ColinK

Enter precise shape Width and height - not just drag

I add rectangle shapes for nearly every drawing I create.

After inserting and dragging the handles to approx size I want to be able to manually type the precise size - dragging handles is very hit and miss and can take many seconds to get precise PX sizes.

Ideally I want to click on the sizes in the bottom left of paint.net and manually edit - see attachment

These instructions give no instructions on how to precisely resize a shape.  https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/ShapeTools.html

I have searched the forum, can find nothing other than - drag handles.

I am not asking how to enter fixed sizes for the rectangle tool.

Thanks ColinK

paint-net-shape-size.PNG

There is no way to define the Shape size the way you want.

What I do is click and hold a corner control point, then use the keyboard arrows to fine tune the height and width. Try it & see if that works for you.

For the same purpose I use Selection> Fixed Size (Width, Height), then Effect> Selection> Outline Selection.

Sorry I did not read the post until the end...

Edited by xod

It seems like a useful feature, but I'm not sure how it'd be done without either making surprising UX or doing some work, and I know what time Rick can afford on this project he's spending on higher-priority items.

I'm not sure about setting the size by clicking on it, since the size is also displayed for other contexts and unless the click-to-resize behavior is made ubiquitous, it would segment the UX.

I like the way Blender would do it, which is to type X or Y for the axis, followed by a number and enter to confirm. It's super-useful, but since that's not an established pattern here, it would be no better and probably worse than setting the size with a button in the tooltip area.

On 9/4/2018 at 7:53 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

There is no way to define the Shape size the way you want.

What I do is click and hold a corner control point, then use the keyboard arrows to fine tune the height and width. Try it & see if that works for you.

Thanks for the suggestion, that partially works. Grabbing corners changes height and width. Grabbing top and side markers is a bit fiddly to exactly grab, but I can adjust with arrows as you suggest, but the accuracy seems to be 2 pixels - so not perfect but an improvement.

Thanks again

ColinK