Image Umbrella: Abstract Images

david.atwell

Don't know what to make of the fish...it looks great! XD Did you have to draw the scales yourself, or did you come up with an easy shortcut? (I've been wondering how to make scales like that for a while myself)

Seahorse: love the color scheme, but it is difficult to see. Kudos to seahorse on becoming a master of camouflage

That eye on the nautilus thing is creeping me out.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/116/7/b/despondence_by_agentbunni-d3ez9td.png

Another Apophysis render. I call it "Despondence"...don't ask why

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Super awesome image! Love the colours, the focus & the text. You did a fabulous job with this one. Very fitting name.

On my monitor the Seahorse is much easier to see but I've noticed that on some others it is really hard to see.

Why does the Nautilus eye creep you out? Is it the direct & reproaching stare? I agree that the eye is unnerving. The Great Barrier Reef suffered a lot of damage in the last few months but it has been in danger now for many years from humankind's unkindness to nature.

The fish, yes, each scale was done individually with the line tool. I don't know of an easier or satisfactory faster way of doing it.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome done PdNNoob how did you make the line seperating a world without and bunnies? looks awesome

here are a few of my best:

http://imageshack.us...ctmechanic.png/

http://imageshack.us...0/orangegr.png/

http://imageshack.us...tcolorfull.png/

cheers

Edited by Teknight

teknightsignb.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery

Today is a gift.

So go use Paint.Net before it's to late!

• 2 weeks later...

This makes my imagination working, trying to find flowers, dragons, parts of buildings...

I can recognize some effects like dent, tiles, polar inversion... but the way everything is mixed is really amazing.

Great work!

I agree! Wonderful! Just love the colours too.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

• 2 weeks later...

th_oilyabstract.png

This is an amazing piece. I agree with barbieq25 about it being dark yet beautiful. :) I would definitely enjoy a tutorial for this.

========================================================

@Xhin:

That piece is awesome. I love how you blended so many textures, colors, and effects. Keep up the good work

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer." -Ralph Waldo Emmerson

"A single enduring statement can grant immortality." -Author Unknown (This is what we call "Irony")

new_signature_by_falltodarkness-d3i6it7.jpg

Going back to the 500x500. Gonn be creating a shizton more of these =D!

Also, I have really busy lately with school, 3D modeling and animation, life, my long but recently reborn Battlefield addcition, girls >.>, computer engineering camp, and putting together my new gaming rig =DD, here are the specs:

-AMD Phenom 2 quad core overclocked to 4ghz

-XFX Radeon 69502gb thats going to be flashed to 6970 (maybe two of these for crossfire)

-1tb harddrive

-21'' 1920x1080 2ms HD screen

-Antec 300 case

-ASUS mobo

-8gb of ram

-20 foot CAT7 cable<

-multiple games from Steam

-MY FAV Cinema 4D =DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Thats pretty much everything

i5ZOM.png

u6hZo.jpg

1oDLn.png

Edited by Tiharo

pLzOv.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is my first go in this umbrella and my first real try at abstract. Looking through these pages I am seeing some amazing images. I hope my work fits in.

Mostly created with Madjic's magic plug-ins

Xhin, a great outcome! I really like the lightningy/glowy effect & the water. Great choice of main colours. Reminds me of those wonderful tie-die T=shirts we used to have.

Dug, these abstracts are really great. The first one is my favourite because I love all of the layers & the shapes. Really cool!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

The lightning effect's just 1) render random lines (size: 1-6, random alpha channel, render curves) 2) yellow drop shadow 3) blue/orange/red/whatever works drop shadow 4) dents at high scale, low refraction, ~40 roughness. No point in even making a tut for it.

Dug, those are seriously awesome. I like your choice of colors and especially the textures/shapes used. It looks like you're using a polar inversion with clamping for some of the shapes; correct me if I'm wrong :P

xhin.png

Cheers BBQ. I have tried various ways with just using different plug-ins and no real outcome in mind but never knew when to stop.I need to have an image in my mind that way it's not so frustrating and I know when to stop. :)

Thank you for the comments Xhin,there is a bit of P.I.in there,also S3D,sine wave and tube oblique, plug-ins that just reshape not totally distort.Like yourself I am trying to produce something a bit different. ;)

Xhin, I can hardly ever remember what I have done in an image let alone be able to write a tute on it. Good on you :coffee:

Greg, I really like the snow image. Spot on with the text. Well done! The lizard one is pretty good too. I can see quite a few lizards in there. Great colours for the image as well. Good to see you having fun with PDN & hope we see a lot more from you.

th_Watchingoveryou.png

Watching Over You, devastated after my step-mum died.

th_FlameTrees.png

Flame Trees, for my step-mum, Hazel.

These reflect the anger, frustration & disillusionment that I have felt for the last few weeks.

th_FracturedFairytale.png

Fractured Fairytale

th_MeltdownImminent.png

Meltdown Imminent

th_ShuttheDoor.png

Shut the Door

th_Thorne.png

Thorne

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

I need to have an image in my mind that way it's not so frustrating and I know when to stop.

Eh, I usually don't know what I'm going to make until I actually make it. It's good to experiment around until you see a style you like, and then work on getting back to that style. That keeps you from using too many effects without limiting your creativity.

Like yourself I am trying to produce something a bit different. ;)

Yeah, I like what you have so far, and it seems to match your other art as well. Sort of an impressionistic abstract or something. I like the way the colors are shaded, so it looks like they're all mutually burning each other. I think they would look better though if you avoided a certain spectrum of colors, and used a couple of spectrums to highlight/burn instead of having everything everywhere.

@Gregg: Winter snow and Lizard Skin look nice. They remind me a lot of some of my early abstracts. You're off to a good start :)

Xhin, I can hardly ever remember what I have done in an image let alone be able to write a tute on it. Good on you

Well, I try to give myself techniques/styles to use later. But yeah, I know how it is to have this awesome picture and not remember how you got there too.

@Barbieq: Hey! I've seen that eye before! :P

It's good that you can use your drawings to channel your feelings. A lot of these are extremely beautiful, and like, perfect stylistically. Very good work.

xhin.png

Greg, I do like the fire & ice one esp how the orange & red is blended if you look closer, but orange somehow is not my thing, esp at the moment. Odd how colours can appeal depending on our mood or mindset. I used mood once before & the person thought I was being temperamental.

My first images in PDN were so bad that I scrapped them without saving, so you are doing well. It takes time & each one of us takes the journey at a different pace.

Xhin, yep, that eye, like many artists of old, is repeated in many of my images. It has a lot of symbolic meaning to me. It is also one of the things I love about PDN - you can reuse, rework & generally recycle. PDN is envirnmentally friendly! :lol:

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Water and Fire

Not my thing. I think the contrast of the two colors (along with no gradient or blur between them) and the saturation on them is a bit much. I do like the softer highlight colors; the blue in the cyan and the yellow in the orange is quite nice.

Xhin, yep, that eye, like many artists of old, is repeated in many of my images. It has a lot of symbolic meaning to me. It is also one of the things I love about PDN - you can reuse, rework & generally recycle.

Yeah, I have a whole folder of things of things I recycle; although lately I've been making new stuff each time because I'm working with different styles and especially different sizes (50x50 images don't really scale up to 20"x30" drawings :P)

xhin.png

WOW! Greg, you sure have been busy! I like them all but the Smooth Moments one would be my least favourite. Twisted Love is my most favourite.

Xhin, I like the colours you've used. Looks like the Thorne image inspired you too as I see a starry background peeking through. Very effective.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012