Poll: Which version of Windows are you using?

Which version of Windows are you using?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Windows are you using?

• Windows Vista
    • Windows XP SP2
    • Windows XP SP3
    • Other

I use Windows XP SP3 on my pc but on my laptop I use Windows Vista. Does the windows vista version I use matter??

For this discussion / poll, no.

Make sure you have the latest service pack for Vista installed, however (that would be Vista SP1).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I voted other because I am in a mixed environment.

I have Linux, Vista and XP-SP3. At work we are just starting to transition to SP3, but may just skip it and go right to Vista if it ever gets fixed right. On the Linux systems we are running PDN via Wine. Took some doing but we got it going.

Reasons:

HOME - The first issue of SP3 was buggy. I rolled back till it was stable. (About 6 months after initial release.)

WORK - I work for a very large agency, 300,000+(yes really that big), and our tier-1 IT had to approve it first. That took forever since the first issue of SP3 was buggy.

BOTH - Autoupdate (wuauclt.exe) does not properly roll out SP3. I run two WSUS servers, 60% of my systems fail to install SP3 (as a WSUS push) for one or all of the following:

1. Have to manually go to MS Update site and update an Active X control. (I so do despise Active X)

2. Have to manually go to MS Update site and update "Windows Genuine Authentication" tool.

3. If Autoupdate downloaded SP3 AND you select "Install and Shutdown" option when exiting windows, systems tend to hang indefinitely. Those that don't hang will report that SP3 was installed, but if you check the properties it will still say SP2 and Autoupdate will keep offering SP3.

Bottom line: We still have to go to every system and verify SP3 installed correctly and/or manually go to MS Update site and install it.

I am using Windows XP SP2.

I didn't know there was a SP3... until I saw this thread. I am reluctant to upgrade, however. Microsoft's newer products seem lower in quality on a whole, ranging from their Office Suite to their new operating system.

Disagreed. Office 07 is a much better product than Office 03, and Vista is actually pretty awesome.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I'm using XP SP2 and have no intention of upgrading to SP3 because there is almost nothing in SP3 thats worth it. SP3 is mostly bloat-software that most users Do Not Need. On top of the afore mentioned, it has caused conciderable problems and crashes on many PC's in which I have tried to install it.

Actually it is worth upgrading from SP2 to SP3. For example, if you haven't updated your computer since SP2 first came out, you've missed out on about 4 years worth of security fixes.

I can't vote (don't know why), but I do answer.

I'm using Windows XP sp2.

Why no SP3? Because everything works fine with SP2, I download critical security updates, and I know that some softwares I'm using have issues with XP SP3 (and .Net 3.5 framework...).

I'll see what I do when PdN 4.0 comes out ;)

Regards,

Skro

ZoC radio, Chaos is on the air

I'm using XP SP2 and have no intention of upgrading to SP3 because there is almost nothing in SP3 thats worth it. SP3 is mostly bloat-software that most users Do Not Need. On top of the afore mentioned, it has caused conciderable problems and crashes on many PC's in which I have tried to install it.

I installed it just fine. First loadup after installing took a little longer than normal (too big a change in too little a time), but now everything is fixed and up to speed. Nothing at all went wrong.

I have XP Home Edition SP3, had no problems with upgrade when I installed it a while back. I just have one question, what does the .NET Framework exactly do for Windows... cause I don't really understand that part...and where can i find what version of the framework i have? ~thanks in advance

deviantART | Paint.NET Gallery | bennettfrazier.com <-- (My new Website!)

At home I tend to install all updated as soon as they are released and I'm reasonably sure they won't break anything. At work, however, installing huge updates on many computers requires a lot of time. For example, XP SP3 will probably require two hours for each machine, which are two wasted hours. So, basically the reason why we still use XP SP2 is the lack of time to install SP3.

I evangelized all colleagues to use Paint.NET, so that would be a good reason to finally install SP3.

Installation time of SP3 varies from user to user. For computers that rarely if ever get updated manually or otherwise, it will take longer because older files have to be overwritten by newer versions after the updater has cataloged a list of all system files to update, then it (updater) proceeds to update only the ones is has cataloged that need updating. The list will be larger, and the task of cataloging and updating will take longer if you haven't updated in 4 years.

If you're like me, and update when updates come out, migrating from SP2 to SP3 shouldn't take all that long, because the majority of the SP3 installation is all the critical Windows Updates updates up to the point SP3 was released dating back to SP2, are included, as well as updated system files that not only Windows uses but Windows applications use.

So, for me, installing SP3 took about 15-20 minutes (not including the 7-8 minutes it took to download on a reasonably fast cable modem connection)