How did you become good at PDN

I love paint.NET. It is my favorite piece of software used to edit images. I have seen some of the things that people have done with PDN, and I am floored by it. With me, it feels the most difficult thing I can do is antique an image, and even that is rather simple. How did you become "seasoned" at PDN? I have seen some amazing things done, and I the people who can do these advanced graphical effects, I can't begin to describe the awe I'm in at seeing this.

signature.jpg?t=1195534007

Play with it, and don't be afraid to make something that looks absolutely ridiculous.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

tuts tuts tuts, and questions questions questions, I asked Ash and Madjik and everyone else, I think until they were sick of hearing from me.

post pictures in the pictorium.

most of the people are helpful with suggestions.

Personally I actually learned much from the picture add on game we used to play in the overflow. That thread has since died out but it was a real great way to see what different effects did without committing to a picture. I wonder if it shouldn't be revived by the mods.. quite a few good PDN users learned in that game.

i just take a lot of the tuts, i personally write all the tuts on note cards to keep all of them in one place, but i just take the ideas and effects from all the tuts and make them in to stuff, and basicly experiment

1000sigwithout1000.png

My deviantART iGraphix

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this on your page if you're one of the 4% who will.

skilletism (n.) - The abnormal liking of the band "Skillet". (see PANHEAD)

panhead n. - an individual who shows extreme enthusiasm for the band Skillet. Generally driving for hours to concerts with frying pans riding shotgun.

It takes time and patience. I eventually discovered different ways to make more effects and such.

I think time is the key factor.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

yes time is very important, im literally always on my computer, and when ever im on PDN is ussually always open :lol:

1000sigwithout1000.png

My deviantART iGraphix

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this on your page if you're one of the 4% who will.

skilletism (n.) - The abnormal liking of the band "Skillet". (see PANHEAD)

panhead n. - an individual who shows extreme enthusiasm for the band Skillet. Generally driving for hours to concerts with frying pans riding shotgun.

Heh. BTW, BoltBait may want to look away at this....

Use Polar Inversion in different ways. As in, do a gradient and use it. Use different alpha values, use transparent areas, use it with other effecrts etc.

Keep on doing that until you have something which resembles something as good as cmjguinesses Polar Inversion works, or mabye even mine (Yes, I know the shameful self advertising has went through the roof, but how many people can use Polar Inversion well?

There's actually a whole bunch of things with Paint.net I yet have to try out. I'm sure I'll be better at PdN than I currently am right now.

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

tuts tuts tuts, and questions questions questions, I asked Ash and Madjik and everyone else, I think until they were sick of hearing from me.

post pictures in the pictorium.

most of the people are helpful with suggestions.

Personally I actually learned much from the picture add on game we used to play in the overflow. That thread has since died out but it was a real great way to see what different effects did without committing to a picture. I wonder if it shouldn't be revived by the mods.. quite a few good PDN users learned in that game.

You just make me proud to be a paintdotnetter... I think you won't make me sick as your work is so pleasant to me...

Im actually a newbie on here, but Im seasoned over on my mom's forum, CafeMom. We have a group there with tutorials and such. I just go through the list and do each one. Who cares what it looks like, the point is that you understand what you are doing. Once you've learned a few and you feel more confident, try making something all by yourself, like a collage or a siggy. It's all pretty much like a recipe.... adding pictures and text and effects. How much or how little is up to you.

Me? Call me crazy, and endlessly criticise my techniques, but 99.876% of the time I don't have a set plan or any idea of what I want to make. I pretty much just start off with something basic (like a black>>white gradient) and do some random stuff. Then as I keep on doing stuff, ideas pop into my head. Excitedly, it's all there. And done.

I know it's your common, genric answer, but quite literally just play and mess with it. The only exception (when I actually have a goal or something I really want to make) are MSC's and SOTW's.

tagflowsig.png

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

I am a disco dancer. +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Heh. BTW, BoltBait may want to look away at this....

Use Polar Inversion in different ways. As in, do a gradient and use it. Use different alpha values, use transparent areas, use it with other effecrts etc.

Keep on doing that until you have something which resembles something as good as cmjguinesses Polar Inversion works, or mabye even mine (Yes, I know the shameful self advertising has went through the roof, but how many people can use Polar Inversion well?

Ha ha that's so funny Andrew. knowing how Bolt Bait dislikes the polar.

the real trick to using Polar is to make it almost as if its not even there. hide the little bits and pieces within another bit of art work so BoltBait can;t detect it.

I love the polar inversion. wish the plug in boys would write a bipolar plug in just for me.

as Ash says "Ahem"

ciao

I think I just did every possible tutorial available here... and I tried to convert some photoshop tutorials into pdn tuts.

Hmm.... considering how much of the Tutorial forum is utter garbage, I think that would make someone worse ;)

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I also think you need to experiment with a lot of effects and adjustments and you'll become better.

I think I just did every possible tutorial available here... and I tried to convert some photoshop tutorials into pdn tuts.

Hmm.... considering how much of the Tutorial forum is utter garbage, I think that would make someone worse ;)

Hmm.... Who knows :P

Just might :wink:

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

Ash wouldnt stop inspiring me to greater things :shock: the plug in writers wouldnt stop bieng brilliant :shock: the few Great PDN artists couldnt hold back their generosity from making tuts.

And rick wouldnt stop evolving PDN. We should create a voters best list for PDN artists so I can cut and paste that to my da. Also have a voters best tutorial so I can flag the busy world down with that as well.

I am good because of my peers and my drive to experience my own vision of graphic art. I am good Because Rick made PDN and all the guys doing the coding have done a brilliant job. I am good because of the artists have shared their art in tutorials, I am good because people take my tutorials to their own level of excellence which inspires me more.

I am good because I have been gifted with artistic vision (by god) Art is humility, exploration, communication, fantasies, reality, the bridge from the body to the soul and infinity.

I am good because This forum and this program is good. And I returned that with dedication and hard work.

retired from PDN forums. Later dewds

Ash wouldnt stop inspiring me to greater things :shock: the plug in writers wouldnt stop bieng brilliant :shock: the few Great PDN artists couldnt hold back their generosity from making tuts.

And rick wouldnt stop evolving PDN. We should create a voters best list for PDN artists so I can cut and paste that to my da. Also have a voters best tutorial so I can flag the busy world down with that as well.

I am good because of my peers and my drive to experience my own vision of graphic art. I am good Because Rick made PDN and all the guys doing the coding have done a brilliant job. I am good because of the artists have shared their art in tutorials, I am good because people take my tutorials to their own level of excellence which inspires me more.

I am good because I have been gifted with artistic vision (by god) Art is humility, exploration, communication, fantasies, reality, the bridge from the body to the soul and infinity.

I am good because This forum and this program is good. And I returned that with dedication and hard work.

Well I am modest, not terribly good.

:wink:

Thanks for the mention :)

As for me...I always think "I can do better", So..Am I good? Maybe, but can I do better :) That's the question, and the drive to become good/better at anything, not just PDN :)

Well I am modest, not terribly good. :wink:

IMO, Quite good :)

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

I'd like to add, try increasing canvas sizes and deleting the extra stuff, then using an effect. I did things like that and on my second sig got a 9.9/10. :D

Now, when I was a new user, I used Cjmcguinness's tuts and Madjik's, etc. I would recommend as a nice builder that I used was Tom Jackson's fire tut or Fire Text tut.

Finally, sometimes it helps to just apply random effects and see what comes up.

chalksig2-1.png