How to Install Plugins ×

Animated Image 2.4 - AGIF & APNG

Simon Brown

Hey guys, love this plugin, however Im having a few issues.

Whenever I save an apng, I get this thin border around the edge of the image. It seems to be a little piece of the very first frame which sorta sticks there.

Heres an example:

ada.png

you notice it on the right and bottom of the image.

its not as pronounced on that apng, but on others its quite noticeable. Is there a fix for this? I make sure that no layers have been shifted or anything, but this border just wont go away.

Any help with this guys?? ( I apologize if this has been answered before.)

Also, the reason I use png over agif is because the finshed agif has a terrible pixelization problem. Just tiny dots all over. With apng you dont get that. Is this normal? I know making gifs in GIMP wont give you that problem, but this is beside the topic.Would be nice if there was a fix for this though. Converting apng's to gifs over and over gets tiring after a while.

Edited by talon1

gif files have a limited color palette. The .agif plugin here has a preset palette, so it has to dither to make other colors. GIMP chooses the color palette based on the image, so that's why it doesn't usually have the tiny dots everywhere.

png images don't have a limited palette at all, so they will always look great.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I doubt it can be fixed easily as I tried to save the image and crop it using Benetton Movie Maker to see if it could be done, it opens as 1 single frame no matter which extension is used including gif. Hopefully someone can help figure out a way Talon, good luck! :D

RFX5A1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded this today, and successfully created an animated .agif.  When I open the .agif on firefox from my C:, it animates perfectly. However, I want to share this animated gif with a friend. Photobucket would not allow me to upload an .agif. I tried saving into a .gif, but it flattens the image, such that when I open the .gif in firefox, the image is static on the final frame (top layer.)  I have all of the layers checked as visible. How can I solve this issue?

I downloaded this today, and successfully created an animated .agif.  When I open the .agif on firefox from my C:, it animates perfectly. However, I want to share this animated gif with a friend. Photobucket would not allow me to upload an .agif. I tried saving into a .gif, but it flattens the image, such that when I open the .gif in firefox, the image is static on the final frame (top layer.)  I have all of the layers checked as visible. How can I solve this issue?

You have to rename the .agif file to .gif before uploading it.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

not just this. Photobucket, like other upload sites, may have limitations on file type, file size, and bandwidth usage.

in this case:

Animated GIF limits

5 MB or less for the original animated .gif  and 800 frames or less.

I don't recall if you can upload an .agif, but you could upload a .gif. I doubt your .gif is that large, but if it is smaller than these requirements, then check for the file type and contact their support.

Edited by Earl Brooks

Hey guys, love this plugin, however Im having a few issues.

Whenever I save an apng, I get this thin border around the edge of the image. It seems to be a little piece of the very first frame which sorta sticks there.

Heres an example:

ada.png

you notice it on the right and bottom of the image.

its not as pronounced on that apng, but on others its quite noticeable. Is there a fix for this? I make sure that no layers have been shifted or anything, but this border just wont go away.

Any help with this guys?? ( I apologize if this has been answered before.)

Also, the reason I use png over agif is because the finshed agif has a terrible pixelization problem. Just tiny dots all over. With apng you dont get that. Is this normal? I know making gifs in GIMP wont give you that problem, but this is beside the topic.Would be nice if there was a fix for this though. Converting apng's to gifs over and over gets tiring after a while.

I saved as PNG, viewed in Firefox again.

confirmed the "border" is still there.

saved as .apng, opened in PDN.

the border is there. it could be from the source, or it could be this image itself.

on the other hand, just a couple pages earlier in this thread, and this is a similar issue, with a much simpler example:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13454-animated-image-24-agif-apng/page-19#entry362495

could this somehow be related? I'm not sure what the exact solution is.

I did that, as bolded above.

not just this. Photobucket, like other upload sites, may have limitations on file type, file size, and bandwidth usage.

in this case:

I don't recall if you can upload an .agif, but you could upload a .gif. I doubt your .gif is that large, but if it is smaller than these requirements, then check for the file type and contact their support.

The reason why I didn't uploading the small-file .gif was because, when it saved the .agif to a .gif, it became a static image. I just uploaded right now, and sure enough, it does not animate; it's stuck on a single frame.

I'll be a bit more detailed. After creating all my layer/frames, I saved into a .agif with certain delay/loop settings. Then I "save as" the .agif into a .gif. It then prompts me for dithering/transparency options, as usual when saving a .gif.  I was then prompted to flatten it, which I did.  I just followed through these steps a second time, uploaded it to photobucket, and the image was still static.

