Need help with a plugin that can do this specific effect..

This is an old friend of mine who passed away June 26, 1997.
One of the nicest and most humble men you could ever know or meet.
Many people know him as "IZ" but his name on stage is: Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.
I have been working for him and his cofounding band "The Makaha Sons" once known as

"The Makaha Sons of Ni'ihau" for years. I have created and Admin their YouTube channel, video edit and a bunch more.

I am also the Admin for his Facebook group known as "Israel Ka'ano'i Kamakawiwo'ole ~ The Man The Appreciation"

You may have heard his cover song of "Somewhere over the rainbow" his version has been used in commercials, films and television programs, including, 50 First Dates, Charmed, Cold Case, ER, Finding Forrester, Horizon, Life on Mars, 9, Meet Joe Black, Scrubs, Snakes on a Plane, Son of the Mask, and the television series South Pacific.

So I am trying to emulate this effect but in several other designs I am working on for his daughter, our new FB page and several video edits I am in the middle of.

Mahalo nui loa Pixey, I am going to give it a test drive now.
I will provide feedback when I am able.

Aloha!

T

Edited by Tikcuf

23 hours ago, Pixey said:

I think Crack Brushes would be the best way to go https://www.brusheezy.com/free/cracks

So, after downloading numerous brushes from that nice website, I could get none of them to work in PS.
I tried every option including circumnavigating and copying them to install folders, not sure why..
It would be a blessing if Paint had such brushes.
Mahalo for your help.

T

Edited by Tikcuf

1 hour ago, Tikcuf said:

It would be a blessing if Paint had such brushes.

We can use brushes in paint.net, but it requires a bit of extra work.

Here are some links to help:

First the Plugin: 

There are two Brush Apps for them:

and:

And a tutorial: for Custom Mini: 

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Null54 merged the code to load photoshop brushes directly into dynamic draw, so no need to convert them. Handling is limited because of the 

1 hour ago, Pixey said:

First the Plugin:

No need for a plugin to load photoshop brushes directly into dynamic draw. Null54 added the code that handles loading them. It's limited since the photoshop brush file format isn't posted & all support that exists today is just cobbled together by guesses from smarter people than me.

I think that picture is hand-done, the way it follows contours and preserves focus areas with large spacing. No other way but to recreate it manually. I'll make another post if I can figure out a way to recreate it with some voronoi textures and a bit of hand-work. Still a lot of work in any program, I'm guessing

On 2/13/2022 at 12:10 PM, Pixey said:

Here are some links to help:

First the Plugin: 

There are two Brush Apps for them:

and:

And a tutorial: for Custom Mini: 

So I have used your advice and it works, however i notice these packages will have 20 even 30 brushes.
In my mind, I am thinking I can use one or the other independently like the brush in paint.
The resulkt when opening these pkgs is they all open at the same time and each create a layer.
Thus creating a final look that doesn't allow manipulation other than the layers stacked or removed from the

final render.
Is there any set of brushes that work as a brush and creates the effect when sweeping over the design?
As well as controlling the intensity?

Mahalo Pixey..

T

On 2/13/2022 at 12:58 PM, Tikcuf said:

So, after downloading numerous brushes from that nice website, I could get none of them to work in PS.

Any plugin in paint.net has limitations for what it does with brushes, and there's only 2 that use brushes. They open on an external canvas, don't support layers or much of the other things photoshop is good for, and I'd honestly recommend just going back to get it to work in Photoshop. If you have trouble with the .ABR brush files given, it's either a simple installation issue or the ABR files are bad. Photoshop has gone through a lot of versions and they might be too old. But Photoshop has such a huge economy around it you should be able to find plenty of free crack and crackle brushes online.

Here's some photoshop help for installing brushes https://www.howtogeek.com/663111/how-to-install-brushes-in-photoshop/, hope that works.

@Tikcuf I just remembered there is a Redfield Plugin that is called Craquelure 3D which has a similar effect that you are looking for.  You will need the 8bf Plugin and Redfield's Plugins.

url%5D      Click for larger.

I am having trouble finding the 8bf on the Redfield site, so I will attach a copy for you in Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/11yq2p384eljylz/AACc30XJrWGBdGeyGm2WZPFNa?dl=0

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

@Pixey

I downloaded the Craquelure 3D Redfield Plugin and after opening the compressed archive I see a .reg file and a .txt.

Is there some type of conversion that is needed to make it an .8bf, .pat or .abr?

As it stands now, clicking on the .reg file asks to edit the Windows Registry

Edited by HyReZ

27 minutes ago, HyReZ said:

Is there some type of conversion that is needed to make it an .8bf, .pat or .abr?

That download is a set of optional presets for the Craquelure 3D plugin, the actual plugin is located on the Redfield downloads page: https://www.redfieldplugins.com/Downloads.htm

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

@null54 and @HyReZ I had trouble finding the free v. 1.7 8bf on Redfield's site, so I've attached a copy of mine to my previous post.

30b8T8B.gif

10 hours ago, MJW said:

None of the examples shown is anything like the desired result of cracked paint.

I think the one I refer to, in my example of the happy face, looks pretty close. But I don't see the same one on the Redfield site anymore, so that's why I attached the one I used.  I think it's as close as one can get, without having to paint it from scratch.

30b8T8B.gif