How to Install Plugins ×

'PNG Animations and Images' FileType Plugin (.PNG, .APNG) [Latest v1.4 2022-01-07]

midora

'PNG Animations and Images' FileType Plugin (.PNG, .APNG)

Download

Find the latest version of the plugin here: ImAPNG.FileType v1.4.zip [2022-01-07]

Thumbnail support for .apng file type: ImAPNG.Thumbnail v1.0.zip [2022-01-07]

ImXYZ.Thumbnail.dll Installer for ImAPNG.Thumbnail: See 'GIF Animations and Images' FileType Plugin

Summary

Loads and saves[not supported] PNG animations and images.  

Animated images contain a sequence of images called frames which a viewer application can show as an animation.

Because paint.net decides on the file extension which file loader will be used you have to change the extension of the PNG file to .apng.

On load the plugin loads all frames from the file and adds them as layers to a new Paint.NET document. Frame 1 will become the bottom layer and so on. Some information from the file (like frame durations or comments) will be stored in the layer names after the marker '//'.

[not supported]
On save the plugin will convert all layers to frames respecting the information found after the marker '//' in the layer names. The plugin does its best to reduce the size of the final file. The size depends on various settings.

See also

'GIF Animations and Images' FileType Plugin

'WEBP Animations and Images' FileType Plugin

Author / Copyright

Martin Osieka
2015-2022, Martin Osieka, Switzerland
You may use this plugin together with Paint.NET w/o any restriction.

Installation

Follow the instructions carefully

• Unzip the archive
  • Copy the folder ImAPNG.FileType together with its content (ImAPNG.FileType.dll/.dlc/.deps.json) into the FileTypes folder of paint.net. The location of the FileTypes folder depends on the installed variant of paint.net.

To verify the installation you should restart Paint.NET and check that in the filetype popup of the open file selector dialog is an entry starting with APNG.

Compatibility

paint.net >= 4.3.2, 64bit and 32bit

Supported languages

English, Deutsch
You may add your own translation to the .dlc file.

Keywords

FileType, PNG, APNG, Animated PNG, Animation

History

1.4 [2022-01-07]

• Updated to libpng 1.6.37
  • Requires paint.net >= 4.3.2

0.3 [2015-04-06] (12218 downöoads)

• First public test release
  • Only loading is supported.
  • The plugin uses an unmanaged dll based on libpng with apng patch plus modifications. There is a variant for 32-bit and 64-bit environments.

Edited by midora
  • Upvote 2

midoras signature.gif

• 2 months later...

Not working. There is no ".apng" format availalbe. I have tried putting the files into the Effects folder directly as well as into Effects/ImAGIF.Examples v1.0
Paint.Net version 4.3.10 (no updates are available, even after enabled pre-release and re-checking).

• 5 months later...

I tried to use the latest version of this filetype plugin in paint.net v4.3.12.

I copied the folder ImAPNG.FileType together with its content into the FileTypes folder of paint.net and started paint.net.

'APNG - PNG Animations and Images (*.png; *.apng)' is availble as an entry in the open file selector dialog:
Open.thumb.png.c1223465ffd6881a8d778b7b06f177c9.png

but no in the save as file selector dialog:

SaveAs.png.31e1c7d646d4a45c5ae5e0b7544fb04f.png

Am I overlooking something?

47 minutes ago, TheDutchJewel said:

Am I overlooking something?

From the first post in the thread it appears that saving is not supported.

On 1/7/2022 at 3:25 PM, midora said:

saves[not supported]

• Thanks 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

This is how I see the use of .apng:

When you want to save a GIF from the web, you copy the GIF address using "SAVE AS" and select "All Files" in the Save As type.

Then you append to it .apng and save it.

Open Paint.net and navigate to where you saved it (most times it's a blank image) and open it in Paint.net.

All the layers of the Gif will then appear.

But, you won't save it as a .png - unless you want to save all the layers.

To finish the Animated Gif you will choose Save As AGIF.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I know it is possible to make an animated image with GIF and WEBP, but I wanted to make an animated image in the same quality from a number of screenshots in .png format.

I thought I had found a paint.net plugin that made that possible but it turns out that it can't be done. Therefore I did it withAPNG Assembler.

4 hours ago, TheDutchJewel said:

I thought I had found a paint.net plugin that made that possible

But you can make a GIF with .png.  Here is a video of How To:

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.