Image Umbrella: Realistic Images

david.atwell

Here is the reworked image.

th_TheChamberAtNight.png

Where to start....Do you mind if I put some notes on your image, a picture is worth a thousand words, you know? :wink:

Uh Oh ! Do you think you'll have enough room? :lol: Yes, please do. I would appreciate your observations and comments !

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

th_TheChamberAtNight.png

Where to start....Do you mind if I put some notes on your image, a picture is worth a thousand words, you know? :wink:

Uh Oh ! Do you think you'll have enough room? :lol: Yes, please do. I would appreciate your observations and comments !

th_TheChamberAtNight.png

Right side of the flag looks a little stiff, don't you think? A little distort would fix it right up.

Also the clouds behind the flag, can clearly see a black border between the yellow and blue clouds.

Do be afraid to blend them together, many things don't line up in nature.

You're right about the flag, Ash. I wasn't happy with that right side but I had saved it in such a way that I'd have to recreate the flag before applying a changed displacement map to fix up that edge. But, a little twist and a little power stretch helped a bit. (I feel like I'm playing chess in thinking several moves ahead of how to save a project so that it can be altered again.) I also added some more blue cloud to take care of that rather obvious dividing line between blue and yellow.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p109 ... roject.png

@Possum - I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with Ash's comments/suggestions. With some of the veteran artists here, I feel like we're in a master's class. :)

galactic_military_sig2.png

Right side of the flag looks a little stiff, don't you think? A little distort would fix it right up.

Also the clouds behind the flag, can clearly see a black border between the yellow and blue clouds.

You're right about the flag, Ash. I wasn't happy with that right side but I had saved it in such a way that I'd have to recreate the flag before applying a changed displacement map to fix up that edge. But, a little twist and a little power stretch helped a bit. (I feel like I'm playing chess in thinking several moves ahead of how to save a project so that it can be altered again.) I also added some more blue cloud to take care of that rather obvious dividing line between blue and yellow.

@Possum - I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with Ash's comments/suggestions. With some of the veteran artists here, I feel like we're in a master's class. :)

@ Xander_Lyon Very nice job on the flag. It is improved. I know what you mean about planning. You'll get there. Sometimes I make parts of the image outside of the main image so if I need to I can go back to that individual piece and make changes and then put it back into the main image. Also,on larger works, I will save a backup of the image at certain phases so I can go back in time to an earlier phase of the image. Use as many layers as it takes, especially in the more complicated pieces, just remember to name the layers. :lol: One final thing that I have learned to do is to flatten the image, copy and past to a new image and then undo the flatten and save the original image in it's final stage. I save the .pdn files in a separate folder from the final .png.

@ Xander_Lyon Very nice job on the flag. It is improved. I know what you mean about planning. You'll get there. Sometimes I make parts of the image outside of the main image so if I need to I can go back to that individual piece and make changes and then put it back into the main image. Also,on larger works, I will save a backup of the image at certain phases so I can go back in time to an earlier phase of the image. Use as many layers as it takes, especially in the more complicated pieces, just remember to name the layers. :lol: One final thing that I have learned to do is to flatten the image, copy and past to a new image and then undo the flatten and save the original image in it's final stage. I save the .pdn files in a separate folder from the final .png.

I've been following at least one of your steps, as far as saving a .pdn file alongside the final .png. Part of the purpose of this forum (most of it for me) seems to be displaying, getting the critique, then fixing it again. I think I will soon have to start saving layers in different pictures in both forms so I can go back to earlier work out of order. I'm sure everyone wishes each layer had its own history so you wouldn't have to erase recent work to find older bits. :) But, that's why you save individual layers separately, right? :) Oh, YOU, sir, are the reason I planted my flag on the hull of a ship out in space, by the way. I was all proud of my little flag with the shapely knob on top and all and was about to post when I saw your recent grand piece. That's good, though, feeling that pressure to step it up. This is my first piece with an actual background other than just some gradients. (And I had an idea if you still haven't found a fix for your spider shadow-on-the-wall from the first spider-bot picture you submitted. Set the spider's shadow so that it moves past the wall, so to speak. Then, select the part of the shadow that crosses on to the wall and oblique it the opposite direction of the initial shadow until it's parallel to the wall . . . but looking back at your original picture, the problem was that the shadow didn't connect to the spider. So I came up with a solution to a problem that didn't exist. Oh well. )

Finally, since I didn't say it before, thanks to Wither for the "polished spacescape" tutorial (which introduced me to his feathered brushes technique) and to BleekII and Drew for the flowing flag technique.

