PDN Documentation Feedback -- Menu and UI Demonstrations

Hello. I was exploring the Paint.net Documentation again. And so, I have some more feedback. Please don't take this the wrong way or negatively. :)

Feed Back:

1) I'm sorry, but I'm not adjusting to the "auto" moving layout of the new documentation's super smooth and slidy menu. I liked the classic collapsible tree better.

-- The new Menu looks great, and feels modern, and doesn't feel outdated, however, the current moving menu sometimes confuses me as things move on me too much.

-- I also liked how before I could have a lot expanded all at the same time, sort of letting me see an overview outline of everything.

-- I was also able to compare sub-categories easier before, and toggle more quickly between pages too. 

-- The new menu is also rather big, it seems like it would be great for touch devices, however, on my desktop, I think a classic tree with simply larger font would have been easier to work with.

Don't get me wrong, I think you guys did do an amazing job on everything, and it all looks great, but sometimes I like bland and simplicity more than trendy, and bland sometimes is easier for me to send new users to, in hopes they won't be confused. New users, there's a big variety, and I want to ease their confusion and help them learn, and so, they are part of the reason that I'm giving feedback.

2) I have been wanting to link some people to the documentation, but then I realize the documentation doesn't show or explain what I hope for it to.

The example pictures for the adjustments and effects are really nice, but I wish there were User Interface examples for more of the effects, and a couple more for the adjustments.

Most of the adjustments and effects are pretty easy and straight forward, however, when I want to point someone to where they can learn about an adjustment or effect, I sometimes expect there will be a UI, and the UI demonstrated for the newbie, so that they can see and understand things better.

I don't know how much of paint.net is supposed to be a "use it to learn it" type of software, compared to having everything explained in various "How To" demonstrations, but I do wish some areas had more "How To" with UI images.

Yes, a lot of UIs do feel "self explanatory" to me personally, but then I have to think how "self explanatory" are things for new users? That's when I wonder how much I'm overestimating or underestimating a new user's perspective of things.

Here are a few examples of things that I would like to see UIs for in the documentation.

Adjustments...

Brightness/Contrast and Hue/Saturation I think could use UI demonstrations.

Effects...

For the effects, I found myself wanting UI explanations for most effects that had three or more settings and/or sliders, whether for my own learning reasons or because I wanted to show someone else.

Some of these effects would be glow, soften portrait, and dents. These are some of the best effects paint.net has, I would like new users to be able to know these hidden gems better.

Thank you for your time and effort! I do appreciate all the work you all put into everything.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

I hear what you're saying about the menu. Rick had similar concerns when I first showed it to him. In the end we decided that it was more important to get the info out there than spend more time fine-tuning the layout.

I have begun an overhaul of the menus.

First iteration sees the menu transformed from left sidebar to horizontal. I believe this makes more sense as the height of the stacked left menu is/was a problem. It also simplifies the layout a great deal.

RE: Content.

I'm happy to continue revising and adding to the content. Your suggestions are welcomed - even though it means a lot of extra work :(;)

Thank you for taking the time to read my feed back.

If I may, I would like to put a little more emphasis on what I did like about the old menu.

I mentioned previously, "I also liked how before I could have a lot expanded all at the same time, sort of letting me see an overview outline of everything."

The old menu let you have everything laid out right in front of you, it was surprisingly handy. Having a map of the documentation was great. If having things similar to the old menu wouldn't work anymore, then maybe a secondary navigation could be at the bottom of the page? Sort of like an index?

It's just an idea.

There is such an expanded menu built into each page - it forms the mobile (aka narrow screen) menu system.

Reduce your browser screen width (Firefox = Ctrl + Shift + M) until the main menu disappears and a three-bar icon appears in the page header. It's located in the top right corner of the screen and does not scroll with the page. Clicking the icon will show the expanded menu.

Once you see the expanded menu you'll understand why it's difficult to stack it vertically; it's something like 60 entries and the font has to be really small to get the list down to a manageable size. Vertical height was the reason I went with an 'accordion' style menu.

