Make an Engraved Medal! (Lots of Screen Shots!)

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

This process works best with a black & white cartoon character or other line art. I chose my hero- Calvin, from Calvin and Hobbes. You won't need anything else that doesn't come with PdN 3.07.

First, get it to a workable size. Mine is 300x425, but obviously yours will be different depending on your image's dimensions.

We'll make the metal cutout that forms the medal itself first. Duplicate the layer and gaussian blur it until the "halo" around the image extends out a bit. (Play with the slider until you have a bit of a buffer zone). Once you've done that, move this layer to the bottom.

Magic Wand outside the blurriness, with your tolerance between 0-10% (whatever gives you the least blocky cut). Invert your selection (Ctrl+I).

Choose the rectangle tool, change it to Fill Mode, make your color light gray, and then make the box so that gray fills the entire selection, covering up the Gaussian, as so (I made the top layer invisible so you can see what's going on):

Duplicate the layer twice. You should now have three identical layers of gray, in the general shape of your item. Leave the bottom one alone, and turn the top one transparent; on the middle one, add noise to the selection (Intensity in the 60s, saturation 0).

Motion blur (Angle 0, Distance in the 60s), then deselect it (Ctrl+D). Now go up one layer (to the topmost layer of gray), make it visible, and emboss it at -45 degrees.

Select your magic wand, turn your tolerance up to about 10, and shift-click on the gray area; hit delete. You should be left with only the black and white (on that layer), which will become the highlights and shadows of our medal.

Go back to your top layer (if you made it invisible, go ahead and make it visible again). It should hold your original line image. Gaussian blur it; if you had to scale the image down at the beginning, go around 20 pixels or so. Conversely, if you had to scale it up, it should already be slightly blurry, and you should only need less than a 10 pixel blur (and maybe no blur at all). Play with the slider until it gets to a size that's still recognizable and fits within the metal base you already constructed.

Magic wand again! Change your tolerance to the 15-25 range, and shift-click the white area. Invert the selection (Ctrl+I), then select the color black and your rectangle tool again, and make another rectangle that fills the entire selection. Invert your selection again (Ctrl+I), and hit delete.

Duplicate your layer. Run another emboss on the topmost one, this one at 135 degrees (the exact opposite of the first emboss - this is what will make it look like it's sunken into the metal, like an actual press or engraving. If you want it to look raised, use the same angle as before). Again, with your magic wand, select the gray area and delete it.

On the second layer down (the thick line drawing), invert the colors (Ctrl+Shift+I). Drop the transparency down to below 70, but above 60. I used 63.

Now go back down to the layer with the brushed metal effect on it (the one you ran motion blur on, which should be the fourth down). Duplicate it. Magic wand the empty space around it, then invert the selection. Make sure that you have black and white selected as your colors, then run clouds with the scale and roughness both fairly high. My scale was 751, my roughness 86; these seem to be good values.
</p>

<p>
	<a href=14

Set this layer blending mode to Overlay, then drop the transparency down to about half (120-150%). Deselect (Ctrl+D), then run a feather of 1-2 pixels on EVERY LAYER except your cloud layer. It's important that you do this before you flatten the image, or you'll end up with very pixelly edges.

And there's your newly formed medal!

Congratulations. Now find a picture of yourself and put it around your own neck. You can even mess with the curves and make it gold!

Hope you enjoyed my first crack at a tutorial! Criticism/improvements welcome.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Very sweet, but it would have been good to add an Image Heavy disclaimer.

Done. I didn't even think of it; thanks!

You might want to give your layers logical names.

Hmm...good idea. It would definitely make describing it easier...

and ncfan51: Very nice! Careful in the top-right though; you have a transparent part between the medal and the shadow. When you're selecting the white surrounding area, you might want to turn the tolerance on your magic wand down a little bit.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

ncfan51: Very nice! Careful in the top-right though; you have a transparent part between the medal and the shadow. When you're selecting the white surrounding area, you might want to turn the tolerance on your magic wand down a little bit.

Yeha, I realized it when I posted the pic on the Art of Writing Forums. I'll fix it when I have time :D

tagflowsig.png

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

I am a disco dancer. +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

• 6 months later...

yes, i was just thinkings something like this would be really cool, i have a photo i want to do it with, im going to do this and post when im done :mrgreen::D:mrgreen::D

EDIT: wow, i just reallized how old this thread is :?

1000sigwithout1000.png

My deviantART iGraphix

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this on your page if you're one of the 4% who will.

skilletism (n.) - The abnormal liking of the band "Skillet". (see PANHEAD)

panhead n. - an individual who shows extreme enthusiasm for the band Skillet. Generally driving for hours to concerts with frying pans riding shotgun.

I'll be quite honest - I'd entirely forgotten making this tutorial!

I'll have to look through it some other time, and see if there's anything I could improve...

That it is. Wow, it's been a while...

I wasn't very good when I started, was I? :-)

its not that bad, i wouldnt of thought of this

1000sigwithout1000.png

My deviantART iGraphix

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this on your page if you're one of the 4% who will.

skilletism (n.) - The abnormal liking of the band "Skillet". (see PANHEAD)

panhead n. - an individual who shows extreme enthusiasm for the band Skillet. Generally driving for hours to concerts with frying pans riding shotgun.

Doesn't work that way. Try it. Yeah, not so simple, is it? ;-)

As I said earlier, this was posted while I was a pretty young user, probably around 100 posts old or so. I don't know why it was revived, but it certainly needs some updating.

Which I'll do later.

:-)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like you skipped a few steps, Simon... :-)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Blast from the past.  The timestamp on this says 2007, but I'm pretty sure the actual post date was more like 2005 or so.

Witness my noobiness and lack of Feather tool!

• 2 years later...

Drat. This link gives me Snap! 404. This page does not exist.

Please check archive.org before posting such things. https://web.archive.org/web/20070524025359/http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=4381

Looks like this tutorial has since been deleted, or was never migrated over to the current forums.

There is also this one, which is on these forums, but has broken images.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150926173329/http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/26665-chrome-effect-chain-links/

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab