Apply text formations to another object

Go to solution Solved by Ego Eram Reputo,

Hey all, 

Looking for some direction toward how I can recreate the formations I applied to the text in each of these images and apply them to the symbol in the image. As you can see, the text pops in both images nicely, but the symbol looks very flat in comparison. I tried to paint the symbol to match the text, but with the curves and corners it looked awful, and it took hours. Plus, I'm just not great at painting.

Are there any plugins that can help me with this? I've got a few, but I haven't found the right tool yet, or I just don't know how to use them properly. If someone could point me toward a helpful tutorial, that'd be great too. I'm afraid I don't know how to describe what I need clearly enough for any search engine to give me sufficient results. 

Thanks!

DRAFT001  Ryno Logo 2400x1600 Trans.png

DRAFT002  Ryno Logo 2400x1600 Trans.png

• Solution

Hi @CybrRyno - welcome to the forum :)

Plugins required: Bevel Selection & Outline

Steps:

1. Isolate the large symbol on its own otherwise transparent layer. How? Use the Magic Wand + Ctrl key and click on both parts.
  2. Press Ctrl + X to copy & delete from the first layer.
  3. Press Ctrl + Shift + V to paste the symbol into a new layer.

The smaller letters have a suble bevel. You can see this as a lightening of the north and west edges.

• Select the symbol again. Apply Selection > Bevel Selection with Depth 5 & Strength 2.0. Light Color: 165,50,50. Dark color: 99,32,45.

The next thing to add is the outline. It's color is something like 65,0,0.

• Deselect the symbol and run Outline Object with the color  mentioned and radius =3.

Final thing is a drop shadow.

• Effects > Object > Drop Shadow. Radius 11, Distance 7, Opacity 0.9, color Black.

textfinesse.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

^ My bevel colors are not exact. The light color is too light and the dark color is too far away from the symbol's red. Treat all my suggestions as starting points which you should modify to your liking :)

Thanks Ego.

The symbol and text are already in separate layers, both transparent. It just made sense to do so from the start.

I will give your other suggestions a try first chance I get.

• Upvote 1

@Ego Eram Reputo

I was able to use your instructions to make the modifications I was looking for and it turned out great.

Now, I've started over on a bigger canvas. I recreated the text portion only this time I added gradient.

I'm struggling to make the same gradient on the symbol. I'm also having trouble recreating the bevel and outline on the symbol following the same steps you gave me. I suspect this is because everything is larger now. I made the canvas 3840x2160 and maxed the text size to modify then reduced it. I then enlarged the symbol to line up. It's probably overkill, but I figure the finer the detail in a large image the better it will look when reduced. Plus, I'll have the large image for whenever it might be needed. Projection, ads, presentations, etc.

Anyway, I'd really like to learn how to do this if it's possible. What do you think? May I send you my file pdn file privately?

4 hours ago, CybrRyno said:

I made the canvas 3840x2160

Seems....quite large :)

I'd go with a much more humble 2x size for development purposes. When you're done editing, you can make a copy and scale to down 50%.

Your original image is 1000 x 562. This could be cropped to 821 x 376, but you want to leave a margin for the drop shadow.

4 hours ago, CybrRyno said:

I'm also having trouble recreating the bevel and outline on the symbol following the same steps you gave me. I suspect this is because everything is larger now.

At this size you're going to need to scale the effects up significantly. As I said above, try a more modest 2x canvas size = 1700px x 780px.

I suggest also trying BoltBait's Creative Text Pro. It's been more or less replaced by Text Fun Factory, but it has a valuable feature that seems to be absent from new version. In the first tab there's a checkbox called Apply to existing object instead of text which allows all the neat text shading effects to be applied to objects. You'd probably have to reshade both the text and non-text to get a consistent look, but I think you could get something close to the original, and perhaps even fancier..

On 5/10/2024 at 9:27 PM, MJW said:

I suggest also trying BoltBait's Creative Text Pro. It's been more or less replaced by Text Fun Factory, but it has a valuable feature that seems to be absent from new version. In the first tab there's a checkbox called Apply to existing object instead of text which allows all the neat text shading effects to be applied to objects. You'd probably have to reshade both the text and non-text to get a consistent look, but I think you could get something close to the original, and perhaps even fancier..

Yes, I used BoltBait's Text Fun Factory to make the text portion of my image. It looks great and it's a fun tool.

I'm trying to add the same type of effects to the symbol as well. I'll check out Creative Text Pro, Thanks

I think it's because all the shading on the object is provided by Creative Text Pro, which includes the color. The last tab allows for Color Adjustment, so that may do what you want. Other tricks include copying the original flat-colored version to another layer, and using blend modes (such as Multiply) to combine the colored version with the shaded version.

@CybrRyno You are much better off going with @Ego Eram Reputo advice.  In Creative Text Pro you choose a color or texture by creating one (like your dark red color) and copying it to the clipboard. Then choose the Texture tab and in the drop-down menu select Apply Clipboard image. But you will always get a black-and-white bevel. There is no color wheel for choosing your own colors. I'm sure with some tweaking, you will get it right. 

4 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

@CybrRyno You are much better off going with @Ego Eram Reputo advice.  In Creative Text Pro you choose a color or texture by creating one (like your dark red color) and copying it to the clipboard. Then choose the Texture tab and in the drop-down menu select Apply Clipboard image. But you will always get a black-and-white bevel. There is no color wheel for choosing your own colors. I'm sure with some tweaking, you will get it right. 

Ego Eram Reputo's method is certainly a good one, but there is a fairly easy way of using Creative Text Pro while still preserving the original color. It does require an additional plugin, Split Color and Brightness.

The method is:

• Duplicate the layer.
  • Set the top layer's blend mode to Multiply.
  • Apply Split Color and Brightness with its default settings (Display = Color, Blending Mode = Multiply) to the top layer.
  • Run Creative Text Pro on the lower layer.
  • Merge the two layers.