How to Install Plugins ×

Planetoid - make your own planets

54 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

Please redownload and install and let me know if it works for you.. Replace all files.. If it does work then it is an issue on my end... This was updated a few years ago and you must have the old download. Hope i was helpful to you being helpful to me lol..

It works fine for me too.

The crash log you provided with a screenshot might help the developers to solve this. The other crash log (text file) belongs to another plugin. It could be another HiDPI issue since you're using a custom scaling factor (250%). Wait until @Ego Eram Reputo looks into this.

1 hour ago, Kamikaze said:

is this plugin dependent on any other plugins in the pack?

No

Edited by otuncelli
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pixey said:

And herein lies the problem, mine is only 20" 😢

Yes I have a somewhat elaborate set up.. Gamers laptop on a 55 inch oled television.. 3840x2160 resolution.. I cannot wait to make more planets when this works for me!!!! Toe Head fixed monolithic text for me yesterday.. He is sooo awesome! Amongst your other exceptionally talented authors.. I can import and export 4k files @ 2100mbps.. Truly marvelous setup for image editing haha..

Can you please give me a step-by-step guide to make the crash reproduce. Not a video, the actual steps.

@Ego Eram Reputo

I'm pretty sure the crash is due to a HiDPI scaling issue.

The HiDPI scaling is failing, causing the control to be absolutely squished, causing the clipping area for the control's Paint event to have a dimension of 0.  ... and crash.

The fix for the HiDPI issue is very simple. I can help you with it.

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

34 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Can you please give me a step-by-step guide to make the crash reproduce. Not a video, the actual steps.

I open paint.net.. I goto   render/planetoid/crash as soon as i click on the word planetoid in the plug in selection folder inside the open program like you are editing an image..the screen says would you like to close paint.net would you like to restart paint.net recommended and one other black dialog box.. i use dark background maybe? 

11 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

I am having an anxiety attack over this lol.. kinda.. Thank you Toe Head for reading my code posts and understanding it.. What a wizard you are kind sir.. I know when something is not correct and I have had multiple members tell me there planetoid is operating correctly .. These issues are probably because of my unique setup.. In Paint.net heaven.. Everything I create is in native resolution of 3840x2160 to take advantage of my monitor/tv/oled/infintie contrast/dying to render planets/love you peeps! And my images can be further edited and downsized when done.. Hard to resize 1080p images larger without pixelating..

I use Shape3D to create my planets. I create an image file that I wrap around the 3D sphere produce by the plugin. I can then recall the settings and change the oriention each time to produce frames of the planet with various shading, angles, and highlights.

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/18968-shape3d-2007-08-24-bug-fixed-september-2019/

planets.jpg.5aadfb95537a7b1ef5bca48dff8cbc68.jpg

BTW - I have an 80" 4K LED Vizio monitor and most of my graphic designs are created to fit that size or greater. I use a company named Fastsigns to produce my prints

It appears to me that you think I am a fanboy instead of an exprience user of Paint.NET. I perfer to use Shape3D to produce my planets because @ 5k x 5k pixel canvases, I get 10 sec render times. I get 10 minute render times with Planetoid. Also I can use planet surface maps from sources such as NASA and USGS to wrap my 5k pixel diameter spheres. When Planetoid drasticly improves in its render times, I will then use it more!

Created in Paint.NET

387765218_PlanetView.jpg.44a6848f8a05e0f065863b52f14c4e86.jpg

Edited by HyReZ

2 hours ago, Kamikaze said:
2 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

Hubba Hubba.. 80 inch would look great in 8k.. You have to try an oled.. No comparison between led and oled.. stunning

In normal viewing distances the human eye cannot detect the differences between 4k and 8K. I will wait a while. My monitor is only 4 years old.

Edited by HyReZ

On 2/7/2022 at 7:56 PM, HyReZ said:

It appears to me that you think I am a fanboy instead of an exprience user of Paint.NET. I perfer to use Shape3D to produce my planets because @ 5k x 5k pixel canvases, I get 10 sec render times. I get 10 minute render times with Planetoid. Also I can use planet surface maps from sources such as NASA and USGS to wrap my 5k pixel diameter spheres. When Planetoid drasticly improves in its render times, I will then use it more!

Created in Paint.NET

387765218_PlanetView.jpg.44a6848f8a05e0f065863b52f14c4e86.jpg

What hardware do you have? 

Edited by Kamikaze

On 2/7/2022 at 8:33 PM, Kamikaze said:

What hardware do you have?

And the image you included was simply mind blowing excellent.. IMO ten times better than the other set up you might be promoting using an alternative to planetoid.. Maybe look into updating your machine? A render time of ten minutes would be an issue.. No posts here about that is there besides yours?

Edited by Kamikaze

17 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

And the image you included was simply mind blowing excellent.. IMO ten times better than the other set up you might be promoting using an alternative to planetoid.. Maybe look into updating your machine? A render time of ten minutes would be an issue.. No posts here about that is there besides yours?

All image that I post to this thread contain planets created with Paint.NET and the Shape3D plugin. I get good render time without  a hardware upgrade. BTW I am using 150% scaling.

From looking at the disassembly of Planetoid, there is a lot of room for optimization. If there's a GitHub for it I could post my notes on what could be some easy, big wins.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

53 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

From looking at the disassembly of Planetoid, there is a lot of room for optimization. If there's a GitHub for it I could post my notes on what could be some easy, big wins.

Hopefully the quick fix comes out before a lengthy full optimization.. I just need the HiDPI fixed so this plug in works for me.. The Author assured me that Toe Head and himself are working this out..Toe Head somehow helped with the monolithic text (see monolithic text by the fantabulous and irreplaceable TR..) and had a bug fix out in just a moment not days or weeks.. Some of these authors see the code like Neo ha..

Planetoid.dll seems compiled with Debug configuration. Fixing this alone should improve performance drastically.

[assembly: Debuggable(DebuggableAttribute.DebuggingModes.Default | DebuggableAttribute.DebuggingModes.DisableOptimizations | DebuggableAttribute.DebuggingModes.IgnoreSymbolStoreSequencePoints | DebuggableAttribute.DebuggingModes.EnableEditAndContinue)]

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the offers of help @Rick Brewster and @otuncelli.

I've created a GitHub repo for the project & invited Rick & Toe_head. @otuncelli if you want to contribute, PM me your GitHub handle. 

• Like 3