Extreme slow start vs addins

Go to solution Solved by ardneh,

Hello,

it is well-known that paint.net is loading/starting extremely slowly.

Reason are the hundreds (!) of plugins, insufficiently described, and therefore partly overlapping with often several others. Example: I find two plugins for '"flip" - even one for horizontal and one for vertical - completely unnecessary because already contained in the program under "picture". Deleting a "Flip.dll" did not change anything (!).

Because of their cryptic names it is nearly impossible to identify the dll in order to delete them.

It is a pity.

We URGENTLY need a better list with

1- A clear and understandable description of the purpose

2- AND the name appearing in the program

3- AND the name of the dll (or other ending).

Momentarily it simply cruelly.

Hans J. Holm

Relatively experienced user.

• Solution

If you hover over a menu entry it will give you the name of the .dll.

image.png.879ed636181ab70d6842e1a9e1af61a6.png

The built-in Flip will flip the entire image.

The Flip plugin flips a layer or the contents of a selection.

Edited by ardneh
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, archlingo said:

Hello,

it is well-known that paint.net is loading/starting extremely slowly.

Reason are the hundreds (!) of

, insufficiently described, and therefore partly overlapping with often several others. Example: I find two plugins for '"flip" - even one for horizontal and one for vertical - completely unnecessary because already contained in the program under "picture". Deleting a "Flip.dll" did not change anything (!).

You as a "Relatively experienced user" have not understood anything (!)
1. read here again .
2. you have installed the hundreds of plugins.
3. see the answer above my .

We URGENTLY need a better list with

1- A clear and understandable description of the purpose

2- AND the name appearing in the program

3- AND the name of the dll (or other ending).

Momentarily it simply cruelly.

0. Not we but you .

I find it an impertinence to make demands :
1. for a program what is free -
2. to the plugins writers (who do all this in their spare time and also for free) - 

Maybe you start all over again from the beginning. -> here

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry @Ego Eram ReputoI could not do otherwise . 😉

Well, I must be extremely lucky, or just done everything right when updating the program or in adding plugins. I have loads of added plugins (okay, I don't use all of them), but my Paint.Net only takes a max two seconds to load. I can live with that!

Brian

• Like 1

If Paint.NET is starting very slowly when you have hundreds of plugins installed, the likely culprit is your antivirus. For instance, I've seen Windows Defender cause abysmally slow startup times on my Ryzen 5950X. The app appears fairly quickly but is very sluggish and becomes unresponsive when accessing the Effects, Adjustments, or even the File -> Open Recent menus, for as long as a few minutes. Not always, but especially right after installing a new update, after restarting the PC, or after installing all of the plugins themselves (that is, going from 0 installed to all of them installed).

With antivirus disabled, Paint.NET loads in just a second or two or three, even with over 1000 plugins installed.

I'm not comfortable recommending that you disable your antivirus, or that you add the plugins folder as an excluded folder, but that does resolve the performance issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

11 hours ago, archlingo said:

I find two plugins for '"flip" - even one for horizontal and one for vertical - completely unnecessary because already contained in the program under "picture". Deleting a "Flip.dll" did not change anything (!).

Please know that some Plugs, like Flip Horizontal and verticle, are already "built in" to paint.net and cannot be removed.

built-in.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

4 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

add the plugins folder as an excluded folder, but that does resolve the performance issue.

Many thanks @Rick Brewster

Excluding the paint.net folder from Defender makes a huge difference! (I scan everything I download before installing).

I had previously excluded the Pdn folder but due to re-naming, when I had two versions installed, the current version was not excluded.
 I now have the standard folder name added to exclusions and it gets to a useable state so much quicker! - none of those annoying 'hangs' when just selecting Effects.

• Like 2

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Yes, it does make a huge difference, thank you @Rick Brewster.

I've added both the Effects and File Types folders to Defender exceptions. They are the only exceptions I have and, like @Red ochre, I do scan everything I download, immediately after the download completes.

However, I understand Rick's hesitation in recommending this and, I believe, the moderators have to be very careful how they handle similar questions.

Xkds4Lh.png

Thanks for the helpful comments, in particular the two solutions:

1. The hovering is ok, but sometimes needs a second attempt.

2. Excluding the "Effects" - under the due cautions - from MS Defender is the perfect idea.

(De blaseerte Buten-Hamborger shall sien Mul holn).

archlingo

On 6/8/2022 at 10:41 AM, AndrewDavid said:

I remember talking about that fix a few years ago

Now that you mentioned it, I remember reading it. So, kudos to @AndrewDavid

But it did not concern me at the time. My start-up times became annoyingly slow when I followed other good advice on this forum, did away with AVG and now rely on Defender. Perhaps AVG is smarter than Defender when it comes to plugins, perhaps I had added an exception to AVG I do not remember.

Xkds4Lh.png