Sign in to follow this  
terrycain

How to make a wicked map [warning image heavy]

terrycain    0

Well heres a tutorial adapted from a photoshopt tutorial and as you've probbaly guessed were going to make a map...

EDIT: There are now two ways for doing step 3, thanks to PeaceHeather

Heres the final product:

finalovt.png

Step 1

Open up a new image :FileNew: 800x600

Step 2

Now goto Effects => Render => Clouds

• [*:1ffbyyyh]Scale 370
    [*:1ffbyyyh]Roughness 0.50
    [*:1ffbyyyh]Blend Mode Normal

clouds1e.gif

Step 3 Way 1

Goto Adjustments => Posterize

• [*:1ffbyyyh]Red 2
    [*:1ffbyyyh]Green 2
    [*:1ffbyyyh]Blue 2

posturize.gif

Step 3 Way 2

Goto Effect => Colour => Threshold

Now you move the sliders to add or subtract land/sea

threshold.gif

You should now have a black and white map looking image

like this:

eg1.gif

Step 4

Use the Magic Wand Tool :MagicWandTool: with the flood mode set at global and tolarance at 0, select the white and delete it.

magicwand.gif

Step 5

Make a new layer :AddNewLayer: below the land and fill fill it with a dark brown colour (5C4D2B)

layers1.gif

Step 6

Now you will add a Radial Gradient to the dark brown background

the primary colour should be AB9E67

and the secondary colour should be 5C4D2B

If you wish you could hide the map layer (sorry about the image quality)

radialgradient.gif

Step 7

Now if you hid the map layer unhide it, then select it

now select the Paint Bucket :PaintBucketTool: turn the flood mode to global and fill the black with this dark brown colour 2A2415.

you should now have something like this

eg2.gif

Step 8 (optional)

Now in a new layer :AddNewLayer: which should be ontop of all layers you could add a compass if you do make sure its only white and transparent if you want a compass picture

just right click on this one and click Save Picture As...

compass.png

Put the compass at the bottom right and make the layers opacity 60

Step 9

Make a new layer :AddNewLayer: which should be ontop of all layers

Change you primary colour to AB9E67 and the secondary colour to 5C4D2B

Now goto Effects => Render => Clouds

• [*:1ffbyyyh]Scale 280
    [*:1ffbyyyh]Roughness 0.50
    [*:1ffbyyyh]Blend Mode Normal

clouds2s.gif

Now change the Layer Blending Mode to Colour Dodge

layers2.gif

Step 10

Now set your primary colour back to black

Make a new layer :AddNewLayer: which should be ontop of all layers

Now goto Effects => Render => Grid/Checkerboard Maker...

and use the following settings

grid.gif

Now change the Layer Opacityto 75

layers3x.gif

And you should be finished.

I'm over on CartographersGuild.com, a lot of people dedicated to mapmaking, and folks there use a lot of really heavy-duty software just to produce cloud-based maps. :mrgreen: I'm actually writing a tutorial myself that uses PDN exclusively and gets some pretty nifty results. (I'm having fun being the subversive PDN person on the forum, because so few people over there use it and there are like TWO tuts in the entire forum that rely on PDN as the main software.)

If I may, terrycain, another thing you can do is run Threshold to get your black-n-white layer, and use the sliders to adjust the boundaries for your ocean/coastline. You can also run Alpha Mask to get the transparency you're after - if you get backwards results (ie land where you wanted ocean), you just Undo, Invert Colors (CTRL-Shift-I), and then run Alpha Mask again.

I don't want to hijack this thread, because terrycain's map has a very different style from mine and I like it, especially the antique feel of it. Those browns are gorgeous, dude. But if people are interested, I can post my tutorial here as well as over on CG once it's finished.

Cheers!

Heather

EDIT: *smacks forehead* You just taught me what Global mode is for, and saved me half a dozen rounds of Select - Fill - Rinse - Repeat. Sometimes, I am such a goober. :wink:

terrycain    0

Thanks for the tips especially about the alpha mask and the threshold tip, if you dont mind i'll update my tutorial to incorporate the thing about the threshold, but i think i'll keep the bit about deleting the white because it reminds people what teh global option does.

LFC4EVER    4

This is a nice tutorial. Simple, but great result. Nice job. ;)

You can also whack the contrast up to maximum in Brightness/Contrast (CTRL + SHIFT + C), to achieve a similar posterize/threshold effect. Threshold is more flexible though.

Boude    2

As another way to do step 3 you can use brightness/constrast and set constrast to 100, this way you don't have to download any plug-ins.

map.png

haha, it's 3 different tutorials in 1 picture... the edging on the map, the texture on the map, and the actual map are all different tutorials I followed...

EDIT:

map2.png

a simpler map, without all of the other stuff and a frame...

Sign in to follow this