Poll: Which version of Windows are you using?

Rick Brewster

Which version of Windows are you using?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Windows are you using?

• Windows Vista
    • Windows XP SP2
    • Windows XP SP3
    • Other

I'm still using XP SP2 on both my laptops and have decided to change to XP Black (XP with a lot VISTA functions and compatibility with VISTA-only programs) on my big some-what old machinery that somebody calls a computer. I have no idea if that is a modified SP2, but I think it qualifies as "other".

There's a fine line between luck and skills. I just can't see where I put it.

Windows XP, SP3... I'm using SP3 just because I didn't like the way SP2 was acting. Got bored, and updated to SP3. All of my programs work fine, if not better. Sticking with Windows forever. Mac is for people that are computer illiterate.

XP SP2, as I see no point (even as a .Net developer) to update to SP3. Seriously, why?

Security fixes, perhaps? I went from Vista to XP SP3.

Windows XP SP2. Some of my machines have been updated to SP3, but I've been holding off on others. My experience is that even on a clean WinXP install, adding Service Pack 3 slows the machine down a modest but noticeable amount. I'd rather download the extra 2MB you described.

DaveL

Hey, I am using XP Pro SP2, but I am trying to download SP3.

Uhhh, it gives me the message in the middle of the download saying: "No permission."

Yes, I BOUGHT this XP, and it's checked by the Geniuine Windows Check.

Help??

ubda9395ai2.gif

Made this userbar myself :D

Nice, huh?

If you want to use it, take this link: http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4497/ubda9395ai2.gif

Hey, I am using XP Pro SP2, but I am trying to download SP3.

Uhhh, it gives me the message in the middle of the download saying: "No permission."

Yes, I BOUGHT this XP, and it's checked by the Geniuine Windows Check.

Help??

You'll need to ask Microsoft. This is not a Microsoft tech support forum.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I think a lot of people are not upgrading to XP Sp3 due to the lots of problems that have occurred with this wonderful buggy update provided by our friend Bill.

Sp3 RC1 had the great effect of BSOD for quite a lot of people myself included. I only had an OEM version of windows Xp Pro and had to download a retail pack to install recovery console just to copy the dll file that was not copied into the sys32 folder that was part of windows boot-up.

The last update received from Microsoft last week 5 in all mostly for office fail install has created an issue after quickly looking into this apparently Microsoft is aware are suppose to release a patch next week.

Have once again turned off windows auto update and going back to 3 month manual way

Vista what can one say good about this? I know NOTHING!!!! :twisted:

You only have to look on line and let your fingers do the Googling to see what the masses think about VISTA.

Microsoft has finally admitted they got the wow factor quite a bit %# up and are now pushing Windows 7 for an earlier release and a lot of companies are planning to bypass rolling out Vista opting to wait for Windows 7 instead.

I will be staying with XP Pro Sp3 & various Ubutu Versions for a long while yet

On paint.net love this program and what it can do keep up the great work :mrgreen:

Budda [sic] From The Land Down Under

My NLE Al-rounder System Build OS: Windows 764bit Sp1

CPU:I7-2600K @4.5 gig

COOLING:Antec KHuler H920 Liquid (2 X 120MM Fans Push/Pull)

GPU:Asus ENGTX560Ti Direct CUII Overclocked 930MHz

RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16 Gig DDR3-1600

C DRIVE:Corsair 120 Gig Force3STORAGE:12 TB Of RAID & JOBD

PSU:ThermaTake XT 875W 80 Plus CASEThermaltake A60Case Fans: Antec 1x200mm 5x120mm (Blue Led)

Hey guys,

I'm running SP2 because I fit the "10,000 seat company that hasn't upgraded yet" you describe on your blog.

These Microsoft updates really mess with legacy software, etc. The company only started going SP2 last year, and as the first machine upgraded I got to run into the glitches. There's no way we'll be SP3 in the foreseeable future. My company also only officially supports IE 6. Blech. Fortunately I'm able to install the other browsers. Please consider requiring the Windows Installer or other much less drastic requirements for those of us in cubicle hell. 5-year-old software may seem unbelievable, but we have to deal with it. At least I have SP2 now.

How about XP x64? Vote "other"?

Yes, "other" :) XP x64 is really the workstation build of Server 2003 SP1. That's why its service packs aren't lined up with regular XP x86's service packs.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi -

Concerning the idea of requiring SP3 to install paint.net:

I use Paint.net in unattended installers created for Windows XP Pro, XP Pro 64, XP Media Center Edition 2005 and Server 2003 64 bit. The 64 bit OS service packs do not line up with the 32 bit ones, and there is no SP3 for the 64 bit versions. On MCE, one cannot relably/easily slipstream SP3 into MCE2005 so it has to be added after the fact. I install Paint.net and several other apps as part of installing the OS and in the MCE case, there will be no SP3 unless I change around my unattended installer a lot. My current unattended installer automatically installs Installer 3.1 and .net 3.5 before Paint.net is installed.

By the way, great job on Paint.net.

One little request, perhaps I should post it elsewhere. Printing is a bit problematic. Paint.net uses the same printing engine that the Windows Explorer/jpeg viewer uses, which is set up to frame photos. I would like to specify scaling and position on the page in the same way that IrfanView or Microsoft Photo Editor allow.

Thanks.

- Mike

One little request, perhaps I should post it elsewhere. Printing is a bit problematic. Paint.net uses the same printing engine that the Windows Explorer/jpeg viewer uses, which is set up to frame photos. I would like to specify scaling and position on the page in the same way that IrfanView or Microsoft Photo Editor allow.

Search for "Printer+."

KaHuc.png

Search for "Printer+."

actually Simon when you type Printer+ in the search engine it doesn't bring up your plugin.

ciao OMA

Im kinda confused on what im using xD

I just got my Alienware laptop and when i was customizing it I chose vista service pack somethine something x64 or 64 something but when I go to Local Disk C I have Program Files and Program Files x86 and when I install things it always goes to x86??

holymotherofpoop.png

To Admin: Is this sig really too big?

He means "when I install my games, they goes in the Program Files (x86) folder".

Either you have a 64bit OS and Program Files (x86) shows up, or you have a 32bit one and everything goes like it's 2001.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio