How to Install Plugins ×

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread

RaveN

Which plugin?

At what point are you having trouble?

What version of PDN are you using 3.36 or the beta 3.5?

im using the 3.5 beta

That may be your problem. Check out this comment at the end of the Gradient Mapping thread: viewtopic.php?p=292174#p292174

ok im new to paint.net i just learned how to install fonts but im having trouble with this i folow this thread and i drag the dll files into the effects folder and then i open paint.net and nothings there what do i do? and iuse 3.0 but please i need help :(

something's wrong with my computer or paint.net plug-in installation :(

before, i did exactly this, and it worked fine. but now, i have a new machine, and i had to reinstall the paint.net program. i tried to re-install each and every one of the plug-ins to program files (i triple-checked, nothing wrong there! :o), and still, it doesn't show up in my paint.net effects menu!

can someone help me? or will i be doomed to paint.net's overwhelming simplicity forever? lol

~Sarah @ hope.wishless.org

Need more info.

Which plugins don't work?

What Paint.NET version are you using?

What OS - Vista, XP etc.?

Did you put the plugin files in the Effects folder?

the plug-ins? hmm... i'm just going to start with one: the water reflection plug-in. i forget where i found it.

i'm using the beta version 3.36. but before you talk about how beta ones are different, i downloaded this new version 'cuz i thought it would work. the plugins didn't work in version 3.5 either.

OS - windows XP.

and yes, i extracted them to C:\Program Files\Paint.Net\Effects. that's the right folder, isn't it?

:(

oh god. now i'm stuck ;__;

i tried to install the stable version, but it said it couldn't install because "a newer version of this program is already installed". then, i tried to remove the program "add or remove programs", but a windows component failed to do it or something. somehow, all my paint.net program files got erased. now i'm completely stuck. i have no idea what to do o.o

• 2 weeks later...

Plugin help, or Paint.NET help? If you need assistance with the latter, press F1 in Paint.NET and you'll be taken to the help files.

Plugins: You can find a list of plugins here: Plugin Index

To use a plugin you need to download it and unzip it (if it is zipped). Take the unzipped *.dll files and move them to the correct folder (usually ..Paint.NET\Effects). Restart Paint.NET and the effect should appear in the menus.

It's a good idea to read this thread thoroughly, and also to read the thread pertaining to the plugin you want to install.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone wants to use this, here's something little for plugin makers. I use this for finnish language pack install.

Hidden Content:
; Paint.nsi
; NSIS Paint.NET Effect/Language Pack Installer template
;---------------------------------------
SetCompressor /SOLID lzma

; http://nsis.sourceforge.net/NsProcess_plugin
; Not mandatory but useful
!include "nsProcess.nsh"

Name "Installer name"
OutFile "Filename.exe"
XPStyle on
ShowInstDetails nevershow
CRCCheck on
Icon "Icon.ico"
; Choose your own from %ProgramFiles(x86)%\NSIS\Contrib\Language files
LoadLanguageFile "${NSISDIR}\Contrib\Language files\English.nlf" 
AutoCloseWindow true ; Closes at the end of install
SetOverwrite ifnewer
RequestExecutionLevel admin ; Required so that you won't get 'Did this program install correctly' prompt after install.

; Pages

Caption "Installer name"
PageEx directory
DirText "This install will copy files in the Paint.NET folder." ; Choose your own words
Caption " "
PageExEnd
PageEx instfiles ; Most often people wont see this since it can take less than a second.
Caption " "
PageExEnd

Section "" ; All files here, set directory first and then each file separately.
SetOutPath $INSTDIR
File Filename.resx
SetOutPath $INSTDIR\Effects
File Filename.dll
SectionEnd

Function .onInit ; Loaded first when installer is started.
; Can be removed if nsProcess plugin is not used.
${nsProcess::FindProcess} "PaintDotNet.exe" $R1
${nsProcess::Unload}
StrCmp $R1 "0" 0 +3
	MessageBox MB_ICONSTOP|MB_OK "Paint.NET is running. Close it and try again."
	Abort
; Remove until here.
SetRegView 64 ; Required for 64 bit OS support.
ReadRegStr $R0 HKLM "Software\Paint.NET" "TARGETDIR"
IfErrors 0 +3 ; If Abort is omitted, change the last number to +2
	MessageBox MB_ICONSTOP|MB_OK "Paint.NET install not found. This file requires Paint.NET."
	Abort ; This line can be omitted so that the user can input a directory even though the registry key was not found.
StrCpy $INSTDIR $R0
FunctionEnd

sig.jpg.7f312affa740bae49243c4439bc4a244.jpg

I doubt you're running a plugin of that name as it is a support file for some of Pyrochild's plugins. Most likely the plugin you're trying to run cannot find that file.

Make sure you have that file installed (as per the first post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21706&start=0). Also read this post: viewtopic.php?p=302700#p302700