Joshua Lamusga

Brush Factory v1.8 (Dec 10th, 2018)

OK, I just used Brush Factory again, just now, a bit more extensively. It works really well under 96 dpi settings with the increased brush sizes using hi resolution brushes. No lagging that I noticed. When using Brush Factory in 300dpi settings, it still works nice, no lag issues, but the brush size is still really small. The Jitter tab works great, too. I did notice it's a bit quirky in 300 dpi settings to decrease or increase the size of the canvas, but not much. The mouse scrolling doesn't work in 300 dpi like it does in 96 dpi, and I'm with Toe Head about enlarging and decreasing the canvas that way, because it makes it easy to get it adjusted quickly the way you need it without the canvas slider tab being way too sensitive and quick to make the canvas too big or too small. In 300 dpi settings, having to use the tab thing to change the size of the canvas can drive you a bit nutty. It goes too fast and is too big or too small and the mouse center scroll button no longer works to make the canvas bigger or smaller, at least it didn't for me. HOWEVER, I found a way that does it smoothly. If you click and hold the mouse button down, placing the mouse pointer just to the right of that adjustable slider tab, and slide your mouse pointer NOT directly on the slider tab button itself, you can adjust the canvas smoothly that way. Just don't actually click on and hold the slider tab button itself.

If you can make the brushes larger for those using 300 dpi settings (often used for professional printing purposes), since many of mine are hi res brushes, that would be very helpful.

Having said that, and I'm not sure about how others use it, but maybe you could create an alternative Hi Res Brush Factory with a much more increased brush size and completely get rid of the "Color" tab at the top, next to the Jitter tab. I found no reason to use it when playing with it. Of course, maybe it's something important to other users, but for me it was not even needed to make sure I get specific colors using the color palette in or out of Brush Factory.

I hope this has helped.

1 hour ago, ScrapbookWithPDN said:

it's a bit quirky in 300 dpi

I never tested it at 300 dpi and I hear that the framework I use to display the plugin window and all its controls has a lot of DPI scaling issues because DPI was more of an afterthought in the Winforms library. I'm actually not sure how to test at 300 dpi.

Control + Mouse Wheel is the shortcut for zooming in and out, same as PDN itself. You're not suggesting this doesn't work, right? It shouldn't depend on DPI.

You can also press tab a couple times so the canvas zoom slider is active, then use arrow keys or Ctrl + arrow keys to adjust it.

Unrelated side notes: Can't get rid of Color behaviors; I use it in seriousness for e.g. variation in grass color. Fair bet others find it useful. If I made brushes much larger, they would lag so badly that drawing with them would become unbearable and you'd only be able to manage single-clicking.

On 12/11/2016 at 2:20 AM, Eli said:

A mouse speed controller, if I move the mouse too slow the brush will be recreated too many times.

Well, it's been two years but yeah, I've got a solution. Any change to drawBrush() is slow to ensure functionality still works, so I'll have to finish testing tomorrow, but results are positive and I only have obscure edge cases left to test or optimize.

Version 1.8 released

The only change here is mouse speed control, which has a property called brush density and can be changed under the tab called other. It's set to 10 by default, meaning the image is repeated at every 1/10 the width of the actual brush. You can set it to 0 to turn it off and draw like you used to. It's a lot smoother and nicer for the most part, but when you're using large brushes, a really high density, and/or working on a large image, it may create angular lines. So remember you can turn it off if you need to.

I tested all the settings. When turned on with minimum draw distance, the effect is that it draws in line segments at a time. With small brush sizes and horz/vert spray, it has an interesting comb effect. Report bugs and other things. If you find it lags too often, maybe I'll have it off by default.

Edited by Joshua Lamusga
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, that happened too. Didn't mean to snub you null54. I was again running short on time because it's during the work week; I didn't even update the main picture showing the tabs yet, so I missed that change.

Edited by Joshua Lamusga