I have been wanting to link some people to the documentation, but then I realize the documentation doesn't show or explain what I hope for it to.

I had this happen to me again, this time I wanted to show someone the "tolerance" for the magic wand tool. But there was no picture of it in the documentation.

The Magic Wand page mentioned the fill tool, so I thought perhaps a tolerance image would be on the fill tools page, however, it wasn't. And actually, some of the fill tools new functions weren't mentioned either. Here is an old reference to The Paint.net 4.0 fill tool.

The magic wand page has example images showing the application of different tolerances.  Both Magic Wand and Paint Bucket have the tolerance explained in the text. I'm not going to make an image for every possible option/setting for every tool.

some of the fill tools new functions weren't mentioned either.

Apart from changing the color on the fly what isn't mentioned?

If there won't be images showing the toolbar for several tools then I guess never mind.  It's not that explanations are missing so much, it was images of the toolbars, or demonstration images, to go with the explanations. And also functionalities and features that are the same across multiple tools, like the little square box with arrows to move things, I like seeing that feature shown.

It would have been nice to see functionalities explained on each tool's page since not everyone is going to view the entire document, they might view only one page or another. So I thought for newbies it would have been helpful if each tool was explained individually, all of it's features, even if the features are already mentioned elsewhere in the documentation. Or, if each feature wouldn't be explained for each tool, then I thought some cross-linking might be good. For example, there are a lot of toolbar explanations on the toolbar page, so linking to that page might be sufficient.

I understand if adding such things would be way too much work, so I wasn't trying to expect the documentation to become that thorough. The tolerance bar, image/layer sampling, and the little square box with arrows tend to be things I want to reference and show people the most, so I guess those were the main things I had on mind and wanted to see on the Fill tool's page and Magic Wand tool's page.

As for the Fill tool and it's features...

It has the white square to move the fill around. (there is a tip about this, but no demonstration.)

The Fill tool has the sampling layer or sampling image in the tool bar (I re-checked the page just now, and it seems I overlooked the mention of this feature because you have the wrong icons shown. When I saw the bulls-eye and primary/secondary icons, I thought the explanations under those icons would explain the functionality I experience when I click those icons in paint.net for the Re-color tool.  But then it dawned on me that the Fill tool does not have the bulls-eye and primary/secondary color icons in it's toolbar, I verified this by going and looking in paint.net. So, I re-read the explanations under those icons, and then I realized that that's where the image/layer sampling modes are explained. Sorry! It was my own confusion!)

The Fill tool has the new live-functionality, for changing color, blending modes, moving the fill, unlimited undo, and then commit the changes, but those are new features for all of paint.net. For the Fill tool, you do have at least the blending mode drop down list and some icons, which are from the toolbar (Yay!), but then you don't have demonstration images. For the Fill tool, some places are explanations, some places show icons with explanations, some places show demonstration images, but not a lot of places have all of the above for a single feature. Which is fine and understandable, but perhaps cross-linking to where some features are explained and demonstrated would be ok? The blending modes are mostly the same as the layer blending modes, so maybe give a small comment and link to the blending modes page? And on the blending modes page, you can add links to the mentioned tools. (just some ideas.)

And, I was mistaken, I thought the tolerance adjustment was new to 4.0, but it's not, I just forgot about it in 3.0+. Tolerance was in the older versions of paint.net, what's new is how it functions though. But, that functionality is mostly the live-functionality.

So, I guess for the Fill tools new functions, they are actually just 4.0 new functions, many of which are the same for multiple tools.

The Fill tool is really cool, but I feel like it's potential isn't really brought out into the light. And although I personally think the Fill tool is cool, newbies tend to find it's way of functioning unusual compared to other programs, so I thought the documentation might help show people and give people understanding of it's good but unique functions as a whole.

Sorry, this ended up being longer reply than I intended. Thanks for your time!

Thanks Fuzzy.

I'm currently working on the website navigation. So please don't feel that your suggestions are being ignored. I DO appreciate hearing them.

Once we have the navigation & associated layout tweaks in place I'll begin reviewing the content. I have already flagged several of your suggestions for inclusion.

