Will the Curve and Line Tool continue to improve?

BobBlack

This is my favorite tool in paint. net, but unfortunately there are too few controllable nodes. It would be perfect if you could customize the number of nodes. I believe that the following improvements are needed by everyone:

1. Increase the number of nodes freely;
2. Closing/connecting function of curve;

just Imagine:

p-curetool.png

I have already tried the ShapeMaker and the TR's SplineMaster , Both great plugin, 

But somehow, both "not so nature" ...

Edited by BobBlack

6 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

SplineMaster works, so you might as well use it.

Well, the most different thing I feel is I can't draw another line after draw first one , 

I can't get use to this!

But in line tools , you can draw another line immediately.

Edited by BobBlack

1 minute ago, BobBlack said:

Well, the most different thing I feel is I can't draw another line after draw first one ,  

Yes, you can. Just click on the 'Apply Spline' button.

2 minutes ago, BobBlack said:

I can't get use to this!

Not with that attitude.  :lol:  Moot point though, since you don't need to get used to it.  :D

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

8 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Yes, you can. Just click on the 'Apply Spline' button.

Not with that attitude.  :lol:  Moot point though, since you don't need to get used to it.  :D

Then , I will ask ,"Why I need another click ?"

If you draw a complex shape, you may know the feel , maybe not.

Another thing is the automatically add points (I know this can close, somehow you need to close),  that's a feel of Interruption in painting.

So I get back to line/curve tool, because it would not interrupt me.

Thanks for you reply.

Edited by BobBlack
spell errors

6 minutes ago, BobBlack said:

Then , I will ask ,"Why I need another click ?"

How else would the plugin know when you're finished with a line, and want to start another one?  It can't read your mind.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

4 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

How else would the plugin know when you're finished with a line, and want to start another one?  It can't read your mind.

Well , that's the point , I would say, as a line tool , it shouldn't be designed like this.

Adding points should be using shortcuts  key or manually.

So , that's why I feel better when using line/curve tool.

And I think you can't just look at this in the developer's mind, or it's maybe wrong ...

Edited by BobBlack
adding comment

On 1, and 2, you're probably better off with a vector graphic software if Paint.NET limits does bother you. Inkscape/Illustrator/Designer all allows you to edit lines to a far greater degree than what's offered in PDN plugins.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

5 hours ago, Reptillian said:

On 1, and 2, you're probably better off with a vector graphic software if Paint.NET limits does bother you. Inkscape/Illustrator/Designer all allows you to edit lines to a far greater degree than what's offered in PDN plugins.

I love paint.net ,

Why not want it better?

@toe_head2001 already offered you suggestions that gets around PDN limitation with curves. They didn't seem to work. It is unlikely curves tool will be upgraded soon(I get that impression). At that point, you'd have to look outside the box.

G'MIC Filter Developer

I don't like using third party plugins to get a better version of a feature that already exists. I would rather the feature improve natively. Plugins are extra work to install, may stop working in the future will always be less efficient.

I hope the curves tool ends up somewhere on Rick's todo list, even if near the bottom, I use it a lot.

@Rick Brewster Sorry about this, but the thread doesn't seem to be solved at this point as the approach of "try plugins firsr, and if not, then try other softwares that actually works with these features better as a workaround" didn't solve. Should the OP expect improvements?

G'MIC Filter Developer

10 minutes ago, welshblue said:

@BobBlack and @Damjan - perseverance, and honestly you get used to SplineMaster.  It really will do what you want

I was always a line tool 'user' but over the last couple of days  I have been using splinemaster more and it becomes intuitive

Using Bob's 'perfect line tool' example this took seconds.

bobline.jpg 

You've got to be prepared to try it guys. 

Personally I'd rather see Rick's time and resources go into growing PDN in other ways, rather than concentrate on something that functions adequately well

No, I will say you just look at the result ,didn't see the process:

OK, I show you the process

1.png

2.png

3.png

• Like 1

The one change I'd really like to see, that might not involve a huge amount of effort, is to have a mode that would use the last point of the previous curve as the first point of the next curve, so that continuous curves could be more easily drawn . Perhaps something like pressing Ctrl and then pressing the left (or right) mouse-button would close the previous curve, and draw a line from the last point to the cursor. Preferably, the curve would remain a line until the button was released, at which point the beginning and end of the curve would be established. From then on, the curve would be treated the same as usual, including moving the beginning point (though, of course, the curve would then no longer be connected).

I draw a lot of continuous curves, and aligning the connecting points is difficult.

• Like 3

Try 'Bez n curve' for 6 control points? (crude but still works in a very limited way). It was written as a 'stop-gap' but I realize Rick has plenty on the 'to do' list!😱

Midora's 'Path tools' didn't make a full release unfortunately. Shape-maker isn't really the ideal solution either.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

On the same ideas I tried to make a plugin, but I did not finish it.

There are certain things that go beyond my abilities. If anyone wants to continue completing the plug-in, it's welcome.

Edited by xod

6 hours ago, Red ochre said:

Shape-maker isn't really the ideal solution either.

What? Red - surely you jest 😄

ShapeMaker has the close path feature and as many nodes as you like.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9fuknuxs9e5od8/Recording %231.mp4?dl=0

• 6 months later...

So I sign in to quote this thread in relevance to the shapemaker thread and it asks me to do the CAPTCHA ordeal and squashes my post?☹️

Draw on canvas is currently broken (position mis-match) and needs a line width adjustment within the effect. I'm pleased TH has posted that he will address the issue.😉

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg