Real Car -> Toy Car conversion.

cjmcguinness

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

This isn't a really a tutorial in the strict sense, as it does not really demonstrate any type of effect or technique - it's just a bit of fun.

We are going to take a picture of a full-sized sports car and modify it to look like a cool Toy Car.

Start with a picture of a car - must be taken completely side-on for best effect.

Start with the Rectangle Select tool and select the front area of the car - ahead of the wheel arch, from top to bottom of the picture. (If there is a flare on the wheel arch select outside that as well, it'll look better).

Now, switch to the Move Selected Pixels tool and, selecting one of the middle points, contract the size of the selected shape by 50% (so, if your selection is 100px wide, squash it to 50px)

Switch back to the Rectangle Select tool and now select the middle area of the car, the whole area between the front and rear wheels.

Again, use the Move Selected Pixels tool to squash this selection to 50% of it's original size.

Then, using Rectangle Select again, highlight the are behind the rear wheels.

Once more, use the Move Selected Pixels tool to contract this to 50% of it's original width.

Now, you need to move all the pieces back together, so that they join up neatly. The simplest way to do this is with Madjik's Gravity plugin.

Press CTRL+D to make sure any active areas are deselected - alternatively you can press CTRL+A and select the entire canvas; either will work.

Then go to Effects > Distort > Gravity: Select the direction as 'Left' or 'Right' and all the pieces will be moved back together.

To get rid of the left-over space, use the Magic Wand tool and select the transparent area of the canvas. Press CTRL+I to invert the selection and go Image > Crop to Selection (CTRL+SHIFT+X) and voila - you have turned a full sized car into a toy version.

This'll work for any car as long as the pic is taken directly side on...

Like this.....

or this.....

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png

Before:

mclaren.png

After

toymclaren.png

One of the best tuts ever! Maybe because I love cars and the end results look so real.

PS: The car is a MclarenF1

100th Post!!! :D:D

chalksig2-1.png

Ooooh, you squashed a BMW, I wonder what Rick's gonna say to that?

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

Wow! Thanks BoltBait - I never expected in a million years that this would get sticky'd.

Hope everyone has some fun with it.

Here's my latest - Father & Son Bugatti

12_BabyBugatti.png

PKRM.png

How about this:

toycarfront.png

From this:

ferrari.png

same idea just use the headlights as your "tires" so from headlight to headlight then no more resizing.

chalksig2-1.png

@ Someone2016

I like it, looks like it belongs in the Pixar movie 'Cars'

Never thought of doing this effect on a head-on shot, cool.

PKRM.png

I tried this on car images at various angles.

It's do-able, but can look kinda weird.

Like this.....

12_BabyZonda.png

PKRM.png

yours is a lot better than mine, but why stop at cars. Humans, monkeys, penguins.

Edit: A genetically altered mini-monkey, then a regular monkey then a genetically altered super tall monkey

mini-monkey:

minimonkey.png

reg.:

monkeyreg.png

tall:

monkeytall.png

searched on google to get these pics and they are by mongabay.com (can't violate a copywright)

chalksig2-1.png

That monkey one looks GREAT when it's put into mini version ;D

Good job on the tut CJ and to Someone16 for the monkey.

Posting my results when done.

Why be a genius cj? Why do it?

Back from being mass banned from computer. Got me a new laptop too ;)

Watch this space. It will do tricks, sooner or later.

Nice little tut, and a lot of fun to play around with too. Suprised I'm the first to do a bike, took a HD Fat Boy and made a Flat Boy outta it.

HD_Flat_Boy.png

Jude, who's into "chopped" bikes

Juds_Fire_sig.png

100% PDN