If working on website navigation, and perhaps The Rules, it would have saved me a great deal of frustration if the reference to the Search linked in those Rules said something about it being the preferred search, over the one prominently displayed at the top of Forum pages.

Over and over again, I've tried this search term, or that search term, continually having the Forum tell me that it has entered flood control mode, and to please wait X seconds before trying again. That's irritating. I've never encountered that in any other Forum in the 23 years I've been participating in online communities.

There isn't, after all, a sign attached to that Search saying "Don't use this, use this instead!"  If they are not labeled, how am I -- or any newcomer -- supposed to know they are two different searches?

Would also like to ask for a clarification on older threads. I am, as you know, hunting for how to do lots of things. The Rules clearly say that if a thread is older than three months, don't post to it.

At the same time, I was (I felt) chewed out for asking where something was. I should have searched for it. Except... I did search for it,  just using the wrong search which did not turn it up. (see first three paragraphs)

If I find a thread which appears to be about what I want, but there are a bazillion busted links and no pictures, should I post a new message, saying "This thread (link) has a bazillion busted links and no pictures, is there anything newer I'm missing?" as opposed to posting to the busted thread?

I gather this Forum has migrated in the not-too-distant past to new software. That frequently means busted links and moderator headaches. I do want to say thank you to everyone who works on this, be it programming PDN updates, .dlls, or keeping this Forum running smoothly.

• Upvote 1

If working on website navigation, and perhaps The Rules, it would have saved me a great deal of frustration if the reference to the Search linked in those Rules said something about it being the preferred search, over the one prominently displayed at the top of Forum pages.

Preferred? Maybe by some. I like the built-in search much better. If you use the search filters properly, it will give you only a few precise search results. It's much faster for finding obscure things. And, it doesn't use Google, so that's a plus.

Over and over again, I've tried this search term, or that search term, continually having the Forum tell me that it has entered flood control mode, and to please wait X seconds before trying again. That's irritating. I've never encountered that in any other Forum in the 23 years I've been participating in online communities.

Many forums have flood control on their search, but you may not have noticed, because they're usually set a shorter length, like 10 seconds. This site is set to 30 seconds. I too think 30 seconds is excessive.

At the same time, I was (I felt) chewed out for asking where something was. I should have searched for it. Except... I did search for it,  just using the wrong search which did not turn it up. (see first three paragraphs)

Don't take this personally. Just treat as a learning experience, as that's what it was indented to be.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Custom search is mentioned here http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/WebLinks.html and here http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/HelpMenu.html

Ctrl + E in paint.net itself will open the custom search URL in your default browser.

If I find a thread which appears to be about what I want, but there are a bazillion busted links and no pictures, should I post a new message, saying "This thread (link) has a bazillion busted links and no pictures, is there anything newer I'm missing?" as opposed to posting to the busted thread?

If it's a tutorial - mention the broken links in the same thread. It may have been revived in a new form. If the images and links are just dead from old age then I or one of the other Mods will move that tutorial to the Graveyard (where dead tuts get buried ;)).

• Upvote 1

Preferred? Maybe by some. I like the built-in search much better. If you use the search filters properly, it will give you only a few precise search results. It's much faster for finding obscure things. And, it doesn't use Google, so that's a plus.

I'm not unfamiliar with search filters. One of my occupations is dietary research. Since I have a lot of food sensitivities, and run a 5000 person list for people with similar sensitivities, it's critical to know what ingredients are in a product, or what the composition of an ingredient is. That takes digging. 

I'm afraid I must disagree with you that the built in search is more precise, since I could NOT find the item I was looking for under whatever keywords I tried -- yet it turned up at once with the Google search. I realize that there are plenty of people who don't like Google. That's okay -- it's their prerogative. It is also the prerogative of people to prefer the custom Google search.

Don't take this personally. Just treat as a learning experience, as that's what it was indented to be.

Perhaps. But as I said, being chewed out for failing to search when I had searched, with the prominently displayed SEARCH at the top of the page, and not had the item turn up was... irritating. The software in this Forum functions differently from any software I have encountered -- and I have been online since 1987, and participating in online communities since 1992.

