Sig-Of-The-Week #17 - Typography *Crimson vanquishes all!*

The theme this week, as chosen by last week's winner -Expiration-, is Typography.

The Winners:

------------------------------------------------------------------

The results:

1st: Crimson (6 votes)

2nd: -Expiration- (4 votes)

3rd: Helio (3 votes)

Whoop-la!

Happy Independence Day, my fellow Americans! Regardless of your country of residence, however, I hereby declare your freedom to vote for your favorite Typography signature!

Browse through the entries below and choose your favorite. When you've got one in mine, send me, Crazy Man Dan, a Private Message with the name of the artist for whom you'd like to vote.

With the holiday weekend here in the US of America, I'm sure some potential voters have plans for the weekend. As such, I'm going to give you guys through next week Wednesday to vote. The deadline for voting is 23:59 (11:59pm) (PST) on Wednesday, July 9th.

To see the current time in PST to compare it with your local time, click here (WorldTimeServer.com).

Awesome Voting Guidelines!

• [*:hpi7kqhn] To vote, compose a Private Message to Crazy Man Dan with the name of the person you think should win.

• [*:hpi7kqhn] Voting is open to everyone, entrants and non-entrants alike.

• [*:hpi7kqhn] If you did enter the competition, please do not vote for yourself.

• [*:hpi7kqhn] Once you have submitted your vote, it is final and cannot be changed by any power known to man.

This week's entries: (in alphabetical order)

Crimson

typographysig.png

del_diablo

textwallgn1.gif

-Expiration-

TypoSig.png

Fire_Ants

sotw.png

Helio

sotw17.png

janettsue

eeyoresig.png

KonArtist

SOTW17.png

Myrddin

TypographysmallPNG.png

pipp92

sotw-typography.png

R3VENGE

colourmeanseveryhting.png

Those are all the entries!

Have your favorite? PM the name to CMD

Text can be art too. The concept of expressive typography is to say as much as possible with your text, drawing attention or focus through clever positioning, orientation, and organization. Check out this article on dot-font to learn more and see some examples. Your goal this week is to use typography in a bold, poignant, or meaningful way.

You can use whatever font or fonts you wish, and your submission does not have to be text-only. It should, though, feature typography in a prominent way. You're also free to draw your own characters, if you feel particularly ambitious. Be sure to post what font(s) you used along with your submission.

The deadline for this competition is 23:59 (11:59pm) (PST) on Thursday, July 3rd.

To see the current time in PST to compare it with your local time, click here (WorldTimeServer.com).

Check the SOTW Rules!

If your entry breaks any of the rules it will be disqualified.

• [*:hpi7kqhn] Max sig dimensions follow the board's max sig dimensions, 500x150.

• [*:hpi7kqhn] No crude / offensive language, pics, et cetera.

• [*:hpi7kqhn] Sig must follow the set theme.

• [*:hpi7kqhn] Only one entry per person and no modifications to your image are allowed after submitting your entry.

• [*:hpi7kqhn] You must post the URLs to any and all stock images used in your sig.

• [*:hpi7kqhn] You are allowed one post in this topic. That post should include your sig, links to your source images, and, if you feel so inclined, a set of keys to a BMW for me. Placeholders (empty-posting now, editing in a link to your sig later) are not permitted.

For this competition, you must also post the names of the fonts used in your submission.

This thread is for posting your entries only!

If you wish to talk about one of the entries you can do so here.

If a comment or other non-entry post is mistakenly made in this thread, it will be moved without penalty to the discussion thread. Just don't be surprised when it magically jumps over there. :wink:

Good luck all, and thanks for playing! :D

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

SOTW17.png

These are the fonts I used Caesar,Today, and Designer Block.

Render

And used a famous Michael Jordan quote: I've always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come.

I made it the first day the contest came out, but I forgot to post it. It took only about a hour to make.

swsig2.png

Gamertag 360: xX 8 Balll (Three L's)

Free Web Hosting

Some interesting signatures so far ...

Anyways, here is mine. Note: The feelings shown in this signature do not reflect my own personal interests. At all.

I wanted to pick a topic that would instantly capture the viewer's attention, one that would evoke deep thoughts from within, give something for them to think about. So, without further ado:

TypoSig.png

Fonts used:

Georgia

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Don't go counting your chickens before the pack of rabid ravaging foxes attacks. -Sozo

sotw17.png

Delight in this wholesome, savory blend of letters hand selected from the English alphabet.

sotw17-demo.png

100% all-natural capitol letters, rendered in the font "Skinny". May contain periods (.), commas (,), and hyphens (-). Each character is typed, positioned, and colored by hand using environmentally-friendly processes. No copying or pasting was used in the making of this signature.

Ingredients: A, B, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Z, (.), (,), (-)

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Vote vote vote!

Check the first message for voting guidelines, voting deadline, and a consolidated list of all the entries. :)

~ Becoming the Archetype

Well, there have been a meager 12 votes thusfar, including my own. Results will be posted late tonight (like, probably a few hours after midnight CDT - it's CoD4 Frag-a-thon night ;) ), and I'm going to leave voting open until then. Basically, if the results aren't posted yet, you can still send in a vote.

What's more, if you don't want to take the time to compose a Private Message to me, and you're comfortable with your opinion being public, you can post the name of the person for whom you'd like to vote right here as a reply in this thread. I will delete the voting messages as they are tallied.

So, if you haven't voted yet and you'd like to do so, please: do so! ;)

~ Becoming the Archetype

My thoughts and vote (from bottom to top post order):

janettsue, I love Eeyore. But, for some reason, I don't think this sig fits the competition.

Helio must have put in a serious amount of time on this, but I just don't like it. And, I'm a HUGE fan of ASCII art, so I can't explain what I don't like.

While I would vote for Myrddin, his sig *is* bound by straight lines. If only they weren't there... or, the subject broke out of the frame. I don't know.

While I thought -Expiration- did a decent job of positioning the words (although it could have been done better), I just didn't like the subject. Sorry.

KonArtist did a solid job. I like this one.

Fire_Ants did a really nice job. Definitely my second choice.

In my opinion, Crimson did the best job, by far.

My vote is for Crimson.

Well, I said I'd delete the vote posts, but there was only one, and it was both informative and a fair sight longer than the one word response I was expecting, so I'm gonna leave it. ;)

Results are posted, and Crimson is the mighty hero victor!

As an aside: Crimson, your entry was great, but Expired had my vote. BB, I don't believe the positioning could have been much better. It gives the impression of a noose perfectly well, while also highlighting important or poignant words and phrases with both size and color. Yes, the subject matter is dark, but it's powerful, and in the end that's the more gripping part.

And Helio... I'm sorry. v_v

;)

~ Becoming the Archetype

A well deserved victory, Crimson! Have I told you that you did an outstanding job yet? Well, you did.

expired, I loved almost everything there was to your entry. I have to say, I wish that "I" had to die, rather than "i" (I know, seems rather silly). The words used and their positioning give it a good feeling of tragedy, and drama. Nicely done. :)

And I made third place! Sweet!

I enjoyed this SOTW quite a bit. Thanks for an awesome topic, expired. And of course, CMDan deserves some gratitude as well. ;)

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

At the sight of his (sort-of) rival's victory, expired reluctantly muttered, "Congratulations ..."

:D Just kidding. Grats Crimson, I'll beat you next time! :twisted:

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Don't go counting your chickens before the pack of rabid ravaging foxes attacks. -Sozo