Making a Jewel

barbieq25

Hi, im catron44 and all though i have been following quite a few tutorials I am new to the forums. Im actually only 12, and the jewel was the first proper tutorial I tried to follow, (as you may notice) so I decided this would be the first place I would post :) I pretty much crawled through these steps and just managed to muster up this....

Anyway, these are the results:

Oh btw, just a question, what is a wire frame, and how do I remove it? :/

post-85928-131917732933_thumb.png

Edited by catron44
Pyroonwater.png

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/293565_10150325991835978_520450977_8001958_786976475_n.jpg

I have had pdn for years actually, but I finally decided to make an account and start posting the things from the tutorials. This one took me a while because I hadn't messed with pdn in a while, but I'm glad I found this tutorial. It turned out much better than I thought it would! :)

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Replaced overlarge image with link (Rule #29).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't like resurrecting an old topic. However, I liked the tut and here's the result I got. I used the Gnommish "A" and got a different frame. When the frame was finished, I had to delete some white spots, and I think it turned out pretty cool. I used a wallpaper from Wallpaper Abyss for the jewel, and a rose in the background. However, I kind of messed around and got a background that I wasn't really pleased with so I'll give the jewel another go sometime.

I hope you like it:

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt53/Burngirl2008/Jewel.png

Replaced overlarge image with link (Rule #29).

I don't like resurrecting an old topic. However, I liked the tut and here's the result I got.

Actually, I sincerely appreciate this on the tuts as most people never post results to see what can be done to gain inspiration. And of course to bump them up to the top of the list for a second look by those who may have dismissed them in the past.

(And yes I'm guilty of 1/2 finishing some tutorial work and what not and hence not posting any results myself ... so easily distracted am I ...)

Thanks for sharing this and the source link. Some nifty stuff there.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Burngirl, tute topics are not considered as resurrecting or necroposting.

I think you have made a really good jewel. I like the outcome a lot. Good on you for trying it out & putting in your own variation. You could use radial transparent gradient to keep just the more solid part of the background red with a plain black layer underneath & maybe experiment with using colour flip/rotate on the red.

A fine effort & I am the same - some efforts never see the light of the forums but I learnt a lot along the way B)

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Ah, I see where after step 16 gets tricky.

I may need to explain it a bit more. Ctrl + A selects the entire image, Ctrl + C copies it & Ctrl + V pastes it. I should have mention this needs to be on its own layer below the gold wire. & you get rid of the excess after the Blur bit.

The highlight layer goes above the gold wire layer.

The most important part of the tute was the gold wire, which you did beautifully!

Ctrl + C copies it....
THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

How about using Layers | Import from File? (or at least giving it as an alternative)

It seems that opening, selecting, copying then pasting is just what Layers | Import from File was designed to do. boltbait.wink.png

• Upvote 1

Ah, I see where after step 16 gets tricky.

I may need to explain it a bit more. Ctrl + A selects the entire image, Ctrl + C copies it & Ctrl + V pastes it. I should have mention this needs to be on its own layer below the gold wire. & you get rid of the excess after the Blur bit.

The highlight layer goes above the gold wire layer.

The most important part of the tute was the gold wire, which you did beautifully!

Where I got lost the most was the rotate/zoom part mostly, I could not figure out what layer to do this on (the dupe layer or the imported one) and then when I made the dupe layer active and ran zoom on it everything went out of shape, that was before I tried the shape 3D part :lol: Again I didn't know what layer to do this on. I will try it again I'm sure :)

ZXCBOoZ.png

After you get the flag image on its own layer, Rotate/Zoom to 2.00. Then copy it & then hide the layer.

Now go back to the layer you zoomed to 2.00, & this is where you Radial Blur Deluxe @ 0 Steps and maximum amount or whatever you like.

Then you work on the layer that you hid. So after unhiding the layer you use the Radial Blur Deluxe as shown in Step 21.

Stay on this layer & work the rest of the steps for S3D.

The Rotate/Zoom is mostly so that you can select the part of the image for the gem that you want to have. The rest is then deleted.

The black fill is so that the background Radial blur doesn't show through the gem.

It will go out of shape using the zoom but be sure that you have it centred first. Please so keep trying & ask if you get stuck. That is what I am here for...I am a teacher & there may be others who have the same questions.

You did well, I thought. Just would be good to have the highlight on the gem. There are a few great tutes that you can use. Helen's Galaxy Ball is a fabulous one & there are a couple of great glass ball tutes that are well worth a look. Kiosk Ball is aother that will help you understand how to do the highlights better. I am still strying to get it perfect :roll:

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Hi barbieq25

I think I did well enough to post. The first time I tried doing this the wires looked all burnt and the highlight was too heavy and all my layers were out alignment.

I had trouble with the swoosh too. I'll just copy what you wrote for nitenurse79 above.

This is my first posted image for a tut. Yeah...it worked

jewel2.png

Edited by doughty

SloppySig.png

Well here it is. I am new to Paint.NET and this is my first serious bit of artwork that I have ever done, period. I don't think I have an artistic bone in my body. I did have a bit of an issue with certain parts of the tutorial at first. I couldn't get the inner yellow circle to show, for some reason it would only show the parts of the circle that overlapped the lettered circle, so I had to cheat and do it earlier and work between the layers, and it seems to have worked.

Thanks for the tutorial, I could not have done it without your expert help. Wish I fully understood exactly which bits did what (I have no idea what drop shadow does!) as half the time I just had to assume that you know what you were doing and that it would look okay in the end.

I'd like to know how Sarkut got the reflection in the gem too.

post-88404-132738142448_thumb.png

signature1small.png

Drop shadow put a shadow around things & by adjusting the sliders you can choose how much shadow & where the light is coming from.

A very nice outcome from you. Pleased to see you here & hope there will be much more :lol:

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Well here it is. I am new to Paint.NET and this is my first serious bit of artwork that I have ever done, period. I don't think I have an artistic bone in my body. I did have a bit of an issue with certain parts of the tutorial at first. I couldn't get the inner yellow circle to show, for some reason it would only show the parts of the circle that overlapped the lettered circle, so I had to cheat and do it earlier and work between the layers, and it seems to have worked.

Thanks for the tutorial, I could not have done it without your expert help. Wish I fully understood exactly which bits did what (I have no idea what drop shadow does!) as half the time I just had to assume that you know what you were doing and that it would look okay in the end.

I'd like to know how Sarkut got the reflection in the gem too.

You might be amazed at how much artistry can be found in those who make the claim of being boneless. ... Given just a moment of disbelief and the right medium, people usually surprise themselves.

Keep at it and hopefully you'll probably find these effects and other methods of image creation will open up some ideas for you.

Nice outcome as well. And of course, welcome to PDN and the forums mate.

Gallery at PDN-Fans