paint.net 5.0.3 beta build 8482

Rick Brewster

This update contains a handful of targeted fixes, and the ability to draw (and resize) shapes from the center.

In this update I've also rewritten the Direct2D initialization code to modernize it (switching away from ID2D1HwndRenderTarget, in other words). For now you should see no difference, in terms of rendering or performance, compared to previous versions. Future updates should see reduced memory usage and improved canvas interaction capabilities as I investigate and integrate the use of newer Windows libraries like DirectComposition and DirectManipulation.

If you have multiple monitors and/or multiple GPUsespecially if you have multiple monitors plugged into different GPUs, then I'd very much appreciate you testing this build! Launch the app, move it to other monitors, maximize it, restore/minimize, do all sorts of things. Everything should just work like it always has. Please let me know immediately if the app crashes, stops rendering, or hangs. 

―――――

This build is available via the built-in updater as long as you have opted-in to pre-release updates. From within Settings -> Updates, enable "Also check for pre-release (beta) versions of paint.net" and then click on the Check Now button. You can also use the links below to download an offline installer or portable ZIP.

image.png

Download the installer here (for any supported CPU and OS). Offline installers, portable ZIPs, and deployable MSIs are available over on GitHub.

Changes since 5.0.2:

• New: You can now draw from the center when using the Shapes or Line/Curve tools by holding down Ctrl. You can also resize uniformly by holding Ctrl.
  • New: You can now resize uniformly ("centered") by holding down Ctrl when using the Move Selection or Move Selected Pixels tools
  • Fixed: Edit -> Copy and Copy Merged are no longer greyed out (disabled) when a selection is not active; they will copy the entire layer or image. You could always use the keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+C or Ctrl+Shift+C) to invoke these commands, but the menu items were not clickable.
  • Fixed: Right-clicking on the color wheel in the Colors window will now set the secondary color
  • Fixed some issues with the Text tool recentering the view when it shouldn't when keys like Ctrl are pressed
  • Fixed some JPEG images failing to load because of malformed IPTC metadata
  • Fixed a rare crash in the Magic Wand and Paint Bucket tools
  • Fixed an uncommon rendering glitch with the Text tool when antialiasing is disabled
  • Fixed an issue with some older plugins that were using the legacy Gaussian Blur effect with radius=0
  • Added an /ignoreCorruptPDNChunks command-line parameter to assist with certain data recovery scenarios for .PDN files
  • Updated the Direct2D initialization code in order to modernize it and enable future work that will optimize performance, memory use, and interactivity (e.g. with DirectComposition and DirectManipulation)
  • Updated the bundled DDSFileTypePlus plugin to version 1.11.4.0, which adds error diffusion dithering support for the BC1-3 formats (thanks @null54!)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Choosing the secondary color with the right mouse is really great! especially when using the gradient too. I wasn't aware of it until now.
I also tested it on the sliders. they only work on the primary color with the left mouse, which doesn't seem to be very consistent, like if I want to darken the secondary color I just chose by right-clicking.
I think it would be cool if the sliders work with the right mouse too, or maybe on the last chosen color while the mouse is still on the color window. This latter option is also useful to change the last-chosen color by rolling the mouse wheel over the values.

Drawing/scaling from center is awesome! As a matter of fact, I even kinda assumed we already had it. I even tried it a few times, but nothing happened, so I would think I just didn't know the keybind

49 minutes ago, BDP said:

ust tried a selection from each of the Filter list, and they all worked for me (G'MIC 3.2.2 and PDN 5.0.3)

But were you using 5.0.3 8482 4301?

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

11 hours ago, Flowgun said:

Also, using Ctrl to draw from center is not consistent with Selection tools where Ctrl adds to the selection. What if I want to draw a selection from center?

Ctrl was chosen because it matches what Office uses for this behavior. You can't draw a selection from the center though, because as you point out the Ctrl key is already in use there for adding to a selection.

So to answer your question, "What if I want to draw a selection from center?" .... you don't.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

1 hour ago, Pixey said:

I just tried to use G'Mic in this build and the filters are not showing:

When I loaded it up, same result. Then I clicked the reload/update button at the bottom next to the Internet checkbox ... and voila, they all showed up.

• Hooray 1

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

14 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

Then I clicked the reload/update button at the bottom next to the Internet checkbox ... and voila, they all showed up.

That worked - thanks t4565.gif 

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

5 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

Ctrl was chosen because it matches what Office uses for this behavior. You can't draw a selection from the center though, because as you point out the Ctrl key is already in use there for adding to a selection.

So to answer your question, "What if I want to draw a selection from center?" .... you don't.

I know that the feature is not (yet?) implemented. I mean no offense, but I find it a bit short-sighted. 
It is more important to have a philosophy and coherency within one single software than to follow some other clunky software that is made for another purpose, and create conflicting behaviors all over the place.

Office is not "clunky" -- it's world-class software and is very good at what it does.

While I also don't like this discrepancy between shapes and selection, this isn't "short sighted," nor does it not have a "philosophy and coherency." It is a pragmatic decision and solution for something that does not have a perfect solution available.

If you have suggestions for the implementation, then let's have them, but don't get mired in pointless judgments of things that you do not have insight into. This just wastes time and stirs things that don't need to be stirred.

• Like 1

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

5 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

What about using Ctrl + Shift + Drag, or would that conflict with some existing behavior.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

23 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

Fixed: Edit -> Copy and Copy Merged

Fixed: Right-clicking on the color wheel in the Colors window will now set the secondary color

New: You can now draw from the center when using the Shapes

Thank you - Very useful improvements!:star:

...and thanks for keeping older plug-ins still working too.

• Like 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

28 minutes ago, Shambles_SM said:

pixel-perfect in case of drawing a straight line with an even number of pixels? Right now, a 2px line (with Shift) looks like this

If you want to disable the anti-aliasing, there a button for that in the toolbar.

toolbarantialiasing.png

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab