How to: white background behind a photo

Christine S

Can someone please tell me step by step how to on paint.net choose a white background behind a photo for Amazon requirements?

BTW this is my first post so please go easy on me!!

Link to Amazon requirements?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200202110

Image Standards

• Images must accurately represent the product and show only the product that's for sale, with minimal or no propping.
  • MAIN images must have a pure white background (pure white blends in with the Amazon search and item detail pages - RGB values of 255, 255, 255).
  • MAIN images must show the actual product (not a graphic or illustration), and must NOT show excluded accessories, props that may confuse the customer, text that is not part of the product, or logos/watermarks/inset images.
  • The product must fill 85% or more of the image.
  • Images should be 1000 pixels or larger in either height or width, as this will enable zoom function on the website (zoom has proven to enhance sales). The smallest your file should be is 500 pixels on the longest side.
  • Amazon accepts JPEG (.jpg), TIFF (.tif), or GIF (.gif) file formats. JPEG is preferred.

Follow Simon Brown's tutorial for Cutting out images.

Personal, I'd just take new photos using a photography lightbox... if the object was small enough.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Are you taking the photos, or are you using photos from somewhere else? If you're taking the photos, you can make the task much easier by taking them against a fairly constant colored background that contrasts with the object. (You might suppose it's best to photograph against a white background, but I think it's usually easier to remove a green background from behind a non-green object than it is to recolor an almost-but-not-quite-white background to white, unless the object contains little white or near-white.)

Consider the volume of pictures that you will treat. You want to facilitate the task.

As MJW said, I think it would be a good idea to start with photos that stand out from the background. To remove the background I would use the magic wand and adjust the tolerance to select it and press delete. I would also soften the edges using the AA's_ Assistant plugin.

I do not know of a method to determine the coverage of the object other than estimating it with the eyes. Perhaps one of our plugin developers could help with this by creating a plugin that indicates the percentage of the surface covered by an object.

Edited by Eli

I do not know of a method to determine the coverage of the object other than estimating it with the eyes. Perhaps one of our plugin developers could help with this by creating a plugin that indicates the percentage of the surface covered by an object.

Detecting an object is the same class of problem as to detect the background.

In general if you select something then you will get the coverage of the selection in the status bar (as an amount of square pixels). So you can calculate the percentage by dividing this number with the number of pixels in the image.

In paint.net the term 'object' is typically used for a drawing on a transparent background. To get information about this kind of object you may use the 'Measure object' plugin.

• Upvote 1

midoras signature.gif

Detecting an object is the same class of problem as to detect the background.

In general if you select something then you will get the coverage of the selection in the status bar (as an amount of square pixels). So you can calculate the percentage by dividing this number with the number of pixels in the image.

In paint.net the term 'object' is typically used for a drawing on a transparent background. To get information about this kind of object you may use the 'Measure object' plugin.

Thanks midora! I just need to find my calculator... I am sure I bought one in the 70's. Where is it? :D

Useful info Midora!

I just need to find my calculator... I am sure I bought one in the 70's. Where is it?

In the same place as the slide-rule and log tables? :D
(I find it useful to set up a short cut to "Windows/System32/calc.exe".)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Shooting with a solid high contrast background is always preferable for image extraction. If you have a multicolored background, you need to be more creative.

In your case I would create an empty layer above the image. Then use the Line Tool (on straight edges) or the Pencil Tool to outline the object in white. Then use the Paint Bucket to fill the outer region. Then merge layers.

kCEPdH4.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Plane_Sig2.gif

Only my book :mrgreen: They have different image requirements.

Shooting with a solid high contrast background is always preferable for image extraction. If you have a multicolored background, you need to be more creative.

In your case I would create an empty layer above the image. Then use the Line Tool (on straight edges) or the Pencil Tool to outline the object in white. Then use the Paint Bucket to fill the outer region. Then merge layers.

kCEPdH4.gif

How do you merge layers

merge-layers-4c0d1eb.png

:)

Thank you both!! One more question?? Is there any way to shrink the background (white) without shrinking the picture in front?

I think you're thinking of cropping?

Yes.......I have a photo that is on a white background and I want to crop it and I can't figure out how to on Paint.NET.....Any help would be great!!

The selection tool you'll probably want to use is Rectangle Select. If your selection isn't quite right, you can select the Move Selection (not Move Selected Pixels) tool to adjust it prior to cropping.

Use the selection tool  :RectangleSelectTool: to select what you want to see in the final image, then click the Crop   :Crop:  button.

Thank you!!