How to Install Plugins ×

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread

RaveN

OS = Operating System, Windows is an operating system.

If you click on the "Start Orb" at the bottom-left of the screen, the Start menu will pop up.

If there is the word - Documents - on the right side, click it.

Look for a folder named Paint.NET User Files inside the Documents folder.

<br />What is an OS? <br /><br /><br />This computer is a widows vista.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Okay, I found that, and there are four files:

Custom Brushes... type FILE FOLDER

Effects presets... type FILE FOLDER

Palettes... type FILE FOLDER

PSFilterPdn... type XML Document

What do I do now?

<br />If you have already extracted the brush images out of the .abr files,<br />then you can copy/paste them into the Custom Brushes folder.<br /><br />.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I already tried to do that (right before I asked "what do I do now")

When I extracted from that brush I downloaded from "Brusheez", there were three files that I copied, they were:

Soke Brush preview........... JPEG Image

smoke_brushes............. ABR file

Ghost amplitude brushes...... ABR file

I selected all three of those and copied them, I then doubled clicked on that "custom brushes" file you helped me find... I then pasted those three things into that "custom brushes"

When I then turned Paint.net on, and went to effects, then tools, then custom brushes... I say what was basically the ICON of the brush I downloaded... but that (just like the other images) is a square image...

Here's what that image that it put there looks like...

http://brusheezy.cdn.eezyinc.com/system/resources/thumbnails/000/017/195/large/smoke_brush_preview.jpg?1295542233

It's from the Brusheez page I downloaded it from. It's not a brush.

<br />Go back to the tutorial that I gave the link to.<br /><br /><a href=' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow'>http://forums.getpai...rushesmini-v19/</a><br /><br />Go to the part that says, <b>"The files are .abr files. Now what?"</b>.<br /><br />Use the ABRviewer program to convert the .abr files to .png files.<br /><br />.<br />
<br /><br /><br />Okay, I clicked where that tutorial said "(This can be downloaded here)" the "HERE" link... I then saw, "Looking for the latest version? Download Release_NET20_2.0.rar (60.0 KB) I clicked on that link

Then up came the screen "what what you like FireFox to do with this file?" I clicked "save" and NOT "Open"

The little "Downloads" window popped up, which means I did indeed download it.... (it was " Release_NET20_2.0.rar. ")

I can't figure out how to use, or where to find whatever it is I just downloaded, though...

What am I missing, now?

<br />Here's a different program with a similar name.<br /><br />It should be easier, and the website has good instructions in a video.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.easyelements.com/abrview.html' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow'>http://www.easyeleme...om/abrview.html</a><br />
<br /><br /><br />

The video won't work for me, I'm not sure why, though...

But I did download it, I did the

Windows (exe)

http://www.easyelementsextra.com/ABRView.exe ...one

I'm not sure what to do with it, though...

I went to "Add another directory" and then I clicked on Paint.Net user file and then I clicked on custom brushes...

And it's there, and I can preview the brushes... but how do I then get them from that, onto Paint.net? So I can actually use them...

I typed in abrviewimages and there was nothing. It said "No items match your search" ... ?

By the way, that tutorial's video started working, and I watched it (although it didn't tell how to get these brushes onto P.N)

I feel like I'm so close to getting this... I'm just not quite sure what I'm missing...

BUT... when I just type "ab" a bunch of things pop up...

they're all the brushes (and I think a brush pack from a while ago) that I've downloaded.

A lot of them are the same thing (because I've downloaded the same thing multiple times in various attempts to get it.

One of the things that pops up when I type ab is the smoke brush.

Does this help at all?

Edited by EggmanEdd

Hold on... I just REALLY messed up.

I was fooling around with that stuff to see if I could get it to work, and now when I click on PAINT.NET it takes me to that ABRView place with the brushes... It's like I've completely replaced Paint.net with it!

What I did was

1 clicked in "ab"

2 then clicked on "ghost amplitude brushes" (which is the smoke brush)

3 then I clicked on "save" instead of clicking on "open"

4 then I think where it said "save type as" (ABR File) I switched to "all files" and I clicked Paint.net.

5 which has COMPLETELY turned PAINT.NET into that list of brushes...

I tried to fix it by going into the P.N files PROPERTIES ...THEN OPEN FILE LOCATION...

I saw the file which was there, so I clicked delete (thinking if I deleted it, Paint.NET would go back to the way it was... but now (because I've deleted it, when I click on P.N it takes me to nothing

I looked, and all the files are still there, (like in the effects folder all is still there) but I can't actually get ONTO Paint.NET anymore...

Do you know how to fix this?

Edited by EggmanEdd

<br />You might want to try System Restore.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow'>http://www.howtogeek...system-restore/</a><br /><br />.<br />
<br /><br /><br />Thank you!!

That did it, Paint.net is back, when I click on it, it takes me to it.

Unfortunately, now it no longer has the effects I've from gotten from plugins... Although I kind of feel like I deserve that for being such a retard.

Hi Guys ... my problem is im not able to see the boltbait's plugin pack that i just installed.

I'm running PDN V3.10

OS - Vista

Downloaded the plugin pack and extracted the files to c:/programe files / PDN / effects folder

All permission are administrator. ( i don't however see any unlock or allow button in the properties of any of the dll files)

When i restart eh system and open PDN im not able to see any of the plugins either feather or bevel in either of the effects tab or adjustments or any of the other sub folders ...

Please help ...

thanks in advance.

PS: i just downloaded the gradient plugin and it works like a charm ... still though im not able to see the rest from the plugin pack.

Edited by hijack

• 2 weeks later...

gah! thankies!

also...i have downloaded the 'button maker' effect plugin but can't find it. it's also in the effects folder. should i move it so that it'll pop up?

Signature.png

"Even the Gods wish to not be alone..."

[And yes, I did draw my Avatar. see it full-sized on my deviantart page.]

Brushes don't go in the Effects folder,

they go in the Custom Brushes folder.

Typically:

"C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Paint.NET User Files\Custom Brushes"

i only have the palletes folder, not the custom brushes one. make a new folder perhaps?

Signature.png

"Even the Gods wish to not be alone..."

[And yes, I did draw my Avatar. see it full-sized on my deviantart page.]