Discussion-PDN free-handing Drawing Contest!Topic Updated!

Pyjo, i apreciate all the help from you. im sorry i havent been on the last day or so cus computer issues, im back up and running now though.

Anyhow, I need at least a paper model, to be able to see/take the dimension properly, using my ruller, on my desktop...

Or I will first hand-draw on a paper (with mm grid) to find the shape I want to have, then report it in PDN.

These technics are different methods for the same result somehow...

I'm not the owner of this constest, so I can only suggest rules. However my suggestion is that ANY pre-existent digital model should be avoided. In a free-handing drawing your hand should be free from the need of tightly following a model. You can make a pixel-by-pixel copy of a digital photo using only the color picker and the pencil tool, but this is a very boring activity that has nothing to do with creativity and artistic flair. Applying a grid on a photo and copying it in PdN is only a smarter way to do basically the same thing: the creative process remains at a very low level and, above all, the hand is not "free" as the title of the contest requires. (This doesn't mean that the ability of replicating an existing picture in PdN is not valuable at all. There may be a contest in which a picture is proposed and all participants try to rebuild it in PdN).

I actually think that also every kind of paper-based 2d models should be avoided, and only real-world 3d object should possibly be used as a model: evaluating proportions and creating the 2d artwork from the 3d model is up to the dot-net-painter ability. I know however that this rule will be considered too restrictive by most PdN users, and it in not realistic since it cannot be enforced in any way.

I therefore whish to suggest another way for managing this contest. After the deadline and before voting, participants will post some details about the techniques they used and publish some screenshots of the key points of their work-in-progress (every participant is implicitly assumed to be honest, of course). Then the voting process will take into account both the final result and the creativity expressed in the development of the picture.

I'm working on a project for this contest, but unfortunately I have very little time to spent with PdN this week. I hope to succeed in posting my picture before the deadline so that I'll have the chance to better explain what I mean with these proposed rules.

Bye

Pyjo.

Great idea pyjo, unfortuantly some people have already submitted for this contest so i think this rule would have to start on the next round, if its cool with you maybe i could send you a PM and you could help me better right these rules for the next contest round so people arent so confused.

i agree that you should not be able to use any pre-existent model im going to add that to the rules to make sure its heard. thanks again pjyo!

japannese.jpg

Support Our Troops, End The War

Well, if you take a look at the other contests (SotW, MSC, Representation, etc) you'll see that their contest threads are all sticky'd, but the discussion threads are not. This one's contest thread is sticky'd; I don't see a need for the discussion thread to be, too. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Well, if you take a look at the other contests (SotW, MSC, Representation, etc) you'll see that their contest threads are all sticky'd, but the discussion threads are not. This one's contest thread is sticky'd; I don't see a need for the discussion thread to be, too. :-)

Okay david, thank you. My only question is will it get locked if i bring it back to life? for instance if it gets bumped down to say the third page and i bring it back up to the first page?

japannese.jpg

Okay david, thank you. My only question is will it get locked if i bring it back to life? for instance if it gets bumped down to say the third page and i bring it back up to the first page?

If it's down to the 3rd page, that means noboby cares anymore and time to start a different contest.

k.digennaro, do you mind not multiposting?

Yes, try not to do that.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

sorry about the multi posting, i need to work on that haha, i usually make a new post when its a different topic, or a different day... :oops:

just a reminder the contest ends on the 24th your entry must be in before the 25th, so any time before midnight on the 24th you can enter

japannese.jpg

I'd suggest against a poll; it provides too much opportunity for a "mob" effect. I suggest PMs - that's how CMD handles the voting for the SotW contest.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

jerk for this time you can change it, but in the future that will not be allowed, the reasoning for allowing you to edit it is simply because the rules were not clear and you were one of the first to enter.

the voting is approaching quickly, i edited the contest rules in the entry thread adding what i thought would be the best way to do the voting for this contest, please let me know your thoughts on this.

thanks

kevin

japannese.jpg

just remember today and tomorrow are the last days you can submit an entry. the voting will then start the 25th. you get two votes a piece, you must vote for two images(first and second favorites). you may not vote for yourself. if the voting rules are broken the votes simply won't count. Pm your votes to me (k.digennaro)

Thanks

Kevin

japannese.jpg

Really more of a joke than an actual entry. This is the extent of my pixel art. :)

th_bicycledude.gif

:shock: All my five are belong to this!

Well, not really. >_>

---

here's the extent of my freehand drawing abilities... which are next to null.

th_carthing.jpg

pyjo's entry makes me feel small and insignificant when I gaze upon its semi-perfection. :shock:

voting open!

How do you vote?

If I were you I would edit your first post to include all the entries and a poll to vote for one. That way it would be easy to vote.

im sorry i didnt see your post.

this is simply the discussion, the entry forum is sticked, i talked with some people about a poll and we decided against it.

http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22117

Votes are in!! check out ^^ scroll to the bottom. Congratulations Pyjo!!!

^^ i have decided that the winner of the contest will get to choose the topic for the next contest, if i dont get a reply from pyjo in a couple days i will post here and we will talk about the topic.

(^leme know if thats a good idea, it made sense to me)

japannese.jpg