What I learned was to be very careful about posting, and to think and rethink what I've said. I deal with newbies all the time. Time after time, I start to write a sharp note to someone, and then I stop, and rethink what I was about to say, and then, as often as not, I say something else. Because they're NEW.

Custom search is mentioned here http://www.getpaint....t/WebLinks.htmland here http://www.getpaint....t/HelpMenu.html

Ctrl + E in paint.net itself will open the custom search URL in your default browser.

Yet -- and this may seem obvious to you, a moderator, and experienced user of both PDN and this particular Forum software -- nowhere is it mentioned that the "custom search" is different from the prominently displayed Search box at the top of each Forum page. It may not seem necessary to mention it.  But believe me, it is. I saw the custom search referenced in both places in the documentation, and it never occurred to me that this was different from the prominently displayed SEARCH box at the top of the Forum pages.

If it were just me, I'd figure I was nuts. But two other people to whom I recommended PDN couldn't figure it out -- and one of them writes documentation for a living.The other is a programmer, and works with digital media all the time.

This Forum has very strict standards for tutorials. I think having links to the plugins needed is super. Wonderfully helpful. Ditto on well-chosen screen shots. But one thing which I, personally, feel would benefit newcomers, would be to make standard what some folk do automatically: Include WHERE the installed plugin is to be found in the menus.

Adding Effects => Render => Clouds to an instruction doesn't take much, but it saves a BUNCH of time for a person unfamiliar with the menu structures. I mean, under Effects, I now have 21 extended menu items, of which (I think) 8 are original to PDN. When you have to search through all of them to find "Clouds" because you don't know Clouds is under Render, that adds a bunch of time to the work. And when you are wanting to try a tutorial, and you need to check to see if you already have the plugins, and have to check through every menu item because you don't know where that plugin would be on the menu, that, too, adds a bunch of time to the doing.

This is probably off-topic for some of this thread, and for that I apologize. It is, however, one of the things which I've found difficult as a newcomer to PDN. (Been using it a whopping 6 weeks on Tuesday.)

• Upvote 1

Actually for a newby it teaches them more to have to look for things. The more you search through the forum for anything, the more familiar you get with the forum and the faster you can find things. The same goes for finding different effects in the program. The more you have to look for the plugin you need the more familiar you get with the purpose of each category and why those plugins are where they are. Once this is learned you will find yourself automatically going to the category you need and find the right plugin at lightning speed. It's all part of the learning process, not how fast you get there.  ;)

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Actually for a newby it teaches them more to have to look for things. The more you search through the forum for anything, the more familiar you get with the forum and the faster you can find things. The same goes for finding different effects in the program. The more you have to look for the plugin you need the more familiar you get with the purpose of each category and why those plugins are where they are. Once this is learned you will find yourself automatically going to the category you need and find the right plugin at lightning speed. It's all part of the learning process, not how fast you get there.   ;)

Well, while I might have the time to do something like that, one of the people I was talking with last night puts in a 60 hour work week writing software documentation for an international firm. She doesn't have time to waste hunting.

Different people have different ways of learning things.

For myself, I learn by setting myself a complex task and then finding the pieces I need to complete that task. Like pearls. :D 

It's the doing, systematically, not the distraction of hunting through every folder, every time I want an effect -- or want to know if I have a plugin. No, wait! it isn't in Effects at all! It's over in Adjustments, er, no, it's in Layers. Maybe. Oh look! That's a cool name! I wonder what it does?

If someone is familiar with graphics programs, hunt-and-find may work just fine to familiarize them with where things are in this program. If someone has never used anything except Windows Paint, or a specialized chart drawer provided by one's employer, the hunt-and-find may be pure frustration at the wasted time.... and the person may go away and never find out how neat PDN really is.

I agree that it's preferable to be 'complete' but we have little control over how tutorials are published. Video tutorials are a good case in point. If they show the use of a plugin there is no way a newb will know that it need to be installed separately.

Tutorials in the Beginner section are aimed at beginners. They explain basic concepts and tend to be simpler and/or more thorough.

