Is there a plugin that does something similar to median?

Sorry, no.
A plugin could link each white pixel to the nearest white pixel, ('Gossamer' does something similar). No plugin could work out exactly what you think the original image represents and draw it.
Even the best so called 'A.I.'! - that's why we need humans (for the time being).👽🙃

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

17 minutes ago, Red ochre said:

Sorry, no.
A plugin could link each white pixel to the nearest white pixel, ('Gossamer' does something similar). No plugin could work out exactly what you think the original image represents and draw it.
Even the best so called 'A.I.'! - that's why we need humans (for the time being).👽🙃

Actually, this isn't true at all. If you connect all the dots, you can definitely determine which region is the outside and filter it out. Then reconnect the dot separately with distance threshold. However, I must add that this is too much work to do no matter what scripting language or programming language you're using.

G'MIC Filter Developer

6 minutes ago, Red ochre said:

Prove me wrong!... please... but I'm not.

From a theoretical standpoint?

1. Erase the colored pixels or have them in separate layer.

2. Connect all the dots.

3. Find areas that are outside the lines of connected dots.

4. Largest area implies the outside area.

5. Erode using largest area as base.

6. Pixels outside the eroded area is the outside base. That means you can filter out the inside.

7. Connect the dots using distance threshold within the inside area.

Yes, it's doable from a theoretical standpoint. As far as actually proving it, I do have a g'mic script that can be used to detect non-alpha pixels and output them into vectors of coordinates, but I'm not at the point where I want to do proof of concept for this and related things.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

I do have to agree that exact replication isn't possible, and I do noticed that there's more pixels on the second image. But, without re-scaling, and accepting the rounding errors that comes with pixel-processing, connecting it similar to the second image is certainly possible as it's not impossible to filter out the background based on area and filtering them separately. Eroding is used as an aid to extracting outline.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

uh guys.....I think @skrubbed is looking to soften the pixelated edges. Or perhaps thicken them. Hence the use of Median. It's hard to say without sighting the original image.

I see, you want to smooth your image. It is small and pixels have pointy edges. I would suggest to make your image very large, with lots of pixel (600 ppi). Then play with Median / Surface blur... / Sharpen + / Morphology plugins. Once you have smooth lines you can resize your image back to the original size.

smoothing-pixels-573238e.png

Edited by Eli

Try this:

1. Effects > Blurs > Gaussian Blur @ Radius = 2
  2. Duplicate the layer
  3. Top layer, press F4 & set the Blend mode to Additive
  4. Lower the Opacity to around half to control the brightness

Dnd-vial.png

You could then Flatten to a single layer and run Effects > Photo > Sharpen on it to crisp up the edges a little.

Dnd-vial2.png

Another thought is the recently released Grow plugin by Red Ochre.

I got reasonable results by setting the Size Variety to 0 & the Mode to Magenta.

Dnd-vial3.png