Help correcting a scanned shape.

Hi guys,

I've been searching around for this one and I can't seem to find the right answer, mainly because I'm a newbie. I'm hoping someone can help!

I'm wanting to design a 3D printed shape from a traced piece of paper. I've traced the shape and scanned it into my PC but because it's hand drawn the inner/outer edges are jagged and rough. Is there a plugin that can smoothen the lines and assume the shape for me? I need the lines to be smooth so the 3D print comes out the same.

I've attached the example in both drawn and 3D so you can see the result.

Thank you!

Dock.png

Dock3D.jpg

Welcome to the forum @Und3adShr3d.  Why don't you use your scanned shape and open it up in the ShapeMaker plugin? 

Then you can draw your shape in any line thickness?  Here are some links:  The ShapeMaker Plugin and a short tutorial on how to use it.

Your shape is very simple; it should be easy to trace.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Isolate the object on it's own layer, then

• Use one of the Outline plugins to thicken the edge to approx double or triple thickness.
  • Repeately use Effects > Noise > Median to slim it back down. The edge will smooth out along the way (you can also use AA's Assistant to thin down the edges).
  • Repeat the above two steps if you need more smoothing.

Smoothed-egg.png

Option 2:

I've an egg shape in my Shapes pack - https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/32128-eers-miscellaneous-shapes/

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 7:10 AM, lynxster4 said:

Welcome to the forum @Und3adShr3d.  Why don't you use your scanned shape and open it up in the ShapeMaker plugin? 

Then you can draw your shape in any line thickness?  Here are some links:  The ShapeMaker Plugin and a short tutorial on how to use it.

Your shape is very simple; it should be easy to trace.

In addition to being able to trace and vary the stroke (line width), the results can be Added to the Path List exported to svg for importing into some 3D rendering or printing programs.
ShapeMakerElipse.jpg.b29137c5707bd361a7a11e3b64a95d17.jpg

Edited by HyReZ
  • Upvote 1