PDN Documentation Feedback -- Menu and UI Demonstrations

I haven't gone through to check out all the updates and pages yet, but for what I am seeing things are looking great! This is like an awesome Christmas present! :star::cake:
I've only skimmed over some pages at this point, and I must say, so far I'm thrilled at how much you added to the fill tool's page!
And I love, love, how you added some UI pictures for some of the adjustments and effects, like Hue/Saturation. The triple image demonstrations are great. Showing the UI, with the before picture, and an after picture, all in a nice group, I love it!

Thank you so much for the updates!

I'm very happy to see how much has been done. If I'm not too annoying yet, here is some more/new feedback. :D

-- For the adjustments page, in the one green tips, you said "The controls on this page operate in exactly the same way".

When I first read that I wasn't sure what you meant. If I was confused for a moment, I can't help but wonder if newbies would be confused for a moment too. I feel silly, but I have to admit, that I didn't know what you meant by "controls" and when I read it with "on this page" I thought you meant a control literally on the documentation page that I could click and do something to. I am familiar with paint.net and I knew I was on the adjustment's page, so it didn't take me too long to re-think what I read and what you were talking about there, but perhaps specifying that you are talking about the adjustment controls or the controls of the adjustments, might be good?

-- Since I'm mentioning how things are worded, I've been speculating about a sentence on the line/curve tool's page. I wasn't going to say anything since I appreciate all the work you've been doing, but if it is ok for me to comment on how things are worded, then this sentence about the rotation....

" Rotate the Line/Curve about its center using the Right Mouse Button to click and drag (the pointer will turn into a double headed arrow - see diagram)."

I don't know why, but something about that sentence throws me off when I read it. This might just be a personal thing, so if it's only me then never mind. I just hope it makes sense to newbies.
From my perspective, I think I would get what you are saying more clearly if maybe you used the word around instead of about? Or perhaps by clicking instead of to click? Or both?

-- With the first green tip on the paint bucket's page...  Is there a typo?
" New to paint.net 4 is the ability to change the color of a fill the fill is still 'active' and not 'finished'. "     Should the word "while" be in there?

Also, down under the image/layer sampling is a green tip, and I really like how that tip is worded as it is a nice sum-up of the functions it talks about, but is it in the right location or should it be up under the animated click and drag pictures?

-- The paint.net logo up in the top left of the documentation, is it possible to have that link to the document's home page?

Again, thank you so much for all your hard work. :)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Thanks for the feedback Fuzzy. I'll have a look at the points you've raised....in a day or two. I'm on holiday! :D

• Upvote 1

-- For the adjustments page, in the one green tips, you said "The controls on this page operate in exactly the same way".

Edited to remove any confusion. It now says "The controls shown in the effect dialogs operate in much the same way:

I've been speculating about a sentence on the line/curve tool's page.... this sentence about the rotation....

" Rotate the Line/Curve about its center using the Right Mouse Button to click and drag (the pointer will turn into a double headed arrow - see diagram)."

Edited to improve readability. It now reads:

"Before a Line/Curve is committed to the canvas, it can be rotated about its geometric center.

Rotate the Line/Curve about the center using the Right Mouse Button. Click and drag to rotate.

As a visual guide that rotation is possible, the mouse pointer will turn into a double headed arrow (see diagram)."

...more clearly if maybe you used the word around instead of about? Or perhaps by clicking instead of to click? Or both?

I like the sound of rotation about the center. Around might indicate a circular path or orbit, which is not the same.

-- With the first green tip on the paint bucket's page...  Is there a typo?

Yes. Fixed.

Also, down under the image/layer sampling is a green tip, and I really like how that tip is worded as it is a nice sum-up of the functions it talks about, but is it in the right location or should it be up under the animated click and drag pictures?

Good point. Moved.

-- The paint.net logo up in the top left of the documentation, is it possible to have that link to the document's home page?

Another good idea. Done.

Again, thank you so much for all your hard work. :)

Thank you for your editing skills!

I'll hold off on uploading these changes in case there are others you find.

• 2 weeks later...

Next round of documentation updates have been uploaded to the website. Among the changes you'll find....

1. Logo top left links to documentation homepage.
2. Links in the body text have been underlined for clarity.
3. Window icons (text adornment) have a new look - rounded corners and recolored title bar.
4. Effects & Adjustments: tips on using dialog controls reworded.
5. Line/Curve + rotation reworded.
6. Heading styles changed for consistency between pages
7. Paint Bucket - typo corrected & tip moved.
8. New Soften Portrait image (NiteNurse79 - thank you!)
9. Swedish language added where appropriate
10. typo on Working with Layers (layer name) fixed.
11. Docs now reference .NET 4.6
12. PgUp, PgDn, Home & End buttons functions added.
13.ToolBar page + rasterization image
14. Move Tools - rewritten
15. Colors Window - numbered reference image & text on palettes.
16. Text references to checkboxes have had unicode symbol added.
17. Corrected Image>Canvas size: uses Secondary color not transparent.
18. Clone Stamp - rewritten with new images to help explain clone opacity and the relationship between source point and destination.

• Upvote 1