You make a good point about the Google search but it is linked to in the rules (1.2). Perhaps the wording should say that it is a different and better search engine?(I.M.O)

As for ways of learning, I really recommend becoming familiar with Paint.NET itself before installing loads of plugins and then only install/test a few at a time.

If you have many installed (to follow the tutorials), then the plugin browser should help find them - here:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/29308-the-plugin-browser-updated-2015-24-01/

Tutorials are a 'way in' for new users but the techniques promoted are not always the best, particularly for old tutorials. Often newer plugins can simplify or give better results. In my view, experimentation is always the key...( but I'm contrary and rarely follow advice!  :D)

Personally I don't see the need for separate Adjustments and Effects categories as they can overlap. I would rather see 'built-in' effects and 'plug-in' effects, but I'm not too concerned about it.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I agree that it's preferable to be 'complete' but we have little control over how tutorials are published. Video tutorials are a good case in point. If they show the use of a plugin there is no way a newb will know that it need to be installed separately.

Tutorials in the Beginner section are aimed at beginners. They explain basic concepts and tend to be simpler and/or more thorough.

<chuckle> I've seen a number of comments on "read the directions for writing a tutorial," so there's some control. Still, I acknowledge that Forum run by volunteers has to have limitations on what the moderators must accomplish, or the moderators would have no time to themselves.Y'all gotta sleep sometime! And then there's silly things like day jobs and families....

I agree, though, on the video tutorials -- one doesn't know if something needs to be installed, where to get it, or how to install it. Or, for that matter, if the tutorial was written for an earlier version of PDN, the screen shots may not match what a person sees on their screen and/or the plugins could have become part of the program.

Agreed that the beginner tutorials are somewhat simpler, but even they have a tendency to assume familiarity with graphics programs beyond the very basics of Window's Paint.  This was pointed out to me by someone who is trying to start using PDN, a very intelligent person, but totally unfamiliar with computer graphics.

Edited by Marilynx

<chuckle> I've seen a number of comments on "read the directions for writing a tutorial," so there's some control. 

Well, guidelines aren't the same thing as control.  I wrote the guidelines, I've seen how many times they've been broken.  :)

The only way to be sure that people are following all the rules to the letter is to individually approve each post, and as you noted....

I acknowledge that Forum run by volunteers has to have limitations on what the moderators must accomplish, or the moderators would have no time to themselves.Y'all gotta sleep sometime! And then there's silly things like day jobs and families....

My one-year-old does not understand what it means to moderate a forum.  Silly kid.  ;)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

You make a good point about the Google search but it is linked to in the rules (1.2). Perhaps the wording should say that it is a different and better search engine?(I.M.O)

THAT was all I was asking. Because, as I said, I actually did read the directions / rules. I'm weird that way. Found both places that SEARCH is referenced. Doesn't say it's different from the one on the Forum pages. Or that if you don't find what you're after in Forum search to try this one.

As for ways of learning, I really recommend becoming familiar with Paint.NET itself before installing loads of plugins and then only install/test a few at a time.

If you have many installed (to follow the tutorials), then the plugin browser should help find them - here:

http://forums.getpai...ted-2015-24-01/

This is where the different ways of learning comes in. My first PDN project was pretty straight-forward. Drawing sized boxes for a Barn Hunt project which needed layers. Had to figure out how many straw bales I needed to buy, and how many of what sized pieces of plywood I needed to have as supports to build some complex tunnels for dog practice. I first created a file with my scaled rectangles, and then started copying and assembling. And nearly lost my mind.

I was really frustrated because I didn't understand the difference between moving pixels and moving selection -- never encountered anything like that before. No program I had worked with had anything like that. I also didn't know that if you have an area selected on one layer, you can't do anything outside of the selection on any of the other layers. Even though I read the directions on all of those, it didn't make sense until I actually did it. (Or had the program not do what I thought the directions said it would. My standard comment is, "I hate it when the computer does what I told it to do, not what I meant!")

