How to Install Plugins ×

Dynamic Draw v3.3 (7/3/22)

NinthDesertDude

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Palomo said:

I tried to install the plugin, but I can't.

Hello @Palomo and welcome to the forum :)

Do you know that you have to:

1.  Click on the Download Dynamic Draw v3 on the first page of this thread.

2.  Check your download folder.

3.  Open the contents of the Zip.

4.  Put all three of the un-zipped contents into the Paint.net Effects file, found here: This PC > OS(C:) > Program Files > paint.net >  Effects.

5.  Open Paint.net and find it under the Tools option.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Still broken. I have tried both putting the folder with all 3 files into Effects and putting the 3 files into Effects directly (without the folder). Both results in a plugin error, and I don't even have the Tools tab (the plugin simply never loads).
With files in the subfolder:
C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\DynamicDraw\DynamicDraw.dll, version 3.0.0.15 - Pastebin.com

With the files directly in Effects:
C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\DynamicDraw.dll, version 3.0.0.15319Syste - Pastebin.com

I even tried putting the entire zipped file into Effects! This... would obviously lead to an error, but I figured I might as well, because random things that shouldn't work sometimes just do! It... didn't:
C:\Program Files\paint.net\PaintDotNet.Effects.dll, version 4.300.7934.42555 - Pastebin.com

Well, it seems I had an update to install, and that seems to have fixed it. Odd thing is, Paint.Net usually pops up a big thing every time I start it when there is a new update to install, asking me to update or wait until I restart the program. I never did this today (or even over the last week or so). I had to manually check for updates.

Edited by BobGrey

Not sure how double-posts are moderated, but this one is more of a question and possible suggestion:
Is it possible to disable aliasing for these brushes? A project I am working on requires very specific colors, and aliasing (blending into nearby pixels) will cause the system I am making images for to crash. If this is not possible, this would be a very handy feature to have.

1 hour ago, BobGrey said:

Still broken. I have tried both putting the folder with all 3 files into Effects and putting the 3 files into Effects directly (without the folder). Both results in a plugin error, and I don't even have the Tools tab (the plugin simply never loads).
With files in the subfolder:
C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\DynamicDraw\DynamicDraw.dll, version 3.0.0.15 - Pastebin.com

Are you up-to-date with the latest version of Paint.NET? Check the version in the top left corner of your screen.

He fixed it already (bottom of the same comment he wrote)

I'm testing to see what handles aliasing correctly. Size change, yes. Canvas rotation, yes. Actual brush rotation, no
Note that all the default brushes are antialiased. You can make a very quick black brush on a transparent canvas and import that, then you should be good to go at least for regular drawing with pressure sensitivity (if it works for you anyway).

I might update this in a second to fix rotation w/ aliasing so that it rotates aliased, if it doesn't look too awful. Hang tight

Edited by NinthDesertDude

5 minutes ago, NinthDesertDude said:

I didn't read far enough :) At least I was on the right track :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

I'm fine with it not looking the best. Each pixel represents a meter in the project I am working on, so odd shapes are inevitable. If I can still have it randomly rotate without pixels trying to go transparent or mix colors, it will work perfectly!

So, I will need to make or edit custom brushes? I began to suspect the "issue" was transparent brushes, so that makes sense. How does one make a custom brush? Is it possible to import photos hope brushes (there are a few I found that will be handy)

A

2 hours ago, BobGrey said:

How does one make a custom brush? Is it possible to import photos hope brushes (there are a few I found that will be handy)

Any image can be a brush, just make sure that the background is transparent. You can use Paint.NET to make your own brushes. Make sure to make your canvas the size of your largest brush size because the brushes don't scale up well. Add the brush to the brush plugin storage area. There are hundreds of brushes that can be located around the internet or that are part of your other design software packages. 

Edited by HyReZ

Okay...
What's a "brush plugin storage area"? I assume that was written first in a non-English language, then translated before posting? "Storage area" is probably supposed to simply say "folder", but what's a brush plugin? I though this plugin itself was a "brush plugin", but I haven't seen it generate new folders.

1 hour ago, BobGrey said:

I assume that was written first in a non-English language, then translated before posting?

