How to Install Plugins ×

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread

RaveN

post-84258-0-75327800-1338196574_thumb.pHey all! I've downloaded Boltbait Pack & dpyplugins6.1, when I came to install them as per tutorial on the forum I see I have individual DLL files for Effects but no folder as mentioned by the Posters. This is what my Paint.net directory looks like ... Pls can one of you knowledgeable people tell me where they must go to in order to work? I do have a pressing need for the Word Art Effect, my business is bogged down until I can use the capability of it to complete things. Thanks! Version 3. 5.1

post-84258-0-75327800-1338196574_thumb.p

3.5.1 is way too old. You need to be using 3.5.10. Latest versions only, forever and always.

If there's no Effects folder then just create it. That's where effects go. They will not be recognized if they are anywhere else. Simple as that.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Rick, thanks for the advise & quick response. I'll do just that. I am running 3.5.10 BTW, fairies (yeah sure! finger trouble) musta hid the '0' from view :) No need to answer this but if I've got the same program as all others, surely it should've been there already, like with yours. I wouldn't have normally messed with a program file in any event. Cheers & happy Paint.net'íng

• 4 weeks later...

I hope I'm in the right area to ask about RAW files.

I've downloaded both zip files, extracted the files within them, and copied the files (dll, etc) into the File Types sub-folder in PDN. I have unblocked all the extracted files.

When I try to open an NEF (Nikon raw file) I get the error message 'there was an unspecified error while oepning the file'. I have read about going through the File>Open>Import sequence, however there is no Import option.

Suggestions please.

Many thanks

BK890

Not all RAW formats are the same :( . Different camera manufacturers have different ideas about the format.

Try another of the RAW plugins.

• 1 month later...

i've been using PDN for a while and know how to put plugins where they need to go buy i am having problems with a bunch of the plugin i loaded.. i really want the "outline object" by boltbait to work. its in my effects folder, its shows up on the program, it opens up and even looks like its going to do something but nothing ever outlines.. i have the most updated PDN, i've changed the color on the wheel, changed the background color, used it on an old pictures, new pictures, old font, and new font. i would say that its just an older plugin but i have around 10-15 plugins that don't work... its it just old, unupdated plugins or what?.. if this is the issue, does any one have a plugin that thickens preexisting lines?

thanks

blake

Hi Webbelot - welcome!

Do you mean Outline Selection? If so, you need to make a selection first, then apply it ;)

@ Webbelot, there is an outline object in boltbaits pack, but it needs an object to outline (text for example or even an image surrounded by a transparent area) Type some text on a new layer in a good size font and run the plug-in, change the colours and see it work. Remember, it will only outline an object if it can recognise one ;)

Edit - There is also a advanced version of outline object to be found here http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/7291-pyrochild-plugins-2011-10-09/ it's part of pyrochilds excellent plugin pack, well worth downloading B)

Edited by nitenurse79

ZXCBOoZ.png

Thats' the plugin. It's not zipped. Just copy/move the file into the Paint.NET/Effects folder and you'll be sweet.

Question: Why are you not downloading it via the link in this thread? http://forums.getpai...rushesmini-v21/

• 4 weeks later...

Once upon a time I had the plugin for drawing shapes (pentagons, etc) & it was in the EFFECTS Menu.

Then I got a new computer (windows 7) and downloaded Paint.NET again.

I just downloaded BoltBait's shapes plugin (after sending a donation to David Issel) & followed all the directions. Went back & unblocked all of the DLL files which I had put in the EFFECTS Folder, but they just haven't shown up anywhere -- not in Effects Menu, not in Adjustments Menu, nor any other menu nor on any of the tool bars.

Help!

thanks . . .

Len Kamiensky

Try one of these:

Stars

Polygon/Stars

The first is MadJik's, the latter BoltBaits.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Why not follow the advice of the pop-up and install the latest version of the plugins?

• 1 month later...

Forget about the waxing lyrical ... this is painting lyrical ! & Amusing too. Seriously guys thank you for your input. Especially the one about the original date being 3 yrs old - that was really dumb of me not to take cognizance of the date (must be work load getting to me). The  rest of you fellows thank you for the further discussion & LOL's. Good natured humour like y'all gave, makes the forum a really GOOD thing to be part of ! i,e, Creative people are happy people, are funny people are damn good human beings.( ... Yeah! Post tutorials together one thread) [see?] are clever people too :)

• 3 months later...

The instructions should be virtually the same.

You need to locate the directory where Paint.NET is installed.  For a default installation this should be a folder named Paint.NET.

Under the Paint.NET folder are a number of sub-folders.  Two of these should be named Effects and Filetypes.  The unzipped *.dll files within the file you downloaded need to be copied to the Effects folder.

• 2 months later...