Image Hospital: Help With Image Problems Here!

david.atwell

blue2.th.png

Click it for full size. (Duh.)

Work on planet texture. Are you using normal ground textures to make the texture, or a mix of planet texture maps? If you're using the first, i advise you use the latter. ;) Also this tut helps a lot of making planets: http://alyn.deviantart.com/art/Advanced ... n-11885274

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Hi guys, I've been toying around with an image and just can't be satisfied with it.

The image:

spraytest3.png

It's alright for now, but I was inspired by and shooting for something... less blurry, more red, and glossy/laser-ish. It almost looked like the entire phoenix was a single thick, glossy, laser-like segment. It looked like the phoenix was drawn out of a high intensity laser. I really liked the look of that... any suggestions for doing something similar?

• 3 weeks later...

Twist, the light on both your render and background is coming from the top of the sig, not the bottom or sides.

I would get some kind of darkness on the bottom of the sig, underneath his face - using clouds or some kind of blur, and then setting it to Multiply or Darken.

"pyrochild, you're my favorite person ever. We should go snowboarding some time."~ 007 Nab. Ish.

PDN Gallery | I Made a Deviant Art!

I would work on having a more defined focal point in your signature. There is no place where your eye goes to automatically when you first look at it. If you want the focal to be the text, I would move it using the rule of thirds. If you want the focal point in your signature to be a specific part of the splatter, I would accent the part over the others, toning everything else down reducing contrast in color and brightness. Try to focus more on a color scheme as well, using complementary colors. Also, try to implement some depth, which could really do well in this specific signature - simply make some of the splatters less visible or vary them in sharpness / blurriness. This would help with realism and give the viewer a sense of space and light play when they look at your signature.

Right now your sig is off to a good start, but it's just that - a start - you can build up from where you've started, and fulfill its potential.

[/end lots of writing]

"pyrochild, you're my favorite person ever. We should go snowboarding some time."~ 007 Nab. Ish.

PDN Gallery | I Made a Deviant Art!

Thanks, but eeermmm [newbie question]what is the rule of the thirds[/newbie question].

And i am working on some depth.

I still need to find out lots of things since i only started a week ago.

So far i like my current avatar best.

WOW! i think i have a new avatar and sig every day! The above post may contain: junk, art, wrong spelling and a lot more!

Hiya,

I'm currently making a picture of the inside of a central corridor of a Japanese-style building. However, I've run into a little snag. I can't figure out how to do the shading for the various shadowed areas like the ceiling rafters. I'm also having difficulty with the secondary light source, an opening in the roof over a hole in the floor.

I've tried various shadowing techniques described in the Tutorials, but while they work great for single items, they don't work very well for larger environmental shadows. The image is below. Mind your step and try to ignore the huge shaft to the pits of despair (I haven't decided if I want a rock garden there or a reflecting pool), and the view outside is just temporary to help me envision the lighting.

CentralCorridor-Temp-color-02.png

If I missed a post that described how to resolve this when I searched for it, please direct me to the correct post. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Calamity

=================================================================

Edit (9-26-09):

I think I have the shadows worked out now. Thanks for the assistance! It's nice to know when you get stuck on something there is a resource you can turn to.

Just to clarify. Is the roof opening light source located over the "pits of despair", and is it the same size

as the floor opening?

==========================================================

Edit:

I suggest duplicating the interior as if the back wall was boarded over. Light it with the roof opening

as the only light source, then stack the two images and play with opacity and blend modes to find a

combination that gives a good gut-feel for the setting.

=========================================

Are you dissatisfied with the existing shadows, or is it mainly in trying to place them

in the more complex ceiling rafter area? Do you have a clear sense of how you want them to look?

Or is it still a more vague sense of things presently? The existing shadows look pretty good to me.

=========================================

The opening is slightly smaller due to the roof overhang I'm thinking.

Cheers,

Calamity

Edit:

Okay, thanks. Any suggestions on a technique to produce the shadows? I tried various gradients and blurred black lines, but nothing looked right.

---

There are no shadows in the picture at the moment (other than the one extending from the post which was more a lack of highlighting than an actual shadow). There is a gradient on the inner shoji panels, but that was me trying to give them more depth than intentionally shading them. But, yes, the main area of concern is the rafter area. They look illuminated slightly where they should be fairly dark. I'm thinking there should also be shadows on the upper portions of the walls as well.