I appreciate both of you two's prompt replies.  :) Please spot my mistake.

Re PDNAnimator:

When I next log on with something larger I could copy these posts to a new thread. Probably Developers Central. Would that appease?

I did that, as bolded above.

The reason why I didn't uploading the small-file .gif was because, when it saved the .agif to a .gif, it became a static image. I just uploaded right now, and sure enough, it does not animate; it's stuck on a single frame.

I'll be a bit more detailed. After creating all my layer/frames, I saved into a .agif with certain delay/loop settings. Then I "save as" the .agif into a .gif. It then prompts me for dithering/transparency options, as usual when saving a .gif.  I was then prompted to flatten it, which I did.  I just followed through these steps a second time, uploaded it to photobucket, and the image was still static.

I appreciate both of you two's prompt replies.  :) Please spot my mistake.

you don't save the .agif (or .apng) as a .gif (or .png). you simply save the .agif first, THEN exit PDN, and manually rename the file. you can't save a .gif/.png from opening a .agif/.apng file and expect it to work this way, because it doesn't do that. the reason for this is that you ended up flattening the image, my friend. the prompt you get should warn: "Saving in this file format requires that the image is first "flattened", which reduces it to a single layer." (underlined is my emphasis).

this means your top layer would be superimposed over all the lower layers, so you would only get 1 layer. since it is flattened, then in a plain .gif/.png format it sort of rewrites the file, which doesn't include the special animation data. hence, the reason this plugin exists, so that you can toy with special .agif/.apng files, because PDN did not include any kind of coding input for animation.

I make it a habit to make 2 copies of the .agif/.apng for editing purposes. one of them would be the original file in a separate folder (due to naming conflicts) and used as a template, in case I lose any info. alternatively, I can save the .agif/.apng and also save a .pdn file in the same folder the same way. the point is that the final product is finally saved ONLY as a .agif/.apng, to be renamed later outside of PDN.

Edited by Earl Brooks

Re PDNAnimator:

When I next log on with something larger I could copy these posts to a new thread. Probably Developers Central. Would that appease?

Ok I've split out the relevant posts concerning PDNAnimator.  Find that thread here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/26126-pdnanimator

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the plugin!  One thing I noticed is that the images seem to have been saved with the 'dithering' option enabled - perhaps an easy quality improvement might be possible if this can be switched off?

I tested by loading an AGIF into paint.net (created by Adobe After Effects) and then doing a Save As straight away, to compare the resulting animation.  The only difference seems to be a diffusion/dithering pattern across each frame.

Anyway, figured I'd at least register to express my gratitude, and try to give something back, if it helps in some small way.

If you search you can find a freeware named unfreez gif creator. You can save a line of gif images and drop them in. It will save it as an animated gif. The bonus to this is you can remove as much dithering as you want before dropping them in. The file just gets a bit bigger in size. If you can't find it let me know, i still have a copy.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't get it, maybe someone could make a tutorial for youtube?

I have a 14 frame, 720 x 80 image.

I save the image. I try saving it as urbz.agif (the image is called urbz). This resaults in urbz.agif.pdn

I try saving as urbz.pdn, then renaming it to urbz.agif, this resaults in urbz.agif.pdn, again.

Any help? Thanks!

I don't get it, maybe someone could make a tutorial for youtube?

I have a 14 frame, 720 x 80 image.

I save the image. I try saving it as urbz.agif (the image is called urbz). This resaults in urbz.agif.pdn

I try saving as urbz.pdn, then renaming it to urbz.agif, this resaults in urbz.agif.pdn, again.

Any help? Thanks!

first, did you save this as a filetype plugin?

next, you should be saving it only as "urbz", then click the filetype dropdown (as if you were to save it as a .pdn, .jpg, .gif, .png, etc.) the items that should be on this list should have a .agif and a .ajpg.

then after you save them, exit PDN, then go to the folder you saved the file and manually rename it.

You're typing in the extension.  Don't.  Just type in the file name (urbz) in that space. Choose the agif extension from the dropdown list.

Answered on the next page.

I'm surprised Chrome recognizes the extension AGIF.  The AGIF extension is only required for the purposes of this plugin within Paint.NET.  For all external uses you should rename the file with the extension GIF.

How does the animated image work with other browsers?