How to Install Plugins ×

CodeLab v6.12 for Paint.NET 5.0.12 (Updated February 11, 2024)

You have to place the extension methods in a static, non-nested class. That's not possible with CodeLab.  Technically it could be, but it would "break" older versions of CodeLab.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

On 1/13/2018 at 10:14 AM, TrevorOutlaw said:

Is there a way to quickly preview the dialog without having to publish, move the effect to appropriate location, and run PDN to see if it works?

We got this working tonight.

You'll be able to run the script with a fully functional UI, directly from within CodeLab, without building a dll file and installing it.

preview-dialog.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

2 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

Yeah, it was low on his list of priorities... but it was high on mine.  So, I started working on it and he couldn't resist finishing it. :D

Regardless, I'm glad that you two worked on it.  I am a much more visual-orientated person, which is why coding is difficult for me.  I can see the solution in my head, but to actually translate that to something useful, LOL, nope.

For example, in the screenshot by @toe_head2001, I would want to know the exact code behind the radio button, the exact code behind the color wheel, so forth, and while I can make out how it work-ish, I still struggle to put it all together.  Logic has never been my strong suit.

Very impressive! Many thanks @BoltBait & @toe_head2001

CodeLab 3.1 Released

This is only for Paint.NET 4.0.21+!

Big update today...

Changes:

▪ Object disposal in "File > New" Templates. (BoltBait)
Create Work Surface in "File > New" Templates. (BoltBait)
▪ View Full Source without having to build a DLL file. "View Source" changed from check box to button on the Build to DLL screen. (BoltBait)
▪ Support for NestedTypes to the 'Intelligent Assistance' features. (toe_head2001)
▪ User Interface controls can now be previewed while in the UI Designer. (BoltBait & toe_head2001)
▪ The script can now be run with a fully functional UI, while still in CodeLab. Building a DLL file is not necessary to see how your final effect will look. (Does not include Help.) (BoltBait & toe_head2001)
▪ Bug Fix: reported issues with 'Format Document' (thanks, xod). (toe_head2001)

Grab the CodeLab DLL here:

http://www.boltbait.com/pdn/CodeLab/

UIPreview.png

WRKSurface.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

• BoltBait changed the title to CodeLab v3.1 (for advanced users) Released January 16, 2018
20 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

▪ The script can now be run with a fully functional UI, while still in CodeLab. Building a DLL file is not necessary to see how your final effect will look.

Hey Bolt, does that mean we can change sliders (of UI) to change values in editor dynamically while working in codelab?

EDIT: Once I reach home I will test that.

Edited by Pratyush

Rl7un0O.png

2 minutes ago, Pratyush said:
20 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

▪ The script can now be run with a fully functional UI, while still in CodeLab. Building a DLL file is not necessary to see how your final effect will look.

Hey Bolt, does that mean we can change sliders (of UI) to change values in editor dynamically while working in codelab?

When running CodeLab, you can press Ctrl+P (File > Preview) to preview your effect including the UI you have designed.

During the preview, you can slide around your sliders, change your colorwheel, etc. and you'll see the results immediately just like having your effect installed.

HOWEVER,  once you click OK on your effect, it reverts back to how it is in the code editor.

15 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

When running CodeLab, you can press Ctrl+P (File > Preview) to preview your effect including the UI you have designed.

During the preview, you can slide around your sliders, change your colorwheel, etc. and you'll see the results immediately just like having your effect installed.

HOWEVER,  once you click OK on your effect, it reverts back to how it is in the code editor.

Good , that it reverts back to how it is in the code editor once preview is closed. It would be very annoying if set values changes in editor to anything arbitrary after running previews. 

But one can find it useful if there is an seperate option in file menu (or whichever menu indentation option is)  to use functional UI to set or change value  variable in Editor.

Edited by Pratyush

Rl7un0O.png

1 minute ago, Pratyush said:

But one can find it useful if there is an seperate option in file menu (or whichever menu indentation option is)  to use functional UI to set or change value  variable in Editor.

Not going to happen.  Sorry.

11 hours ago, BoltBait said:

Let's see, which of these two is faster and easier?

A -  Typing a number into the editor.

B -  Opening the File menu, clicking a menu item, moving a UI control around to adjust a value, clicking OK.

I fail to see how one could find option B to be useful. More work and more time consuming.

bp-sig.png

CodeLab 3.2 Released

This is only for Paint.NET 4.0.21+!

Tiny update today...

Changes:

▪ Fixed a crash in the Preview UI screen and the Preview Effect screen. (toe_head2001)

If you tried to preview a UI that contained a Double Vector control [+] it would crash paint.net.  Sorry about that!

I found the bug when I was rewriting CodeLab Tutorial #7:

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/32107-how-to-write-an-effect-plugin-part-7-extra-surface/

• Upvote 1

• BoltBait changed the title to CodeLab v3.2 (for advanced users) Released January 17, 2018

The preview feature is one of the best CodeLab improvements ever! I've long longed for the ability to alter the control values within CodeLab without editing them by hand (and remembering to change them back before saving the source code). CodeLab has improved by leaps and bounds in the last week.

From here 

On 3/11/2006 at 6:58 AM, Rick Brewster said:

Please note that this is experimental technology and is not meant to provide a robust development environment.

to here.

How far codelab has come. May be someone can review it. 

EDIT: *May be someone can review Codelab as a tool 

Edited by Pratyush

Rl7un0O.png

On 1/18/2018 at 12:45 AM, Pratyush said:

How far codelab has come. May be someone can review it. 

If you want to see how far CodeLab has come, just read this page:

http://boltbait.com/pdn/CodeLab/History

If you want to see what the first version looked like, there are screenshots of it in the first post of this thread.

14 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Let's see, which of these two is faster and easier?

A -  Typing a number into the editor.

B -  Opening the File menu, clicking a menu item, moving a UI control around to adjust a value, clicking OK.

I fail to see how one could find option B to be useful. More work and more time consuming.

Yeah. I agree that's stupid. Seriously What was I thinking that time.

Rl7un0O.png

Just for sake of history of reporting bugs I am quoting it here. 

14 hours ago, Pratyush said:

Hi @BoltBait @toe_head2001 , I am trying to write a plugin in codelab. When I run the code in Codelab, it works perfectly. but problem is When I try see see preview some error happens.

eOhfKtC.png

And I am also not able to build dll. 

23Vm3Qu.png

boltbait's reply.

34 minutes ago, BoltBait said:
6 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

in both cases it's failing to compile, because CodeLab is generating UI code for Amount2 and Amount3, but the fields backing that code are commented out.  We'll correct this for future versions of CodeLab.

I coded a fix for this.  It will be in the next release of CodeLab.

Basically, it will ignore any commented out lines.  If you use the UIBuilder, when you click OK, those lines will be deleted.

Edited by Pratyush

Rl7un0O.png