

• 2 weeks later...

You've probably tested it by now and my answer is too late to do you any good but, for the benefit of others reading this...

Yes it would and Yes it is, only with much better control.

I use this plugin all the time and love it. Thank you Jotaf.

Xkds4Lh.png

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Colour me stupid but how does one access the plugin at all? I'm in paint.net and I'm not seeing it in either the effects or the adjustments menu.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys. Please tell me if i can also use grim colour reaper on added canvas. I have an image, which already has transparant background but when i add canvas (to write some extra info on) the canvas is white, but to put it on a website i need it to be transparant as well. 

Hi Algaie and Welcome.  I hope I can answer your question.  If you have 'added a layer' and it is white, simply use Ctrl A and then Ctrl X to make the layer transparent.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.