There is no reason for your presumptuous assumptions! The creator of the DynamicDraw Plugin refers to the storage place for brushes a 'location'. Do you assume that he has issues with language also? I am beginning to think a few other people participating in this thread have issues that transcend language!😠

Edited by HyReZ

I'm having some trouble re-compiling the plugin to test changes today...it looks like there is a live issue upstream from Microsoft borking over the dependency version of System.Windows.Forms, causing it to complain about inconsistent targeting between version 6.0.0 and 6.0.2. There are two listed solutions and neither of them work for me. I'm going to turn off automatic updates for paint.net and start backing up entire copies of it; there's been 3 different times in the last year that something important broke and blocked my workflow with DynamicDraw. :/

36 minutes ago, NinthDesertDude said:

it looks like there is a live issue upstream from Microsoft borking over the dependency version of System.Windows.Forms, causing it to complain about inconsistent targeting between version 6.0.0 and 6.0.2

Wasn't that issue fixed in 6.0.3?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

If it was, paint.net's DLLs are not up-to-date with 6.0.3 yet, because the complaint is regarding PaintDotNet.Effects and PaintDotNet.Core

2 hours ago, HyReZ said:

There is no reason for your presumptuous assumptions! The creator of the DynamicDraw Plugin refers to the storage place for brushes a 'location'. Do you assume that he has issues with language also? I am beginning to think a few other people participating in this thread have issues that transcend language!😠

Very defensive...
I merely didn't understand what "storage location" referred to, as I have never once heard this term in relation to software or data, so I simply assumed it was a translation error. I know Google Translate is a common tool, but also results in many simple errors that can ultimately change the entire meaning of a sentence.
The original post has no mention of a folder where brushes are stored, nor does it have a github link (so I had no way of knowing further instructions were there), and the place it says to add your own brushes leads me to an interface where I can select a folder and/or file. This is a bit unconventional, so it slightly confused me. Usually, when a program asks me for a directory, I usually find it in a specific location rather creating a random one.
I never assumed anyone has issues with language, only that language is a naturally tricky thing that often leads to issues, especially in directions or instructions, so I simply figured this is what was happening. Not sure why you got so upset by a simple logical guess.

3 hours ago, NinthDesertDude said:

Please read the highly detailed instructions: https://github.com/NinthDesertDude/Dynamic-Draw/wiki/How-to-Use-Dynamic-Draw
They are comprehensive, and definitely English-first, so that should answer all future questions you have.

Thank you for the link. Turns out, this is the same link listed as "How to use..." in the original post, which I accidentally overlooked as it appeared to be part of a signature at the very bottom. I'll give this a read. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NinthDesertDude said:

I'm testing to see what handles aliasing correctly. Size change, yes. Canvas rotation, yes. Actual brush rotation, no
Note that all the default brushes are antialiased. You can make a very quick black brush on a transparent canvas and import that, then you should be good to go at least for regular drawing with pressure sensitivity (if it works for you anyway).

I might update this in a second to fix rotation w/ aliasing so that it rotates aliased, if it doesn't look too awful. Hang tight

Well, creating a custom brush didn't work. I've made a few brushes that are solid black on a perfectly transparent background (edited some heightmap brushes that were gradient white to a black background), and I still get grays along the edges.
I'm not using a tablet (I didn't even know Paint.Net was on tablets), and the only pressure settings I can find seem to be relating to tablets.
qNCQ7bH.png
0AVklzz.png

4 hours ago, BobGrey said:

Very defensive...
I get defensive when I run into prejudgmental people!
I merely didn't understand what "storage location" referred to,

Next time ask for clarification before jumping to erroneous conclusions! 
Your attempt at 'simple logic' was a total failure and completely unnecessary.
😠

Edited by HyReZ

Don't know whether this will be helpful.

Make a New Layer, then copy image.
Ctrl Shift C

Open Dynamic Draw, right-click the canvas and choose to have clipboard as background.
Apply the brush, then OK.

Duplicate and merge the brush layer several times until all partially transparent pixels become fully opaque.

59 minutes ago, ardneh said:

Duplicate and merge the brush layer several times until all partially transparent pixels become fully opaque.

Perhaps Alpha-threshold could help with that?  (Though I'm a bit confused as to exactly what @BobGrey is trying to achieve).

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

@Red ochre

I see the anti-aliasing Dynamic draw is rendering. @BobGrey is identifying a minor glitch with the plugin. @NinthDesertDude is having issues with newer versions of Paint.Net trying to recompile his plugin with attempted fixes.

@BobGreyThere are a few workarounds with the antialiasing. You could use Transparency to make them all opaque or select the center of your stamped image with magic wand at %20, invert selection and press delete to get clean edges. Most of the brushes I have downloaded have antialiasing built into them, so it has never been an issue for me. Hope this helps :)

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

Well, creating a custom brush didn't work.

Worked for me last night. Open paint.net, press Ctrl+A and delete. Switch to the pencil tool, draw anything. Crop. Save. Open DynamicDraw, click Add Brush Images. Locate the saved file wherever you put it. It will be free of antialiasing as long as smoothing mode is jagged (which is default). Rotation will not be free of antialiasing at the moment.

the only pressure settings I can find seem to be relating to tablets

This is true. I'm not sure what you're getting at; maybe you're thinking pressure = hard edge? It wouldn't be the case if so.