Font displaying differently?

Avi_
Go to solution Solved by Ego Eram Reputo,

Hey all,

I got this new font recently called Jupiter Pro, but when attempting to use it in paint.net, the font displays a little differently, as if it were choosing the wrong glyphs.

The first image, JupiterPro1, is the font being used in the default Paint program.

The second image, JupiterPro2, is the font being used in paint.net, and you'll notice some differences, with the AUY looking especially funky.

I've tried tinkering with CharacterMap stuff but to no avail. Any thoughts/solutions?

JupiterPro1.png

JupiterPro2.png

Paint is probably using GDI, which is the old/legacy API for text rendering, whereas Paint.NET uses the much newer and modern DirectWrite. I'd wager that what Paint.NET is rendering is the correct way to do things.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

8 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

Paint is probably using GDI, which is the old/legacy API for text rendering, whereas Paint.NET uses the much newer and modern DirectWrite. I'd wager that what Paint.NET is rendering is the correct way to do things.

Maybe it is doing it correctly, as the Font Viewer displays it in the same way, but as far as I know, the font has different options for characters. Is there anyway to access this? I've even tried the WhichSymbol+ plugin, but it doesn't seem to have the options I'm looking for.

Untitled2.png

@Avi_ You should be able to access the ligature set in Microsoft Word. Type your text in a new document, take a screenshot of it and open it in PDN and delete the white background with the Magic Wand. Apply AA's Assistant. Hope this helps.  

Edited by lynxster4

Not sure if this helps, but I tinkered a bit more with it, and I've found that strangely, the WhichSymbol+ plugin displays the correct glyph when anti-aliasing is turned off (Though anti-aliasing doesn't fix it with the font tool itself). The problem with this of course is that the font looks horrible without anti-aliasing, and it'd be painstaking to individually generate characters with the plugin.

Still not able to fix it, but I thought I'd mention it in case it might be helpful in troubleshooting whether it be now or in the future.

Admittedly GIMP also has the same issue, but I really don't think this is the intentional design of the font, as the Windows Character Map displays it correctly in tune with the default paint program.

I'm not sure if the font is rendering incorrectly, or if it's simply pulling from the wrong glyphs. The anti-aliasing trick lends itself to the former theory, but the fact that the different A/U/Y glyphs exist in the font lends itself to the latter.

Edited by Avi_

5 minutes ago, lynxster4 said:

@Avi_ You should be able to access the ligature set in Microsoft Word. Type your text in a new document, take a screenshot of it and open it in PDN and delete the white background with the Magic Wand. Apply AA's Assistant. Hope this helps.  

I was hoping for a more refined solution, but it seems like this'll have to do for now 😔

Appreciate the attempts though everyone!

Edited by Avi_

22 minutes ago, Avi_ said:

I was hoping for a more refined solution

Dr Scott's Markup Renderer.

I tried the font with each variant of ligature CSS allowed me to fiddle....

font-variant-ligatures: normal;
font-variant-ligatures: none;
font-variant-ligatures: common-ligatures; /* <common-lig-values> */
font-variant-ligatures: no-common-ligatures; /* <common-lig-values> */
font-variant-ligatures: discretionary-ligatures; /* <discretionary-lig-values> */
font-variant-ligatures: no-discretionary-ligatures; /* <discretionary-lig-values> */
font-variant-ligatures: historical-ligatures; /* <historical-lig-values> */
font-variant-ligatures: no-historical-ligatures; /* <historical-lig-values> */
font-variant-ligatures: contextual; /* <contextual-alt-values> */
font-variant-ligatures: no-contextual; /* <contextual-alt-values> */

I couldn't see a difference :( . However - the plugin might help render the default font a little easier? Just set the font between the <style></style> tags and change the text in between the <p></p> tags.

Jupiter-Pro-Font.png

4 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Dr Scott's Markup Renderer.

I tried the font with each variant of ligature CSS allowed me to fiddle....

font-variant-ligatures: normal;
font-variant-ligatures: none;
font-variant-ligatures: common-ligatures; /* <common-lig-values> */
font-variant-ligatures: no-common-ligatures; /* <common-lig-values> */
font-variant-ligatures: discretionary-ligatures; /* <discretionary-lig-values> */
font-variant-ligatures: no-discretionary-ligatures; /* <discretionary-lig-values> */
font-variant-ligatures: historical-ligatures; /* <historical-lig-values> */
font-variant-ligatures: no-historical-ligatures; /* <historical-lig-values> */
font-variant-ligatures: contextual; /* <contextual-alt-values> */
font-variant-ligatures: no-contextual; /* <contextual-alt-values> */

I couldn't see a difference :( . However - the plugin might help render the default font a little easier? Just set the font between the <style></style> tags and change the text in between the <p></p> tags.

Jupiter-Pro-Font.png

I have 0 knowledge on HTML coding but this seems seriously impressive as it's the closest way to solving the issue, if a little scuffed (I don't think one should have to resort to advanced HTML Rendering Plugins for a font, but admittedly GIMP has this problem too, so I'm willing to say it's a problem beyond PDN itself!)

At this point I don't even think I need a solution that much, but it's out of spite and closure at this point 🤣

Though I must ask, is there a way to render it with different colors, and with a transparent background? As it stands, it feels no different than typing what I want in Paint or Word and screenshotting it, since I still have to use the magic wand at the end of the day. Really appreciate the help, and I'll try to mark your answer as solved after this!

Edited by Avi_

• Solution

Agreed, this plugin is pretty hacky :mrgreen: I wrote it for tasks other than rendering text (actually tables and XML).

48 minutes ago, Avi_ said:

is there a way to render it with different colors,

Yes. Try pasting this into the code window......

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset='utf-8'>
<title>Title</title>
<style>
p { 
font-family: Jupiter Pro; 
font-size 2.5em; 
color:red
}
</style>
</head>
<body>

<p>Zombie ipsum reversus ab viral inferno, nam rick grimes malum cerebro. </p>
<p>De carne lumbering animata corpora quaeritis. </p>
<p>De apocalypsi gorger omero undead survivor dictum mauris.</p>

</body>
</html>

^^ change the size under font-size. Change the color to any of these: https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css_colors.php

48 minutes ago, Avi_ said:

and with a transparent background?

Sorry no - the browser will have an opaque background. Shift-click with the magic Wand is your friend here!