How to Install Plugins ×

Animated Image 2.4 - AGIF & APNG

Simon Brown

What I was trying to save was only 300 pixels wide by 15 pixels tall, and only two layers.

I also downloaded the demo GIF sown on the original post in this thread. After renaming it to an AGIF, I was able to open it just fine and it showed all the layers. When I tried to save it as an AGIF with another name, it gave me the same error.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong because I don't see this question in the thread...

When I save my agif, the transparent background is replaced with a solid color (I think from the primary color in my color palette). I need it to stay transparent. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a bunch. This plugin could save me yet another trip to photoshop.

AldenG

• 4 weeks later...
You can also show APNGs in Chrome, IE9 and Safari with this.

Er, how? Not seeing anything there that helps.

Also, Chrome already has an extension that allows you to view APNGs inbrowser.

@ aldeng, your doing nothing wrong, its just that animated GIFs/AGIFs don't tollerate transparency.

Note: This only applies to animated GIFs. If I remember right (been a while since I saved a file with transparency in GIF format) non-animated GIFs tollerate transparency.

Edited by FriendlyFire

• 1 month later...

my memory is murky at best, since I haven't been making gifs/pngs in a while, but if I had to guess, I'd say the file could be too large. I think that's what happened to me last time that happened. the config screen only gives out an estimated file size (I think that's native to PDN), and there could already be an error in the image internally. I know I can't really trust the file size results, because I've had to do some trial and error editing when using images for a certain forum that has stringent file size and image dimension criteria. it could still work (I think I've made some successful attempts in the past with this problem).

but then again, it could be something else entirely.

What I was trying to save was only 300 pixels wide by 15 pixels tall, and only two layers.

I also downloaded the demo GIF sown on the original post in this thread. After renaming it to an AGIF, I was able to open it just fine and it showed all the layers. When I tried to save it as an AGIF with another name, it gave me the same error.

Still does not work. Author is unresponsive. I recommend this for deprecation.

Not gonna happen. If the plugin was buggy I might think about it, but many satisfied users are using this without problems.

How about uploading the troublesome image and posting the link here so we can try and resolve the issue?

Are you using the latest version of Paint.NET (3.5.10) and the latest version of the plugin?

does this support individual duration time for each frame, i know in greenfish it allows you to do this.

ok so this is what i got, the left one made in Paint.net and the right one made in Greenfish.

digit.gifcountdown28.gif

I used the same technique to make both, so why is this one being blacked out?

Edited by rj10328

English albeit with a slight spelling error.

didactical adjective . 1. intended for instruction; instructive: didactic poetry. 2. inclined to teach or lecture others too much: a boring, didactic speaker.

I think the poster is asking for an instruction manual.

@Parisien: Welcome! Try this thread to see if it answers your questions: http://forums.getpai...-with-paintnet/

• 1 month later...

You won't find it in any of the menus if that is what you're asking. It's a filetype plugin so there is little to indicate it's presence until you display the list of file formats (at the bottom of the load/save dialogs).

The plugin will extend the list by adding *.agif and *.apng. If you see those file types then the plugin is installed.

I'm having the same trouble. Opened a valid png file, selected and copied a portion of it's text, pasted that into new layers with transparent backgrounds, made my alterations to each new layer, saved successfully to both aPNG and aGIF file, renamed to PNG and GIF respectively, and both "play" in Firefox except:

the PNG animates but the original "background" pic I started with get's covered over by the subsequent frames. Unfortunately, everything in those frames was supposed to be transparent, but are a dark grey... which is the default workspace color of my theme in FF. The idea here was to have a static background (the original png) with text that gradiated from one end to the other.

the GIF animates but again, same troubles as above except the added "transparent" frames cover over the original background pic in white.

I've tried several methods to find a work-around, to no avail. (about 2 hours worth now!) I duplicated many layers of the original PNG image and only altered the text in each frame (layer) and it still does the same. I even cleared FF's cache and also renamed the faulty file just to be sure the browser wasn't caching and old copy. ;(

Hi, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong because I don't see this question in the thread...

When I save my agif, the transparent background is replaced with a solid color (I think from the primary color in my color palette). I need it to stay transparent. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a bunch. This plugin could save me yet another trip to photoshop.

AldenG

Maybe someone could add a description to the first post of this thread how the plugin is working.

This is my understanding.

The plugin loads all frames of an animation as individual layers.

Bottom layer gets the first frame and the top layer the last frame.

The bottom layer will be marked as visible and all others as invisible.

The visibility has no impact if you are saving the layers back to the animation.

The bottom layer of the saved file will be frame 1 and the top layer the last frame.

You can not define disposal methods between frames.

So in the animation every frame overwrites the previous frame.

You can not define individual timings just a fixed one.

This means if you like to animate something over a fixed background you have to merge this background to each layer.

Because of these issues I started to code 'PDNAnimator' which uses animation information like timings, disposal methods, backgrounds and tweening coded in the layer name. This may extend what this plugin allows already.

midoras signature.gif

Because of these issues I started to code 'PDNAnimator' which uses animation information like timings, disposal methods, backgrounds and tweening coded in the layer name. This may extend what this plugin allows already.

please update this thread when your coding effort is finished

This will take some time ;-)

In the moment you may check here

At the end there will be a tutorial in the Paint.NET forums about how to use Paint.NET together with this tool to create animations.

This is just a hint. We should not use this plugin thread to discuss other possibilities to create animations.

• Upvote 1

midoras signature.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Because of these issues I started to code 'PDNAnimator' which uses animation information like timings, disposal methods, backgrounds and tweening coded in the layer name.

It's not actually a good idea, except for timings.

Users should not care about the codec details like disposal and blending methods. For example, if you ever worked with video, you know that video codecs rarely use full frames, they usually save difference between frames, but such implementation details are hidden from the user. When user opens a video in video editor, it shows full frames, not difference between frames. Decoder is smart enough to take care of little details like disposal and blending methods, and present you with full frames. The same with encoder, it's usually smart enough not to save full frames, it calculates the difference between frames automatically, and saves only that.

APNG is kinda like lossless video codec, so the same logic applies.

I implemented such logic in APNG Assembler, and it works fine.

For sure disposal methods, blend ops and color reduction algorithms are hidden. You need them to get a smaller file size of the animation. But the user may provide hints (like a preferred palette). Because you are the author of an encoder you know that the frame optimizing part is a complex thing. I'm pretty sure that the first releases of PDNAnimator will not provide a good packing rate in all cases. But this is not so important.

The idea behind PDNAnimator is to create animations w/o painting each individual frame. Because this is quite often a pain ;-)

Give it a try.

midoras signature.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The agif file must be opened with Paint.NET.  That's the purpose of this plugin. 

You'll have to rename them to use them elsewhere (just like it says in the first post in this thread).