PaintNet won't open my picture

Today after working on some digital art for several hours using paint.NET, and since I know <snip> happens, I saved every 10th minute or so.

Then I closed it down for a second to work on another picture, but now when I try to open the first one, it says "there was an error opening the file"

For what I found out, it could have something to do with the picture expanding the pixel limit, but if so, shouldn't it had said so when I saved the picture?

What I really know is how I can open it, or if it is even possible.

Edited by BoltBait
This is a family friendly forum. Please keep it that way.

I opened Paint.Net and then clicked "file" and "open recent" and then the picture and that was when the error message appeared. I can't seem to find the picture anywhere else. I've tried to look at my computers library and pictures, but I just can't find it. I had a shortcut to the picture on my computers desktop, but that won't open either.

Hmmm, that's an odd one. Sometimes when I have encountered the same error, I would "right" click the file, select "open with" and browsed for paint.net and the file has opened ok for me 8 times out of 10 at least.

I do assume you saved the file as .pdn ?

Edited by nitenurse79

ZXCBOoZ.png

Uh, I don't think I did. I had a png file with the same name. I thought I could just overwrite that file with the new one, but reading what you just wrote, I consume that might be the problem?

If that is the case, is there anyway I can change it to a .pdn file, without opening it and would that solve the problem?

My guess would be you deleted the file extension (.png) itself when you saved it and because it now reads xxxxx instead of xxxxx.png paint.net does not recognize it. Try letting windows do a search of your computer and see if it finds it. If/when it does find it, simply add the file extension to it and you should be fine.

When I tried to open the file, it's name was and still is Reigel Jane.png

So it is not like the png part of the name has been removed or replaced. Also, when I found the picture and I looked at the details, it said the file was a png.

I've tried to open it with several programs already, but they all say that the file is either harmed, broken or too big. (roughly translated, since I don't know the correct English terms)

You didn't save it to a USB drive then remove it?

If you can locate the file then upload the file to a server (like Photobucket or ImageShack) and post the link here. There is a slim change someone can work some magic on it - just don't hold your breath.

As mentioned previously, it might just be a lack of a proper file extension.

Search your hard drive for the filename WITHOUT any extension. If you find something post a screenshot of the location (showing the file - obviously).

Have you tried Rick suggestion of renaming to a pdn?

In the first screenshot, right click on the file and choose Rename from the context sensitive menu. Type in a new filename complete with the .pdn extension.

Then try opening it with Paint.NET.

@Ego Eram Reputo

Already tried that and it didn't helped. Only now it stopped saying that the file was damaged, instead it just say that "the file could not be found"

---

Is it true that there is a limit to how big a file can be? Because it's current size is 545 KB. and I think I read somewhere the limit was 500 KB?

Hmm.

I'd make a copy of it, just so you don't have to mess with the original, then try some of these things:

-Try and open it in a Picture Manager/Viewer such as 'Windows Picture Viewer' (usually works for me) and see if it opens in that.

-Rename the duplicate to 'Whatever.pdn' then change it to 'Open with -> Paint.Net' but make sure you deselect 'Always open file types with this program' (or whatever it says).

Remember that no other application will recognize the .pdn extension. That one is particular to Paint.NET.

Yes, I've tried to open it with Paint.Net, but I also tried to open it with other programs too, since I figured that I didn't had anything to lose.

My point was that excepting Irfanview (see Midora's post quoted below) no other application will recognize the .PDN extension.

Irfanview opens .pdns and allows to view the composite image and the layers in multipage mode.

Thanks for the update Midora. Nice to know.

If you didn't save it as a pdn file to begin with,then it converted it to what ever file extension you saved it as and I am afraid you lost the pdn file. I have lost a few before I caught on to "Always check what you are saving as" before you click save. What you are trying to do is similar to waking up a dead person,lol. ;)

But I never knew about Irfanview before so I will check that out and remember it for the future. ;)

Edited by skullbonz

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery