WOTW 37 Discussion Thread

Possum Roadkill

WOTWWater.png

WOTW # 37 Rusty Time

WOTW Comp Rules: All submissions must be created in Paint.net with the exception of renders and stock photos when allowed.

Minimum size is 800 X 600. There is no maximum size, but keep in mind that people will want to look at your image

and if it takes too long to load, they may not look at it.

Please try to make your image in the proportion of a Wallpaper, because this is a Wallpaper comp. (Duh!)

NO PLACEHOLDERS Do not post an entry until it is a finished product. NO WIPS !

Obviously you cannot use the stocks or renders as your entire submission, so the majority of your image should be

created in Paint.net.

Special rule # 5. Do not anger the Possum.

# 37 Rusty Time !

Theme Rules. Please read this !

Theme is " Rusty Time !"

The Theme Idea:

You are to make a wallpaper of an image using objects that are rusty or corroded.

The objects can be anything you desire as long as they are in a state of corrosion.

You may add any other elements to your entry that you choose.

For more information please refer to this article;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrosion

You must use Paint.Net but you may also use other graphics programs as well. You may not use stock images or renders.

This comp will run for TWO Weeks !

DO NOT Post your entries in this thread. PM your entries to me and I will post them as they come in.

Entry period for this competition will run through 8:00 p.m. Saturday evening ( October 8th, 2011), U.S. Eastern Time.

All submissions entered up to this time will be allowed.

If you have any questions, post them in the Discussion Thread or PM Possum Roadkill. I would be happy to help anyone interested.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

• 2 weeks later...

i'm not an artist .. i actually just started paint.net a while ago .. i'll take this on cuz i find it fun ! but i have 1 question please ..

should the image be like just something rusty that looks good or should it contain a lot of (objects) like you written ? thank you ! boltbait.smile.png

Yes, it can be either. It can be a single rusty object or several objects. It's your interpretation that matters. Just have fun with it !

We have four really good entries ! Entry period closes on Saturday. Sorry, I put the wrong date on the entry instructions. I forgot I was going on vacation last week. (Really? I know, duh!) Anyway, three more days ! Keep the entries coming !

Dang

I took a gamble on you not logging in today.

Never mind, 5 great entries :D

Sorry man. I know I've been erratic on the comps the last few weeks.....months. If it's any consolation, I had a piece in the works and didn't get it done. Maybe we can have a round two for this theme? I think it's a really interesting theme that we could have more people explore. So hang on to that piece buddy, we might have a Rusty Time part 2 !

Winners are !

1st Place

Entry 3 Yellowman 7 votes

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae223/DeadPossums/WOTW/rustytime.jpg

2nd Place (tie)

Entry 4 Madjik 6 votes

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae223/DeadPossums/WOTW/rusted1s.jpg

Entry 5 Skullbonz 6 votes

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae223/DeadPossums/WOTW/1-d-c.png

3rd Place

Entry 2 dug 5 votes

">http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae223/DeadPossums/WOTW/tulips.png

also entered

Entry 1 Ventor1 4 votes

">http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae223/DeadPossums/WOTW/rustyn.png

Thanks to everyone who entered. Very close competition! Great entries all!

Thanks Possum, and thanks to all who voted, participated and watched but didn't cast a vote.

5 people only voted, of course if we eliminate the participants, because I assume they voted.

Looks like there isn't enough who interested in competitions.

Yes, I'm concerned about this trend. At the top of the poll it says that 10 members voted. So, with the 5 entrants plus me would be 6 voting. That would be leaving four additional people who voted. So yeah, it does seem that the interest in the comps is on the wane. That being one of the reasons I put the SAC and Photo Manip comps on hiatus. I have brought back the SAC for this week for Halloween, but the fact remains that we have lost a lot of participants from all the comps. Maybe it's time for me to hand things off to someone else that might bring a new energy to the comps.

Your enthusiasm is not in question. I believe you're a massive asset to the forum!

If the competitions are poorly patronized, then let them go cold for a while and then bring them back at a later stage to see if interest has improved.

Personally I feel there are too many competitions for the total number of people submitting entries. If there was ONE monthly competition I bet entries would improve. So how about quietly (or not so quietly) murdering a couple of competitions and allowing the winner of the next comp to select both the theme and the type of competition?

For what you do here.... thank you.

I love the concept of the digital age with the analog behind, Yellowman. There are so many great elements in this image.

I have been away from the forums for a bit & missed the comp & the voting too which is really sad for me. I like to support the comps because I know how much hard work goes into them in terms of running them & also creating entries for them. The entries for this one were really good & there is so much variety in the concepts too.

The SOTW was always well patronised but after having to wait for ages for voting/new themes/results etc. people lost interest. This is certainly true for me for the sig comp. When we migrated to the new forum we had a lot of comps & it was hard to enter them all. Since then life has become busy for so many of us & those who originally wanted the comps are no longer here. It is in no way a reflection of Possum's hard work or leadership.

I agree with EER, have one comp & run it within the month. So that you have a theme & voting that finishes at the end of the month & the start of the month is a new theme. That way everyone would know whether it was time to vote or do an image for the comp & take a load off our already overloaded Possum.

In the current comp, I'd like to congratulate not only the winners but all of the entrants for their wonderful efforts. :star: :star: :star:

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I’ve been away from this forum for quite some time. Decided to visit a few days ago and noticed the Halloween contest and out of the blue decided to enter. Unfortunately it seems that I may be too late. I sent the PM with my entry this morning and then saw this thread.

What brought me here was on Google+ a few days ago one of the major developers asked about a paint program that didn’t cost an arm and a leg. I posted a link to CNET’s Paint.Net download and another one to the Paint.Net forum. One of the photographers mentioned that Paint.Net didn’t have mask and I told him he should visit the forum and see how much Paint.Net has improved. Anyway, I’ll start posting about this on Google+, Twitter, and Facebook, also several gaming forums I belong to.

Thank you for giving of your time so generously. I was never active but I used to visit quite often. Whichever way it goes, I’ll still do my little postings. That's not much, but it is a start. I'm sure several others are like me and just got very busy with other things and forgot to return. :-)

Thanks again, Marilyn aka Skystars5

Skystars5banner2.jpg

Thanks for having these comps,I love the challenge and enter as many as I can. Except abstract art,I just don't get that,but maybe I do and don't know it,lol.

Congrats yellowman,I almost voted for yours too,lol,nice one.

Paint.net is an awesome program with awesome plugins that is easy to understand and questions can be answered at an active forum making it in my mind the best art/picture editting program out there. On top of that it is free. I tell all my friends about it and post the links in a few places,but for some it won't work because of older OS's or small CPU's. But I keep telling people and dazzling them with some pics to get em interested,lol,and I'm still an amateur,lol.

• Upvote 1

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

• 1 month later...

Your enthusiasm is not in question. I believe you're a massive asset to the forum!

If the competitions are poorly patronized, then let them go cold for a while and then bring them back at a later stage to see if interest has improved.

Personally I feel there are too many competitions for the total number of people submitting entries. If there was ONE monthly competition I bet entries would improve. So how about quietly (or not so quietly) murdering a couple of competitions and allowing the winner of the next comp to select both the theme and the type of competition?

For what you do here.... thank you.

This discussion will be resumed at the end of THIS thread.........