The plugin browser looks like a neat tool. Does it go in Effects? Or Adjustments? Or some place else? This was an additional frustration. Good directions on how to place them, plenty of earning not to mix them up,  but no way to discern which ones went where. In most cases, the plugin operator does not say.

Tutorials are a 'way in' for new users but the techniques promoted are not always the best, particularly for old tutorials. Often newer plugins can simplify or give better results. In my view, experimentation is always the key...( but I'm contrary and rarely follow advice!  :D)

Well, and old tutorials may also be confusing because the interface has changed since the screen shots were taken.

Experimentation is always fun. The trick is remembering what you did in case you get an effect you particularly like.

I could wish for the ability to do macros, so if there's something one does, over and over (like steps 5-12 on BarbieQ25's jewelry tutorial!) it could be set to do it with a minimum of fuss. Not likely, but it could be useful.

Personally I don't see the need for separate Adjustments and Effects categories as they can overlap. I would rather see 'built-in' effects and 'plug-in' effects, but I'm not too concerned about it.

What has confused me is the fact that there's a "Color" folder under effects, but then there are a whole bunch of Color-related tools (or should that be "colour"?) under Adjustments, with no (to my uninitiated eyes) rhyme or reason to the organization. There may be reasons for these, though, and I may simply not understand it.

Well, guidelines aren't the same thing as control.  I wrote the guidelines, I've seen how many times they've been broken.   :)

The only way to be sure that people are following all the rules to the letter is to individually approve each post, and as you noted....

My one-year-old does not understand what it means to moderate a forum.  Silly kid.   ;)

I do understand the limitations -- I run a mailing list which, at its peak, was generating 4000 messages a month. It's slowed a trifle. I only have to read around 800 a month now.

And yes, you can ASK people to follow guidelines. The conscientious ones will. The rest....

No human offspring here, but I have a rescue Beagle and an AKC champion longhaired Dachshund who are both strongly of the opinion that I spend entirely too much time on the computer, and that I would be better off spending more time with them. They could be right.

I'll be MIA this weekend and next because we're going Barn Hunting (why would one wish to hunt for Barns? scorched if I know!). Ironically, it was Barn Hunt, a new dog sport (see www.barnhunt.com should you be interested) which is open to all dogs, regardless of breed or the lack thereof which led me to PDN. As mentioned, I needed something with layers to create Barn Hunt practice courses. PAINT, Irfanview, etc. just weren't cutting it. I think I searched on "graphics, layers." Found the program, researched its history a bit, and then dove headfirst into stuff. And discovered far, far more than I could ever have hoped for.

Once again, my serious and profound thanks to everyone involved in the ongoing development of this program, the maintenance of this Forum, and everything else. Yup, I have a few grumbles (mostly having to do with threads that look like they are right up my alley, but which turn out to be missing screen shots or which have gazillions of busted links)  but by and large, it seems to me that ya'll do a fantastic job.

• Upvote 1

nowhere is it mentioned that the "custom search" is different from the prominently displayed Search box at the top of each Forum page. It may not seem necessary to mention it.  But believe me, it is. I saw the custom search referenced in both places in the documentation, and it never occurred to me that this was different from the prominently displayed SEARCH box at the top of the Forum pages.

Added a note to this effect in the Rules.

• Upvote 2

It was a good suggestion. Thank you for pointing it out.

• 3 weeks later...

The paint.net online documentation has been updated.

Changes include:

• Better realization of screen space with a horizontal navigation bar. This stays visible when the screen scrolls.
  • Overhauled navigation menus to improve discoverability & layout.
  • Effects & Adjustments have more detailed descriptions including the controls. The Effect UI is included in the demo image.
  • New font stack for cleaner and more readable text.
  • Many new images and Tool/Effect/Adjustment icons.
  • More tips and hints.
  • Anything else Fuzzy mentioned :D

If these changes don't immediately show up, refresh your browser cache (Firefox: press F5, Edge: http://www.nirmaltv.com/2015/07/08/how-to-clear-cache-and-browsing-data-in-microsoft-edge-browser/, IE: http://refreshyourcache.com/en/internet-explorer-10/)

• Upvote 2