Make some abstract with PDN v1 (2017-10-21)

MadJik

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Make some abstract with PDN v1

NB: this is a revival of a lost tutorial originally published in 2008. 

My definition:
Some abstract is something that looks like nothing, but it is still nice to look or so intriguing...

My examples:

abstract28b.jpg

abstract20.jpg

Other related tutorials:
V2 A way to create more abstract...  https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/21469-a-way-to-create-more-abstract/
V3 Do some abstract https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/21679-do-some-abstract-v3/

My tutorial: 

Needed plugins:
Polar Inversion Plus (Ed Harvey) use the built-in Polar inversion.

Gradient Blur (MadJik) https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=6532
Motion sharpen (MadJik) https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=9282

01. :FileNew: create a new image. As usual I build my tutorial with 800x600 pixels images. But it's really better to use bigger image (3200x2400).

02. :GradientTypeLinearClamped: With default colors (black and white) draw a linear gradient :GradientTypeLinearClamped: with angle between 30° and 60° for corner to corner.
ab01.jpg

03. :GradientTypeLinearClamped: Select the magic wand tool. Set the tolerance to 10-15%. Hold the key [Ctrl] and select 5-10 slices of the gradient. Try to have a regular gap between the slices.
ab02.jpg

04. :GradientTypeLinearClamped: With the selection, draw another linear gradient with a different angle (ex: vertical or horizontal).
ab03.jpg

05. :EditDeselect: Deselect, and menu Effect / Distort /Polar Inversion :PolarInversionEffect: (use the built-in Polar inversion.), Amount:0.80, Edge Behavior:Clamp to edge, Quality:5
ab04.jpg

06. pdn4icons_pdn4icons.MenuLayersDuplicateLayerIcon.png Duplicate the layer. Then :TwistEffect: Twist Effect Amount:18, Size:2, Quality:5. Hide the top layer.
ab05.jpg

07. Menu Image, :ImageFlipHorizontal: Flip Horizontal, Select the background layer, [Ctrl] + F : repeat the last effect (Twist).
ab06.jpg

08. Select and show the layer on the top. Press F4 :LayersLayerProperties:, and play with the blend mode to find interesting result...

ab07a.jpg

ab07b.jpg

ab07c.jpg

ab07d.jpg

ab07e.jpg

ab07f.jpg 

Your choice could be different if the image is different (different angle, different colors...)
I choose mode Negation.

ab07.jpg 

09. On the both layers, apply a gradient blur, see the setting on the screenshot:
ab08.jpg

10. :LayersMergeLayerDown: Merge down the two layers.

11. :LayersDuplicateLayer: Duplicate the new layer.

12. On the top layer, apply the motion sharpen effect: angle:0, centered, mode lighten, distance:100
ab09.jpg

13. On the top layer again, adjustment, :AutoLevel: autolevel.
ab10.jpg

14. :LayersDuplicateLayer: Duplicate the top layer and :LayersFlipHorizontal: flip it horizontally, press F4 :LayersLayerProperties: and choose a blend mode (Lighten)
ab11.jpg

15. :LayersMergeLayerDown: Merge down the two top layers.

16. On the top layer again, adjustment, :AutoLevel: autolevel.
ab12.jpg

17. On the top layer again, press F4 :LayersLayerProperties: and choose a blend mode (Screen)
ab12b.jpg

18. :WindowColors: Choose two colors : primary:yellow, secondary:red :LayersAddNewLayer: Add a new layer on the top,. Draw a radial gradient :RadialGradient:. ab13.jpg

19. On the top layer, press F4 :LayersLayerProperties:, choose a blend mode (Overlay) and set the opacity to 120.
ab14.jpg

20. :WindowColors: Choose the default colors : primary:black, secondary:white :LayersAddNewLayer: Add a new layer on the top. Effect / Render / Clouds pdn4icons_pdn4icons.CloudsEffect.png (with defaults).
ab15.jpg

21. On the top layer (clouds), apply a gradient blur, see the setting on the screenshot:
ab16.jpg

22. Bulge Effect :BulgeEffect: amount: -200, repeat it one more time : [Ctrl] + F

ab17.jpg

23. On the top layer, press F4 :LayersLayerProperties:, choose a blend mode (Darken) and set the opacity to 100.
ab18.jpg

24. Now this is the magic moment. pdn4icons_pdn4icons.MenuImageFlattenIcon.png Flatten the image. And adjustment, :AutoLevel: autolevel.
ab19.jpg

25. You could go on like this: duplicate, distort, blend, add few colors, etc... and/or other effects (water reflection, rect to polar, polar to rect, etc)
ab20.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

<3 @MadJik!

You're like a surprise egg. :trophy: I will try in the next days. Thank you so much for your effort. :coffee: :cake:

Sorry! I'll be back tomorrow to give you a reputation.

Edited by Seerose

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

@MadJik ...this is such an interesting way to achieve abstract art!   I had fun doing this!  Cheers and thank you!   :beer:   :D

abstractart.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, welshblue said:

I like abstracts ... very therapeutic

madjik_abstract.jpg

I like black/dark gradients and orange. This image doesn't seem to be issued from this tutorial. And I like this. I like to show you some doors and you open one I never think about to create such piece...