I've been following at least one of your steps, as far as saving a .pdn file alongside the final .png. Part of the purpose of this forum (most of it for me) seems to be displaying, getting the critique, then fixing it again. I think I will soon have to start saving layers in different pictures in both forms so I can go back to earlier work out of order. I'm sure everyone wishes each layer had its own history so you wouldn't have to erase recent work to find older bits. :) But, that's why you save individual layers separately, right? :) Oh, YOU, sir, are the reason I planted my flag on the hull of a ship out in space, by the way. I was all proud of my little flag with the shapely knob on top and all and was about to post when I saw your recent grand piece. That's good, though, feeling that pressure to step it up. This is my first piece with an actual background other than just some gradients. (And I had an idea if you still haven't found a fix for your spider shadow-on-the-wall from the first spider-bot picture you submitted. Set the spider's shadow so that it moves past the wall, so to speak. Then, select the part of the shadow that crosses on to the wall and oblique it the opposite direction of the initial shadow until it's parallel to the wall . . . but looking back at your original picture, the problem was that the shadow didn't connect to the spider. So I came up with a solution to a problem that didn't exist. Oh well. )

Finally, since I didn't say it before, thanks to Wither for the "polished spacescape" tutorial (which introduced me to his feathered brushes technique) and to BleekII and Drew for the flowing flag technique.

Beautiful work here, however there are a couple of problems with the lighting and shading. The silver spiders look as if you just applied gradients with no regard to the light coming from the moon. For example, on the back part of the silver spiders, it is dark on top and light on the bottom, but on the front part, it is light on top and dark on the bottom. Kinda doesn't make sense at that angle. The perspective could use some work as well.

But other than those issues, it looks great. I especially love how you did the folds on the curtains.

Thanks. The silver spiders were originally black but were too dark for the floor and didn't look right so I inverted the colors and changed the luminosity with curves and made them silver-ish. I liked the way they looked but I see your point. I tried to change them by adding a gradient over the black spot. But at this point there is not much I can do other than to replace them altogether. I tried other colors but they just didn't look right with the other parts of the image. What part of the perspective is wrong? I thought I did a pretty good job in getting things to line up. That wasn't easy because almost everything is on a separate layer, the walls, each piece of trim, each spider, even the shadows. After reading some comments in my gallery I made some changes and reduced the lighting in the room and changed the reflections and added more shadows. Here is the reworked image.

TheChamberAtNight.png

This is much improved over the original. With a little more work on the floor reflections I'd say it would be ready for the galleria.

Beautiful work here, however there are a couple of problems with the lighting and shading. The silver spiders look as if you just applied gradients with no regard to the light coming from the moon. For example, on the back part of the silver spiders, it is dark on top and light on the bottom, but on the front part, it is light on top and dark on the bottom. Kinda doesn't make sense at that angle. The perspective could use some work as well.

But other than those issues, it looks great. I especially love how you did the folds on the curtains.

Thanks. The silver spiders were originally black but were too dark for the floor and didn't look right so I inverted the colors and changed the luminosity with curves and made them silver-ish. I liked the way they looked but I see your point. I tried to change them by adding a gradient over the black spot. But at this point there is not much I can do other than to replace them altogether. I tried other colors but they just didn't look right with the other parts of the image. What part of the perspective is wrong? I thought I did a pretty good job in getting things to line up. That wasn't easy because almost everything is on a separate layer, the walls, each piece of trim, each spider, even the shadows. After reading some comments in my gallery I made some changes and reduced the lighting in the room and changed the reflections and added more shadows. Here is the reworked image.

TheChamberAtNight.png

This is much improved over the original. With a little more work on the floor reflections I'd say it would be ready for the galleria.

TheChamberAtNight.png

TheChamberAtNight.png

th_TheChamberAtNight.png

Sorryz... :P These are the main issues I see right away. Let me know if I didn't make it clear or you don't understand.

47ffdb86.jpg

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

th_TheChamberAtNight.png

Sorryz... :P These are the main issues I see right away. Let me know if I didn't make it clear or you don't understand.

47ffdb86.jpg

th_TheChamberAtNight.png

47ffdb86.jpg

th_TheChamberAtNight.png

47ffdb86.jpg

:shock: :D

Working on it. I may have questions. :wink:

:shock: :D

Working on it. I may have questions. :wink: