Program Totally Broken?

Friday

Recently, Paint.net has totally refused to work completely  I can't open it, by clicking on a shortcut or anything. It just shows; "Paint.NET has encountered an error and must close."

I can't open it with a shortcut, trying to open it with an image, through open with > x, anything. I can't uninstall, re-install, or anything. It all rounds back to the error stated above.

I would post screenshots, but without PDN I don't know how.

Thanks for any and all assistance, not having PDN available to me is like not having my left arm.

Hi - have you tried this?

Control Panel

Programs & Features

Paint.NET - Repair

If this doesn't work, post again and I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I will respond.

Good Luck!

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I have Windows XP, and so my control panel is absent of the 'Programs & Features' category.

But a new problem has arisen, I tried installing it again this afternoon and now instead of "Encountered an error and must close" I receive the message "Fatal error during installation".

The icon for PDN on my desktop turned back into the actual logo, but I can't launch it from there, it shows "Searching for PaintDnotNet.exe" and it never completes, as I would expect.

When I go into my install directory, (C:\Program Files\Paint.NET) the only file there is a blue-lettered folder named "Staging".

Inside is two Windows Installer Packages, and when double-clicked as to launch them they both lead to this

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32630803/pdnhelpfolder/wipep.bmp

Thank you nanettealsop for trying to help me, even though it was to no avail.

If I'm not mistaken PDN is no longer 'supported' for Windows XP .

But you should still be able to get to the Repair mode somehow.  Try this in XP:

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.  Try clicking on the Paint.NET to see if you have a choice to Repair.

Good luck!

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

When I click the program in the "Add or Remove" window, it only gives me the option to remove. On other programs though, I have the option on some to remove or repair.

I am still trying to install PDN version 3.5.10, not anything beta or experimental.

I didn't do anything different or special, abnormal or out of the ordinary, the program just had of the issues earlier stated with no triggering or anything.

Edited by Friday

I tried installing PDN again, and a prompt showed "There was an error while installing Paint.NET. (1603)".

So, I was searching for 1603 on this forum, and I found this post; and I think the first bullet ((1) NOTE: Uninstaller requires that .NET Framework is installed!) And the download link for the .NET framework may fix my problem. The only problem is, I can't click the link, as it is broken and not fully available.

So, if someone could give me that link, I'm sure I stop being a problem.

I also tried going into my "Add/Remove Program" list and repairing anything that I could that had anything to do with .NET framework, but that did not work either.

I had a problem with my old xp lately and it crashed. When I went to reformat again I ran into a problem getting any updates for it. They are non existent at MS and you can only get them from pirate sites which I do not recommend,you will bring home something else you might not want,lol. I looked all through their archives and everything seems to be deleted or moved for XP.  MS is trying to get rid of XP and force us to upgrade,I believe this was there final step. I finally abandoned the old girl and put her in the pile with the other dinosaurs,lol. Good thing I have a newer windows 7 PC and a Vista that I converted to windows 7 so that now I have two windows 7 PC's,good graphics cards,big hard drives and loaded for bear on the Ram. Or should I say loaded for the future update of PDN?  lol   ;)

I recommend you upgrade also,even if you can't afford new,you can get some pretty good deals on PC's that are a couple years old and buy a 7 disc cheap. You can also find sites like newegg where you can build a good and fairly cheap system. If your PC is new enough you might even be able to convert that to windows 7,check the specs and windows 7 comes in 32 and 64 bit so it might work well in it. You might have to also upgrade to a good graphics card and plenty of RAM though.

Edited by skullbonz

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

I have a brand-new top of the line laptop, I just like my XP much much more. It's a desktop I built 2 years ago for about $1,600, so I just really don't want to replace it. I'm not a fan of W7, I even like Vista more than W7.

So, I was searching for 1603 on this forum, and I found this post; and I think the first bullet ((1) NOTE: Uninstaller requires that .NET Framework is installed!) And the download link for the .NET framework may fix my problem. The only problem is, I can't click the link, as it is broken and not fully available.

So, if someone could give me that link, I'm sure I stop being a problem.

If someone could just give me the specified link there, I could probably fix this problem.

Okay, let me try to emphasize this more effectively. I think the problem is to due to my Microsoft .net framework is either corrupted or broken, whatever term you want to use. I've tried repairing anything .Net in my add/remove program list, that didn't work. I've tried searching for it on the internet to install it again, can't find it because I don't know anything about .Net things. 

So, in 

this post

If someone could give me the full link of this  :arrow-down:

thislink.PNG

I could probably fix my problem. Right now I can't click the link and it take me to a incomplete site. It just takes me to part of the link, breaking it, and I am unable to see the page. It takes me to a "This page does not exist" redirect. Or, more specifically, this page http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta .

So if someone could just give me the full link seen in this post

Or more specifically here spefthislink.PNG

I could probably be done and PDN fixed.

I'm sorry for being so bothersome but it seems like I can't live without PDN.

Google ".NET re-installation or repair" and find a solution from Microsoft - yes?

• Upvote 1